The limit to Monetizing Gameplay and Uploading Gameplay itself

Kolby

So I've been doing a whole load of reading on copyright and monetizing videos, apparently you can't even sell some games back as a second hand to people when you are done playing which boggles the mind(or maybe I misunderstand the rule).

Anyway, what are your general rule for monetizing gameplay other than using the letslay list or just uploading them?

My head hurts now, I'm currently monetizing a video which I did not seek permission of and the company doesn't seem to be replying to my emails so that's depressing, I might stop monetizing it due to to fear it might get taken down later.

It seems you can't also randomly upload game footage which takes this entirely into new levels, you also need to have commentary on them? I'm bad at commentating and I enjoy a rather voice-less walkthrough of a game if I recorded it. But apparently uploading some game footages is also not permissible, so I'm stuck with a few options here while some youtubers can get away with it. I was planning on reviewing other games(not for monetization, just for the fun of it) and record just raw footage but to be on the safe side I guess we can only upload game footages publishers that actually gave permission for monetization right? Is this true?

Just don't worry about it.

My original channel has around 200 videos, many first impressions of a lot of different games. Not once did I ever get a DCMA/Takedown/Copyright Strike.

MOST game companies just don't care enough to do so.

What I can tell you is that the following MAY get you a copyright notice (I.E.A harmless notification that tells you the Game Publisher might run their ads on a video and prevent you from monetizing it).

-Anything Nintendo. They will monetize your work in a heartbeat. If you plan to play Nintendo products, they have a creator program you can sign up for. You get half the revenue.
-Konami. Hit or miss depending on the game.
-Cutscenes. Some companies (like Konami above) have cutscenes flagged to prevent story spoilers.
-Sega can be hit or miss.
-Music. If a game uses commercial music, turn it off. Most commercial music, while licensed by a game company, is owned by a record label. You will always get flagged and they record company will monetize the video themselves. I learned the hard way with Brutal Legend.

Typically outside of the above, you're alright. I honestly think for the most part, Japanese game companies are the worst offenders.

Back