The future of YouTube is discouraging...

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
A lot has changed in this past year. You have to watch what you do and say and it doesn’t really matter if you put an age restriction warning. Not that I was planning on doing anything bad! Also the whole adpocalypse thing :( I want to do YouTube for fun, but I would be lying if I said that I wouldn’t like to be paid to be a content creator. It feels like the more time passes, the more that “dream” (I guess you could call it) is out of reach. It sucks. Anyone feel the same?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do also feel a bit discouraged but maybe for different reasons. I don´t feel it´s a lot of fun anymore, since I don´t get as much views as before, but I suspect that because I won´t change my style of content, and people get bored by it!

Xaenca

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A lot has changed in this past year. You have to watch what you do and say and it doesn’t really matter if you put an age restriction warning. Not that I was planning on doing anything bad! Also the whole adpocalypse thing :( I want to do YouTube for fun, but I would be lying if I said that I wouldn’t like to be paid to be a content creator. It feels like the more time passes, the more that “dream” (I guess you could call it) is out of reach. It sucks. Anyone feel the same?
Yeah, I feel you. I really want that Amazontube to become an actual thing. Google will keep doing the stupid things they do if no real competitor challenges them to start giving an eff about their content creators. I have censored myself so much this past few months because of the adpocalypse and even without uttering a single eff bomb, my stuff still sometimes gets hit by their stupid bot. Then miraculously unflags a day or two later. A reasonable platform would tell you what caused your video to be flagged lol not this one, just flag and make you guess.

Reactions: WebSam

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
You can still do YouTube for fun, and you can still become a paid creator.
It is unlikely that YouTube will take your channel down or remove your videos unless you are doing something pretty outrageous. You can still accumulate a healthy following, it's just that advertisers may prefer not to have their products on your videos if you are cursing or covering controversial subjects.
There are so many other ways to be paid for your content though, most successful YouTubers say that they do not rely on ad revenue at all. I listened to a video by Roberto Blake yesterday in which he said that he considers ad revenue as being like a tip jar.

I really want that Amazontube to become an actual thing.
I really want that too, but I don't expect it will be any different to YouTube as far as ad revenue is concerned. If Amazon want to attract advertisers they will have exactly the same challenges as YouTube.

In my opinion many creators are hoping for the impossible. To be able to say what they want about any subject at all and in any form they choose...and to be paid well for it.
Those days are gone, and they are unlikely to ever come back. Just like any other business, you can make plenty of money with YouTube if you work hard, are focussed, and have a consistent quality product.

George Hudson

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It is a lot harder now to get noticed on YouTube but is possible. You need to keep trying don't quit just because it's getting a little harder. Yes, the whole adpocolypse is very annoying but this is just another hurdle you have to get over to do well. Like Yachts For Sale said, YouTube, if you wanted it to be a real job, then you need to treat it as such. Put in all your energy and all your effort and you will see results. Just believe and keep going!

HiMyNameIsDan

#crumbs
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

I'd say for now don't worry about money from youtube, there will come a point when money from youtube is going to very little or nothing at all and creators will have to adapt to that. Just take the music industry for example.

Youtube was never going to be all sunshine and rainbows for a long time but as long as people adapt when things change, youtube and creators will still be the there

Last edited:

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I hope that AmazonTube becomes a thing, YouTube needs some competition so that they can improve and be forced to sort things out. My current channel and previous channel were family-friendly, so I've never really had any issues. I do feel for everyone who doesn't have family-friendly channels though, I also watch a lot of channels that aren't family-friendly channels, and I've heard how many issues that they've been having.

Reactions: CristyTango

MyBigBrain

I've Got It
Reaction score
Way too much pessimism in this forum. Youtube ain't going anywhere. They're in a rough patch that they need to go through. They'll sort it out and flourish.

If a channel can get really big, there are other ways to make money other than monetization. Sponsorships, Patreon, your own website, merchandise or services.

Most people are worried now, when their channels are still tiny. Your channel isn't affected in any way yet, so why worry?

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Way too much pessimism in this forum. Youtube ain't going anywhere. They're in a rough patch that they need to go through. They'll sort it out and flourish.

If a channel can get really big, there are other ways to make money other than monetization. Sponsorships, Patreon, your own website, merchandise or services.

Most people are worried now, when their channels are still tiny. Your channel isn't affected in any way yet, so why worry?
Are they making a profit now? I don't think we can really say they're going nowhere until they are at least profitable. Last time I checked they were aiming to break even :/

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It's very discouraging for channel growth, but I still have fun making my videos (when depression isn't forcing me into hating them)

Reactions: AmberAndGolden