The reason why you won't succed

Wookiees

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm really surprised that everybody are giving pieces of advice about titles, keyword, the right time to post videos, the lenght a video should have etc.. but anybody wonders "how to engage my audience ?", "How to make videos with 80% or more average watch time", "what will make a viewer to come back to my channel after seing one of my video ?"

I can't understand people who, after several months or years on youtube, continue to make long video with barely 10% watch time and they hope that if they are enough patient their chance will come.

As one of the most popular french streamer and youtuber said "it's not a question of luck, if you are still making barely 500 views per video after one or two years on youtube the problem comes from your content".

And the source of the problem is a lack of self criticism.

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Maybe because improving audience engagement is relative to each person's channel? Or that retention time is not as important as watch time? Heck, the only thing retention time is good for is to know how long your videos should be. And finally, there are plenty of advice given here talking about call-to-action and retaining viewership.

Not everyone does YouTube so that they can grow at high levels or look for financial freedom. There are plenty of people here that do it for a hobby, for enjoyment, and for seeking out their passion. No amount of views or subscribers should stop people from doing that.

Instead of trying to put people down for their own intentions and their motives, how about you spend some time sharing your own experience in being successful?

Bizaron

Reaction score
Post-apo wild west version of Czech Republic
Channel Type
Animator
This is a very good point. I am perosnally focused mostly on the content of my videos and I always try to fugure out why did or didn't something work and learn from it. I don't have any clickbait titled videos yet or anything like that although I am gonna experiment with that one, too.

Reactions: tahlia

Wookiees

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Maybe because improving audience engagement is relative to each person's channel? Or that retention time is not as important as watch time? Heck, the only thing retention time is good for is to know how long your videos should be. And finally, there are plenty of advice given here talking about call-to-action and retaining viewership.

Not everyone does YouTube so that they can grow at high levels or look for financial freedom. There are plenty of people here that do it for a hobby, for enjoyment, and for seeking out their passion. No amount of views or subscribers should stop people from doing that.

Instead of trying to put people down for their own intentions and their motives, how about you spend some time sharing your own experience in being successful?
It's false, nowadays average watch time is more important than subs. Make a simple test : Take 2 videos speaking ablout the same subject. Watch 10 seconds of the first one and the whole second video. You will soon notice that other videos from the second channel will appear in your recommandation tab. It's much more easier to make a video that people watch than a video that makes people sub to your channel.

For the second point, why do you think audience retention is something "relative" ? There are plenty of articles and videos speaking about how to keep your audience's attention.

I know that my message is different from what people are used to one this forum : "never give up your channel is awesome", "keep going and your turn will come" etc.. But is it really helpfull ? From what i have seen on this forum people have forgotten that a good video is a video that people watch. A good channel is a channel made of videos that are watched. Making a 20 minutes video with a 10% average watch time must be seen as a disaster. What will help a small channel : a 5min long video with 80℅ a.w.t or a 20min video with 10% a.w.t ?

Nowadays youtube's algorithm nows better than you what you want to watch, and it will show you some channel wheter you follow themor not. So, instead of making 100 video and making 500 views per video after one or two year, one who wants to succed on Youtube should start by learning how to make a 2min long entertaining video, then a 3min long etc.. I personnaly thing that keeping viewers attention is something that one can learn (for exemple a relevant video about that is "how to keep your audience's attention" on Tedx Talk channel).

So i stand on my position : a video has to be watched entirely, from the first second to the last, and it should be the main subject of this forum instead of all these topics asking "when should i upload my videos ?"

Reactions: tahlia

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's not true, everyone grows at their own pace! I know a YouTuber who has 1 million subs it took him 3 years to get 1,000 subscribers I've only been on for 1 year and I'm so close to 3,000! It doesn't always mean they don't have good content there's plenty of YouTubers who have amazing content and they don't get a lot of subscribers/ views

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Watch 10 seconds of the first one and the whole second video. You will soon notice that other videos from the second channel will appear in your recommandation tab.
That's not the point. The point is that overall watch time is more important than retention. It's been tested quite heavily now. Follow the YouTube figureheads and you'll see what I mean. 10-minute watch time for a 30-minute video (33% retention) is better than a 5-minute watch time for a 10-minute video (50% retention). There's a reason why watch time is shown in your analytics dashboard and not retention.
Making a 20 minutes video with a 10% average watch time must be seen as a disaster.
Proof?
a video has to be watched entirely, from the first second to the last, and it should be the main subject of this forum instead of all these topics asking "when should i upload my videos ?"
This is all based on speculation. Again, there are people and channels that have dissected the algorithm much more extensively.

Reactions: Krounzakuk

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm really surprised that everybody are giving pieces of advice about titles, keyword, the right time to post videos, the lenght a video should have etc.. but anybody wonders "how to engage my audience ?", "How to make videos with 80% or more average watch time", "what will make a viewer to come back to my channel after seing one of my video ?"

I can't understand people who, after several months or years on youtube, continue to make long video with barely 10% watch time and they hope that if they are enough patient their chance will come.

As one of the most popular french streamer and youtuber said "it's not a question of luck, if you are still making barely 500 views per video after one or two years on youtube the problem comes from your content".

And the source of the problem is a lack of self criticism.
Wrong. Everyone has a limit. If your limit is 500 views it is 500 views. And it isn't the content either. You can make stellar high quality content, but if the person in that stellar content is not "follow worthy" you will never gain traction. Source? Me myself and I. Sure, I have a video approaching 100K views and am closing in on a total million channel views. But this took me 4 years to get to. And then there is the simple fact that there are people out there that create for the sake of creating. Anything that comes with it is bonus.

World's Greatest

Reaction score
I had one channel which I've deleted (because it was in the gray area of copyright and I didn't want it to affect my main channel) and it had the highest watch time around (here). It was the content that people liked and they asked for more. Everytime I upload a video which were 6-12 hours long , I saw the watch time skyrocket over and over. I even saw two skyrocketed watch times hitching on top of the other. It's the content. Every video build on the next, so the user had to watch it from beginning to end. It was barely a month old with barely any subs but the few subs made watch time in the 80,000 min range. It was amazing.

My main channel's watch time isn't that bad either.

Sorry, I pushed the publish button before finishing typing.

Last edited:

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I understand where you are coming from. I disagree that 500 views is a bad thing, if the size of the audience is 500 and you get 500, then you have 100% of it. But there are thousands upon thousands of channels with videos that never break past 100 views (many of those channels somehow have 1000-5000 subs from some reason) and they put videos up without thinking clearly of how they will turn out. Usually younger and more inexperienced people(nothing wrong with that) see a video of some big channel talking about their lives, and think they can do it too and get exactly the same result. Of course once you do that, then you've cracked the code for being rich without having to "work", the dream of all millennials, but thats besides the point.

though, one never knows what the "next big thing" will be and it could very well be one of us.

I have 1,325 subscribers right now and average about 4000-5000 views per vid. if I went about 5-6 videos in a row that got only 50 views, I would definitely quit. If there wasn't any growth from the start, I'd also quit as well.

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ever work in a warehouse or retailer job? Crappy pay and it takes years to make something decent. Don't expect YouTube to work a different way. Every first step in anything is going to be a struggle. This is what they call the build up!!!