The Purpose of an Intro?

kluless

There are a lot of threads here about intro length and other things, but I was wondering what the purpose of an intro really was, in everyone's opinion. I'm thinking it's just to give viewers something familiar to hold on to and to generate positive feelings, but how is everyone else thinking? I know some people don't even believe in intros.

Mine is just a static (albeit pretty and completely self-made ;) ) image around 5 seconds with a bit of music, but I might change it if I find some new knowledge. I think an intro is especially important for a new channel like mine!

It's all about the branding. Makes people associate you and your content with a certain aspect/image. It also gives people a feel for what's about to come in the video. :)
Mine's also a picture (made it myself) and some music, but I'm premiering a new version this week! I'm very excited!

I go back and forth with it. Since I get a lot of views on Reddit, I've been afraid an intro will make people just stop the video. I like how Tim Schmoyer tells a few seconds about what's coming up, plays the intro and then starts the video.

I do have an intro in three of my videos that are a "Pick Your Favorite" theme.

well an intro makes ou channel recognizable...people will see the intro a second time and remember (if the intro,and your content was good).oh i remember that..that was good.
and hopefully he will subscribe then because he has 2 good opinions about your channel :)

To let people know it is from me and/or just spread my branding, so people have some vague idea what it is when they see my avatar :) (but I use just simple intro, so it shouldnt be very disruptive)

Yeah I think its just a branding thing. It does make it more professional looking as well, I suppose.

We stopped using one a while ago so people wouldnt have to guess from the start whether it would be a good video or not - we wanted to make sure they immediatley knew we didn't put any effort in.

The intro is a knife with two blades. Like some of the guys above me said... if you're intro is 10 seconds long, probably it's gonna push back the viewers. For me... the best intro are the words, if you're a gaming channel... but that's very hard to think of. If you're making how to videos or vlog... its good for you to have an intro, BUT... I personally think that the intro must be not longer than 5 seconds.

Your intro is the first impression. A great starting 5 seconds can indicate that you truly care about your product. Intros aren't necessary though.

It just lets people know that it is your video and also it is advertising because if somebody shares the video your name will be there at the start of the video for everyone to see

Back