The reason why you won't succed

Wookiees

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It seems one of the only ways to get big now is to have a big person shout you out or co sign for you.
Never before was it so easy to succed on youtube. But to make it happen you must make good content.

The only way to know if you are making quality content is to analyze your average watch time per video.

Success is a direct consequence of having a high retention.

Minikinart

Reaction score
I'm definitely one of those that have a... practically non-existant growth in terms of number of subscribers and views and that does Youtube as a hobby, but I don't really care. What drives me is the fact that I don't know how close I am to succeeding. Maybe I should quit because I'm bad at it and it's a waste of time, but at least this way I know I'm doing something and not just sitting in my room looking at the ceiling. And if I quit I will surely never succeed, but if I just keep making videos then some day I might succeed. I don't think making bad videos is bad neccessarily, as you do get better with almost each video you make and that's how you learn, but I definitely need to pay more attention to analitics and study each video and try to guess what works for me and what doesn't. And it's not only about succeeding, I will still keep doing these videos even if I don't see any more growth because it makes me feel good. Sitting around doing nothing and knowing I'm wasting time makes me miserable, but if I actually do something productive I instantly feel better.

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It is like using the agile methodology for software development. Continuously learn and innovate. Don't be afraid to fail, because you will never get better. Watch time is important, and a longer video does weigh heavier than a smaller video with a higher watch time. That is just weighted averages and part of the engine that YouTube uses.

As long as a person is willing to learn, adapt, and try new things they will eventually succeed on YouTube. The old saying, Fall down seven times, get back up eight.

Wookiees

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Man what you say is the exact reason why some people can't get more than 50 views after 500 videos and 2 years on youtube.

Instead of analyzing what makes people watch my videos, at what moment they leave the videos and how can I improve myself to keep them 30 more seconds in the next video, you just recommend to continue uploading long videos that almost anybody will watch entirely, just because "it's better for the seo to make long videos".

Maybe better for the seo but not better for one's community.

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Not quite what I was saying. Nor was that my recommendation.

I was agreeing with you in terms of people need to continuously learn and improve. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

On the other hand, I was just indicating how things are with the YouTube engine. Just how their SEO works.

There is a lot of merit when it comes to what is causing people to leave at 5 minutes for example. Is there a long pause, am I being to bland? There are a lot of things you can learn and tweak from there. If a person makes certain kinds of content that typically is better off going 20 minutes plus, then there is more leg work and research to do in terms of how do I keep the viewers engaged for the entirety of the video.

xxheathermarie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Maybe because improving audience engagement is relative to each person's channel? Or that retention time is not as important as watch time? Heck, the only thing retention time is good for is to know how long your videos should be. And finally, there are plenty of advice given here talking about call-to-action and retaining viewership.

Not everyone does YouTube so that they can grow at high levels or look for financial freedom. There are plenty of people here that do it for a hobby, for enjoyment, and for seeking out their passion. No amount of views or subscribers should stop people from doing that.

Instead of trying to put people down for their own intentions and their motives, how about you spend some time sharing your own experience in being successful?
THANK YOU... My advice video sometimes have awful audience retention, or awful view count... But its helping SOMEONE so I don't care whether it makes me "famous." I'm on YT to help. However, I've never had anywhere close to 10% retention rate. I would be concerned if that were the case.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So, in the last 28 days, my average viewer retention has been 32%. This would mean that I'm not getting as many repeat viewers as I could be, right? My channel effectively started 2.5 years ago. I had it for a lot longer, but it was just used as a video archive for other things and I didn't have any subscribers.

I averaged about 125k views per day in the last 28 days. I have about 28k subscribers. How much do you think my channel would improve with higher average viewer retention?

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Wookiees

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, in the last 28 days, my average viewer retention has been 32%. This would mean that I'm not getting as many repeat viewers as I could be, right? My channel effectively started 2.5 years ago. I had it for a lot longer, but it was just used as a video archive for other things and I didn't have any subscribers.

I averaged about 125k views per day in the last 28 days. I have about 28k subscribers. How much do you think my channel would improve with higher average viewer retention?
The main question is how can you improve it ? You're making a very specific content (different from vloging, cooking or gaming) where you don't appear so it's quite complicated.

To my mind the best strategy for you is to make your videos on some trending movies, series, songs or whatever else that a lot of people are going to search for the next days. Thus you would have a clearly defined format that will make people come back on your channel (to see about which trending topic you made a video) and you will have a lot of new viewers (if you master seo).

Reactions: Idec Sdawkminn

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The main question is how can you improve it ? You're making a very specific content (different from vloging, cooking or gaming) where you don't appear so it's quite complicated.

To my mind the best strategy for you is to make your videos on some trending movies, series, songs or whatever else that a lot of people are going to search for the next days. Thus you would have a clearly defined format that will make people come back on your channel (to see about which trending topic you made a video) and you will have a lot of new viewers (if you master seo).
I see. It is kind of difficult when a lot of the advice I read doesn't pertain to my content. I was considering doing a trending video each week. At least 95% of my videos are ones requested by viewers, and by doing almost every request, as well as having a video schedule of when they can expect to see their request up, it always gives them a reason to come back. A lot of people make regular requests. They can invest in the channel by having a direct impact on what goes up. I think people are inclined to be more interested in something they are invested in. The downside to this is that people don't necessarily requests things that will be the most popular. But maybe having a trending or "current events" video once a week will remedy that.