The editing process

Reaction score
When you edit do you like to do it all in one sitting even if it takes forever? Sometimes you just get that flow when editing and it makes things so easier. You get all these great ideas in the process and you just can't stop. What is your editing process?

Reactions: daniel burgio

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I poop it out in one go for my gaming vids. Like you said, I get into a flow and stopping it might result in a weird/worse video due to some slight style change based on however I'm feeling later on. I think it's better to do it all at once.

jordanleech

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I try get through it all in one go, I usually set myself a task of editing and colour grading in roughly 2 hours, if its longer ill take a break and come back to again! But I agree, you get in a flow which makes everything a lot easier!

Reactions: daniel burgio

TwoWords

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If it's an animation then it doesn't take too long for me. I found that over time I can pretty much automate parts of the process by creating templates for intro / outtro in AE, In Premiere I can drop new shots into a duplicate of the previous sequence which has all the desired effects.

For video (usually travel vlogs), this can run over multiple evenings as I like to get it all just right. There was one sequence within an edit that took me about 4 days to finish - but I did have to change the music and then resync. Getting everything in sync and then adding effects, then getting opinions and tweaking can take time, but these aren't usually small bursts. Editing takes a long time.

I'm assuming the longer videos on youtube take less time to edit? I could be completely wrong. I see many gaming vids that never cut, so apart from an intro/outtro, it's mostly just deciding where to begin and end? That whole vid in itself would probably still take a long time to make though, but could be done in one (long) session.

blacktigerpride

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its not really a process, I mass edit (edit multiple videos at once) and it usually takes.... an hour or two i think

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I edit, it's generally over the span of a couple days. I'll usually set aside a few hours a day to edit.
I'm editing music videos though so it's slightly different than a normal edit

Reactions: LiamK4

ItsMeRay

Hey there, Ray here!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well my videos don't really require that much editing, however I still think that editing in one sitting is better than doing it over multiple sittings. Like you said, once you start editing you just get into the flow of editing and it becomes a bit easier and as you edit, new ideas can pop into your head that you can incorporate within the video.

B3NB4IL

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Reviewer
Editing in one sitting is a dream when possible, I love it.

Usually these days, I seem to smash out the offline edit first, getting the cuts and structure sorted. Then a short break, then colour correction and fine tuning the cuts, then I move onto the audio filters, music, and anything else Online editing wise.

Also coffee. Always coffee.

*Looks at desk*

I don't have a coffee. I must get a coffee.

DanAwesomeStuff

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Sometimes I find it helps to take a break however long that may be to refocus and sometimes I come back with even better ideas for story arcs, and cool edits!

Mikes

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
If the video's short enough, I can do it in one sitting, but if it's a big one, then doing it all at once isn't a typical thing. I've edited some longer videos in one sitting, but they tend to take longer than a day, depending on what's in them. Basically, I just keep working until I feel like I've done enough.