The path I want to take my channel down!

When it comes to playthroughs (gaming) do you prefer uncut gameplay or cut gameplay?

• Uncut playthrough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cut playthrough

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Matthew Still

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
I've been thinking a lot on the path I want to take my channel down! If you know or don't know my channel it's basically gaming so far (playthroughs, funny moments etc). I've decided to make other kinds of content alongside gaming! I still want to continue with my current style of videos but I want to include videos like vlogs and things like that so I can appeal to more than one community!

I'd like to know your opinion on this! Is it a good idea to you or not? I'd also like to know when it comes to playthroughs do you prefer uncut pure gameplay or do you prefer jumpcuts every now and then?

Your views and opinions on all this would be much appreciated! Thank you for your time! I know it's very precious and I'm greatful for everyone of you who reads this

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the scripts / ideas / planning forum. :)

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I would advise you against making a vlog channel if you already let's plays. People who come to let's plays will dislike vlogs and vice versa. If you really want to make vlogs, make a separate channel. If you're trying to make vlogs purely to attract new audience (ie, not because you're really into it) the charm will wear off extremely fast. Do what you love making and, in time, audience will come.
As for cut vs. uncut playthroughs, it is more difficult, as I'm no gamer. I suppose it also depends on the game, so shorter games might be better for uncuts. Also, it depends on the story - is the story really important? Is the strategy you show also important? No-s in this regard would lean to the cut gameplays.

Reactions: Matthew Still
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Overall I'd say go for uncut with your gaming videos, but not always.

If you've had a strong emotional reaction to something you're playing: I know this is a hackneyed example, but take Five Nights at Freddy's. (Also, do you show your face? That'll make a big difference with this.) If you watch someone playing the first game for the first time having no (or only the vaguest) idea what they're getting into, you watch their expression as they go from excitement, to listening intently to Phone Guy, to discomfort, to horror at their predicament - and then their panic as they try to avoid being iron-maidened. Take that all the way through to their first death and you've got a really engaging set piece. Or at least, I think you have - I've actively sought out that 0-60 footage.

I suggest this because your audience goes on the journey with you as you go from not knowing what you're up against to however the whole thing concludes. This is going to be a tasteless way to explain it, but if you watch p**n, do you watch the whole thing or do you fast forward straight to the money shot? Exactly - the Freddy's jumpscare is an exciting bit but the build-up is too important to cut out.

EDIT: I've just realised you've linked to a religious channel so maybe my p**n comment wasn't well received? I'm going to leave it in though, mainly because I think you'll understand what I'm getting at. It's about immersion in the experience.

Personally I've watched other Youtube gamers who edit out everything but their own repeated jumpscares, and they just leave me underwhelmed.

So on that basis I'd say leave in the bits where your watchers can go on a journey with you.

On the other hand, I'd say edit out bits where there's nothing interesting to see. To take another done-to-death example, if your'e doing a genocide run in Undertale you have to have Frisk walk back and forth, back and forth a lot to make sure you get your quota of fights. That's not interesting, so edit that kind of thing out. Or if you're confused about something in the game, or adjusting settings... if it doesn't have emotional or psychological value then cut it out.

That's my thoughts on all of that, anyway.

Reactions: Matthew Still