The current state of YouTube?

Will Latimer

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is mainly a post just to see what peoples opinions are on the current state of YouTube. I find that YouTube at the moment is definitely not what it used to be. I understand that they need to make things more kid and advertiser friendly, but I feel like that has put a lot of YouTubers in a bit of a tricky situation as they have to adapt their content quite a lot to fit with the guidelines and basically ending up with lower quality content than what they once made. Is this their fault or YouTubes fault? or is no one to blame?

ttxela

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Everything constantly evolves i guess, I remember back at the start YT was mainly just a place to host videos so you could post them elsewhere.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The bottom line is that people have to earn a living in order to eat. If ad revenue or earnings do not support higher quality content, people will stop making it.

We'll,that's not necessarily true. YouTube ALWAYS gets their cut. New creators will keep appearing on the platform and try to 'make it'. It doesn't matter If they burn out or run out of money to create good content because for the forseeable future, fresh meat will still appear and try to 'make it'.

Edit, one more note. Just like the music industry and entertainment (TV, movies), there are so many people trying to 'make it' But the vast majority have to have another job or revenue source in order to survive.

Last edited:

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
What started as a fun platform to share funny/interesting/thoughtful videos with friends evolved into a way to earn a living and is now entering the legislation phase of it's existence. it'll get more restrictive before it gets better. But my attitude is that I make videos for fun. if I ever join the partner programme it'll purely be for a point of contact within youtube over any kind of monetization (I have no need for it and if I ever did there are better ways to make money for my kind of work) censorships going to get worse. But more critically; individuals starting out today will struggle immensly without management or a hell of a good idea to get to ultra high levels of followers. it's probably never been harder to make it big on the platform and it's only going to get worse the longer it goes on.

...But other than that it's great!

GearGasms

Reaction score
What started as a fun platform to share funny/interesting/thoughtful videos with friends evolved into a way to earn a living and is now entering the legislation phase of it's existence. it'll get more restrictive before it gets better. But my attitude is that I make videos for fun. if I ever join the partner programme it'll purely be for a point of contact within youtube over any kind of monetization (I have no need for it and if I ever did there are better ways to make money for my kind of work) censorships going to get worse. But more critically; individuals starting out today will struggle immensly without management or a hell of a good idea to get to ultra high levels of followers. it's probably never been harder to make it big on the platform and it's only going to get worse the longer it goes on.

...But other than that it's great!
I agree. I'm in the same boat in that I luckily don't need the money, but no matter what your niche is, there is so much competition already established and new people entering the field every day.