The Good, Bad & Ugly Of Everyone Having A Voice

Peter_Brown

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Everyone wants to have a voice. This is one of the main draws of watching videos on YouTube.

If I watch a video and have a comment to make, I can post it and have almost instant access to the video creator. What other video medium offers that kind of access? Tom Cruise will never read my Netflix review for Edge Of Tomorrow. Nor will Willem Defoe ever respond to my poignant position on his role as Green Goblin, that I type up on IMDB.

YouTube is different. Everyone has a voice. That is both a good thing and a bad thing.

I love feedback from viewers. In fact I read every single comment people write. I no longer have the ability to respond to all the comments, but I do respond to a lot.

For the most part, 99% of all my comments are positive or constructive. Since my channel in firmly in the Making/DIY/woodworking section of Youtube, I tend to get a lot of unsolicited advice.

I have zero problems with real advice, or constructive feedback.
"I like this, but think it would look better in Walnut"
"Peter, you shouldn't hold your chisel like that, you'll get lots of chatter."
"Lol. That's not what WD-40 is for!"
"Those screws are crap, should done a wood spline. Like if you agree"

Honestly. If someone has an opinion, and wants to be share it, I mostly appreciate it. Some people are less tactful than others in the way that they state things. You shouldn't mistake criticism as contempt. We are all learning, we are all beginners at something. Learning from other is a lot of what makes YouTube such an inspiring community.

I've also found that responding to what I first see as critical comments, will later reveal nothing more that just:
  • They might have typed out something hastily.
  • They didn't intend the tone when typing the comment, that I inferred from reading the comment.
Gauging someones tone in a text based message is really hard. It is easy to think someone is being rude, when really they're just a stating something matter of factually.

That is also the reason, I don't mind getting dislikes on videos. It's okay to like a channel, enjoy many of their videos and still give them dislikes on occasion. I don't think of it as The Nasty Button. It's there for a reason. As creators we want to know what resonates with viewers and what doesn't. If you get 5-10% of your viewer disliking a video, then I would call that pretty average reception. 30% or more? Maybe that's not the type of video that is good for your channel. Now you know. As Saturday morning cartoons told us, "Knowing is half the battle" So make a change. And learn to not get upset with a dislike now and again.

Of course not everyone is content to just dislike. Some want to tell you WHY they dislike your content.

"I think this lamp is super ugly. I wouldn't want it in my house, let alone my county."

I will often times respond to this type of comments with "You don't have to like every video I make. I don't even like them all. Thank you for watching, and commenting"

I cannot tell you, how many times I get a note back. "I can't believe you replied! I love your channel!" Really? Well, I guess someone just needed a little attention today.

Which dovetails into my next point. Sometimes people leave inflammatory comments just to get a response. We've all done it as some point in our lives. Saying something nasty to garner a response. Any response at all. Sometime people are just lashing out in order to be heard.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. It's not. We call them Trolls. Feel free to delete these comments. It's probably the best course of action for the super negative comments.

"You should kill yourself."
"You're crazy *&!@ ugly."
"I like the way Captain Crunch cereal tastes"

For me, I'm a big enough channel that my viewers will respond to the troll on their own.

I want the comment section of my videos to be a safe place for viewers. I'm okay with you stating your opinion, or disliking a project or process, but I'm not going to allow attacks or vulgarity to define my channel. If the thread gets nasty, crass or rude. I'll delete it. I don't want to give trolls a voice. But I also want to be careful not to lump people with critical comments into the trolls camp. You need to learn to spot the difference between the two.

So far the process has worked for me.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Very well said. Being a kids channel I have zero tolerance for hate, abuse, etc. I report and block such commenters from posting again. Over 30 in the block list already. Its quite unfortunate such people exist on YT and even more surprising they troll kids channels.
Some kids channels who don't filter their comments - holy cow the abuse and profanity on some videos blows my mind.

Reactions: Peter_Brown

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Nice thread --- I agree. Though I'm not big enough yet to worry about that stuff lol - Also - awesome DIYs!

Reactions: Peter_Brown