The Frugal Filmmaker

LyfeWithDragons

Mother of Dragons...Wait...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When it comes to filmmaking itself, the creator is only as good as the tools he is given. So, why not think smart and use this tip to save some cash back for the more expensive tools down the road?

For this particular thread I'll be discussing lighting, and how so important it is when filming. Lighting is a key element in making almost even the worst cameras look at best, decent. Much like the human eye, the camera sees "better" when there is more light. As a filmmaker, it's up to you to not only provide the light needed (except when outside, sometimes), though also judge how intense it should or should not be.

Great, now you understand why lighting is so important for filming, let's move on to shopping, and saving you some of that cold hard cash for something else you might need ;)

Now, normally you wouldn't think to find a filmmaker at a hardware store, though that's the best place for a lot of things besides lighting as well; more on that later! Anyway, you are going to want to buy metal grip lamps, about two-three (three suggested). These are cheap and cost you anywhere from 3-6 USD (depending on size and where you go). Next, you'll want to buy high wattage, and lumens. Lumens are more accurate way of measuring the amount of light a particular bulb is putting out, because lumens are a direct measurement of light output. Wattage, even though it is what people have become accustomed to seeing on packaging and measuring how much light they are seeing, it is not really an accurate way to measure light output. Make SURE to buy daylight bulbs, DAYLIGHT! (Also, you can by some baking sheets as a distiller if you want).

Now to utilize your goods! You'll normally have three lights, hence the term three-point lighting. Three-point lighting encompasses areas needed to be defined in your shot. The three lights will also have names! Key light, which will be the main source of like on a subject. Fill light, which will be used to brighten up any shadows cased by the Key light. Lastly, the Back light will be used to highlight the background and separate it from the subject you're recording. Normally, the lights are different wattage, Key being the most, and Back light being the softest. I'd just adjust the distance of the lights accordingly till the shot is how you like!

Well, I hope this helped, and I'll be making more threads like this in the future, thanks for reading and have fun!

Reina

YTT's Grey Warden
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
When it comes to filmmaking itself, the crater is only as good as the tools he is given. So, why not think smart and use this tips to save some cash back for the more expensive tools down the road?

For this particular thread I'll be discussing lighting, and how so important it is when filming. Lighting is a key element in making almost even the worst cameras look at best, decent. Much like the human eye, the camera see's "better" when there is more light. As a filmmaker, it's up to you to not only provide the light needed (except when outside, sometimes), though also judge how intense it should or should not be.

Great, now you understand why lighting is so important for filming, let's move on to shopping, and saving you some of that cold hard cash for something else you might need ;)

Now, normally you wouldn't think to find a filmmaker at a hardware store, though that's the best place for a lot of things besides lighting as well; more on that later! Anyway, you are going to want to buy metal grip lamps, about two-three (three suggested). These are cheap and cost you anywhere from 3-6 USD (depending on size and where you go). Next, you'll want to buy high wattage, and lumens. Lumens are more accurate way of measuring the amount of light a particular bulb is putting out, because lumens are a direct measurement of light output. Wattage, even though it is what people have become accustomed to seeing on packaging and measuring how much light they are seeing, it is not really an accurate way to measure light output. Make SURE to buy daylight bulbs, DAYLIGHT! (Also, you can by some baking sheets as a distiller if you want).

Now to utilize your goods! You'll normally have three lights, hence the term three-point lighting. Three-point lighting encompasses areas needed to be defined in your shot. The three lights will also have names! Key light, which will be the main source of like on a subject. Fill light, which will be used to brighten up any shadows cased by the Key light. Lastly, the Back light will be used to highlight the background and separate it from the subject you're recording. Normally, the lights are different wattage, Key being the most, and Back light being the softest. I'd just adjust the distance of the lights accordingly till the shot is how you like!

Well, I hope this helped, and I'll be making more threads like this in the future, thanks for reading and have fun!
This is great advice! Thanks for posting. :)

Ashish

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
When it comes to filmmaking itself, the crater is only as good as the tools he is given. So, why not think smart and use this tips to save some cash back for the more expensive tools down the road?

For this particular thread I'll be discussing lighting, and how so important it is when filming. Lighting is a key element in making almost even the worst cameras look at best, decent. Much like the human eye, the camera see's "better" when there is more light. As a filmmaker, it's up to you to not only provide the light needed (except when outside, sometimes), though also judge how intense it should or should not be.

I did learn something
so thanks

Reactions: Reina

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Awesome post my friend.. I enjoyed the read.

LyfeWithDragons

Mother of Dragons...Wait...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Moved this here for you for easy finding :)

KBsVlog

A Family Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah I wasnt able to find it before. Thanks for the link Michael.

Reactions: Michael

Itskamren

JEANYUSS
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
yeah no doubt man i have a sony bloggie and if youve ever filmed with it. the camera looks AWFUL indoors but nearly canon quality outside in daylight its crazy.but for my indoor videos the sun has to be shining very bright to even look decent and still then i have to do a good amount of color correction in editing.

KBsVlog

A Family Vlogger
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
yeah no doubt man i have a sony bloggie and if youve ever filmed with it. the camera looks AWFUL indoors but nearly canon quality outside in daylight its crazy.but for my indoor videos the sun has to be shining very bright to even look decent and still then i have to do a good amount of color correction in editing.
Yes yes yes I know what you mean. I have the bloggie touch, it is kind of crappy in low light. The screen is awful as well when viewing videos. Ive also noticed that if filmed outside, it doesnt catch the true colors but adding a little color correction in editing takes care of that.