The Reupload Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukas Kade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reposting videos must be a good strategy because so many channels are getting millions of views, but how are these channels able to pass the monetization review if they are uploading all these copyrighted videos?! Would they not get tons of duplication matches and content ID matches? And what happens if the original video that was copied gets deleted but the copies remain? A few examples of such channels -

Life Awesome, All Of Vines, FuzzyRek, Jazzykillz99, Beautiful Life

How are these channels able to get so many millions of views without being deleted or losing monetization? Reuploading copyrighted content is clearly against Youtube's terms of service and it is unlawful, but these channels must be getting a fortune doing it and they don't get shut down.

Maybe they pay for the videos or get the videos sent it by viewers, but I can't believe these Youtubers are taking the time to message each video owner and get permission to use the video clips first. I even saw one channel use one of my videos in a compilation without asking, but I did not do anything about it because it's probably not worth the effort. Has anyone used your videos in a compilation video and what did you do?

Last edited:

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Has anyone used your videos in a compilation video and what did you do?
No not that I know of anyway. I have had 4 or 5 of my videos featured on other channels but that was me asking the channel owners if they would show my video (they have much bigger channels and the point of course was to get more subscribers) But to answer your question I dont know how they can get away with it

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reuploading copyrighted content is clearly against Youtube's terms of service.
No it's not. If this was the case, thousands of channels would have been already taken down. Uploading content to which you don't own the rights is against Youtube's terms of service. Almost all the uploaded videos to YouTube are copyrighted (with the exception of Creative Commons and Public Domain videos). It is perfectly okay to upload materials to which you own the rights to (you created it by yourself, or acquired the rights to them somehow (purchasing, getting permission etc..).

For these channels re-uploading videos there are several possibilities:
1. They have permission (rights) to upload the videos to the channels. There are some sites offering materials (video, music, pictures) for a membership fee or per piece. Also there are platforms for videos submitted by users, where they give consent for their videos to be used and monetized. Most of the popular channels like WatchMojo, FailArmy, People are awesome etc, are here.
2. They don't have permission and the videos are ContentID claimed by the original copyright owners (that's what happens to videos re-uploaded by other people from my channel). Thousands of channels that don't care about YouTube's own monetization and monetize by their own ways are here. For example product distributors monetize by selling the products, not advertisements, so they don't care if their videos are claimed by the original authors.
3. They don't have permission and the videos are not claimed. They risk getting copyright strikes. Many novice and startup YouTubers are here for example @ASMR Amour
4. They managed to clear claims that appeared to their videos (@Idec Sdawkminn) has more insight into this.

Note that from the above four examples only 2. can generate money for the original copyright holder, while 1,2, 3 and 4 generate money for the re-uploaders. No wonder it is so wide spread, taking into account it is much easier to repost, make compilations, top10, commentary, reactions etc videos, than to create original content, which can cost thousands of $$$.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I got an email that others from YouTube and it asked me to review the videos that were stolen from me.
Its totals hundreds if no thousands of copies. And the videos total millions of views.
I get the following options - Ask the channel to delete / Or send them an email.
I have not got time to contact all. What I would prefer is an option to take the revenue.. Let them keep my video but give me the bucks!

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I got an email that others from YouTube and it asked me to review the videos that were stolen from me.
Its totals hundreds if no thousands of copies. And the videos total millions of views.
I get the following options - Ask the channel to delete / Or send them an email.
I have not got time to contact all. What I would prefer is an option to take the revenue.. Let them keep my video but give me the bucks!
wait... don't you have the right to do that?? claiming the video and you'll get the money? or it only works for companies like Warner or Sony or only works if you have 100K subs and the new copyright ID feature???

Tbh I've been asking me the same question.. All these compilation channels of Famous Twitch streamers... I want to believe that the streamers are getting the money cause I see ads on those videos but Idk is kind of hard to believe all of them will claim the video? Also,, who gets what part of the profit if 5 people claim the video? It's quite interesting lol

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
wait... don't you have the right to do that?? claiming the video and you'll get the money? or it only works for companies like Warner or Sony or only works if you have 100K subs and the new copyright ID feature???
The new Copyright tool don't let you claim and monetize videos. It only informs you that someone else re-uploaded your video.

You don't need to have 100K subscribers to get access to ContentID. I got my ContentID at around 12K subscribers, but it is possible to get it even without having a channel. You just need to meet some very specific criteria.
Tbh I've been asking me the same question.. All these compilation channels of Famous Twitch streamers... I want to believe that the streamers are getting the money cause I see ads on those videos but Idk is kind of hard to believe all of them will claim the video? Also,, who gets what part of the profit if 5 people claim the video? It's quite interesting lol
Claiming and ContentID is very complex topic and before using it there is a course which explains the questions you ask.

In short, if 5 parties have claim on a video, the revenue is split evenly, but if one of the claimants wants only to track, but not to monetize the video, the least restraining rule is applied (i.e. no monetization for all, only track).

P.S. Here is the course you may want to check if you want to know more about ContentID - creatoracademy.youtube.com/page/course/contentid

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
The new Copyright tool don't let you claim and monetize videos. It only informs you that someone else re-uploaded your video. P.S. Here is the course you may want to check if you want to know more about ContentID - creatoracademy.youtube.com/page/course/contentid
Mmmmmm thanks so much for the info but according to Youtube's Content ID official video you can:
- Block the video
- Monetise the video
- Track data

They even say they paid out millions of dollars in revenue to content owners but hey I might be confusing some stuff. Either way, thank you and I can't post links but you can easily find that video just google Youtube Content ID. I was thinking about YouTube Copyright Match Tool which seems pretty similar when I said 100K subs. Thanks so much for telling me I can apply for Content ID,, I'll try it even though I don't think my channel can apply but at least I can try!

Lukas Kade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well the guy that made a compilation with my motorcycle clip got 751,945 views and Youtube did not say one peep about it to me. The only reason I found out was because he made the thumbnail from my video. This channel has a Google docs video submission form where it says if a video is submitted the owner will receive credit in the video and I got none. I only have 241 subscribers and it would have been nice if I got credit so at least I could get a few more.

The problem with a small channel is not having any monetization to help make good content or buy the rights to use other people's videos. Making a video submission form to get free videos to use would only work with enough traffic and subscribers. It would take a very long time to contact all the video owners one by one to request permission to use their videos and most would likely not even answer. Even if they said yes Youtube could still count the video as a content ID match or duplicate, right? Would it be such a bad idea to repost the copyrighted content but give the owners credit and a link back to their original videos, but only do it long enough to get the required subscribers and watch time to be approved for monetization and then delete all the copyrighted content before it gets striked?

Reactions: GameVestment

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Mmmmmm thanks so much for the info but according to Youtube's Content ID official video you can:
- Block the video
- Monetise the video
- Track data
Copyright match tool <> ContentID.

P.S. Gaming videos and gaming in general are not very suitable for ContentID unless you are a game publisher. It is because of too many false positives. One of the things you learn in the YouTube academy and by experience as well. Once, by accident, I marked one review with a short play of game from my channel in ContentID and I was astonished by the amount of false positives.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Would it be such a bad idea to repost the copyrighted content but give the owners credit and a link back to their original videos, but only do it long enough to get the required subscribers and watch time to be approved for monetization and then delete all the copyrighted content before it gets striked?
If I understand correctly you want to upload copyright content (like compilations) to get 1K subs and 4K hours... and IMO is a pretty bad idea. What people don't know now is that this year YouTube is MANUALLY reviewing every channel and you have no idea how many channels I saw and people complaining because Youtube considered them as Duplication (People uploading videos they don't own). That's why is such a mystery for me to understand Compilation Channels,,, I think it's because they are old channels and they've been generating good revenue so YouTube doesn't care or maybe Compilation can fall under Fair Use but I don't see how or why.. cause you aren't transforming the work that much. Anyways, that's just my opinion! Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.