The best time to start making VLOGs

Game & Sound

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm still fairly new here but I'm already in need of some advice by you fellow Youtubers.

My YT Channel is based around Video Game Music Covers. I've been making them since last year, and I can say I'm fairly satisfied with my work so far as I've almost got3,300 subscribers as of now. I want to establish that in this year I've only made VGM Covers, that's the only type of video I've made so far.

Lately, thinking about my channel, I've noticed that I'd like to build a better "relationship" with my viewers. Having a music channel it's kind of "difficult" to have a dialogue with my viewers because the nature of my videos, while for example Let's Players can create some sort of connection with its viewers more easily just because they're very likely to talk during their videos.

Now, I was thinking I could start making some VLOGs every once in a while; I'd tell my viewers to ask me some questions or tell me what they'd like to hear me talk about, so they'd be invested and could actively contribute to my VLOGs. I'd also use those videos to make announcements or talk about things that struck my interest in that particular moment. Of course these videos wouldn't affect the output of my main videos, as I'd still keep my steady schedule of covers.

The problem is I'm still in doubt about doing this or not, because I'm not sure if this is the right moment to start making VLOGs. I don't know if my subscriber base is still too limited and I'm afraid just a little portion of it would partecipate.

What do you think? Any advice? Thanks for reading this.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think making vlogs every once in a while is a great idea! Regardless of what I follow someone for, it's always nice to get a little insight into their personality here and there.

Reactions: Game & Sound

Game & Sound

Reaction score
I think making vlogs every once in a while is a great idea! Regardless of what I follow someone for, it's always nice to get a little insight into their personality here and there.
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm talking about. My aim with these videos would mainly be getting my subscribers to know me better, and build a connection. I'm just really in doubt about how interested in these videos my subs would be, and if they'd like them.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My aim with these videos would mainly be getting my subscribers to know me better, and build a connection. I'm just really in doubt about how interested in these videos my subs would be, and if they'd like them.
That's understandable. I think it's likely that a couple of fans might not be keen on them as they aren't music videos, but it's not their channel. It's yours. If you know you'd enjoy making vlogs alongside music (which is awesome, by the way, I've subscribed) then go on that and your genuine fans will start to love them too.

A good example of this is JackSepticEye. He's a gamer first and foremost but he also sits down regularly and talk to his viewers, whether that's via challenges, reading their comments or just talking about his life. And I grew to love him so much more when I saw how humble and genuine he was, outside of screaming at games. I think getting to know him better through these videos really cemented his place as one of my favourite YouTubers.

I do think that they'll work in your favour, although it might take some time. Don't be disheartened, though!

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Of course these videos wouldn't affect the output of my main videos, as I'd still keep my steady schedule of covers.
Firstly, way to go on the 3.3k subs!

Secondly, i think the part I've quoted here kinda captures the key thing -- as long as you communicate that these videos are in addition (not replacement) to your covers, I don't see why that would be a problem. I think that there.

I know that I definitely appreciate hearing about various cover artists' lives through twitter and non-cover youtube postings, so I definitely think it should be a thing more people do.

Uncivilized Elk

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Doesn't hurt to try. Don't commit to a long-term thing, just make a few vlogs here and there to test the waters and see if it's working out or not. You can always put it on pause anytime, particularly if it's not even your main focus (the music is, right?).

You might want to do these vlogs on a separate channel though, and just alert your viewers to the new channel with a teaser video or something. There's definitely people out there who probably just want to sub for the music and nothing else.

Game & Sound

Reaction score
That's understandable. I think it's likely that a couple of fans might not be keen on them as they aren't music videos, but it's not their channel. It's yours. If you know you'd enjoy making vlogs alongside music (which is awesome, by the way, I've subscribed) then go on that and your genuine fans will start to love them too.

I do think that they'll work in your favour, although it might take some time. Don't be disheartened, though!
Thanks for subscribing, glad you enjoy my music! Anyway yeah, I think I'll try making some VLOGs every once in a while and see how it goes, I guess I can never know for sure if it's worth doing it without my viewers' feedback.

Firstly, way to go on the 3.3k subs!

Secondly, i think the part I've quoted here kinda captures the key thing -- as long as you communicate that these videos are in addition (not replacement) to your covers, I don't see why that would be a problem. I think that there.

I know that I definitely appreciate hearing about various cover artists' lives through twitter and non-cover youtube postings, so I definitely think it should be a thing more people do.
Thanks! I was already gonna make sure to be clear about communicating these VLOGs wouldn't replace my main videos, so I don't think it should be a problem either, at least in that sense, even if I don't know how my viewers would react.

Doesn't hurt to try. Don't commit to a long-term thing, just make a few vlogs here and there to test the waters and see if it's working out or not. You can always put it on pause anytime, particularly if it's not even your main focus (the music is, right?).

You might want to do these vlogs on a separate channel though, and just alert your viewers to the new channel with a teaser video or something. There's definitely people out there who probably just want to sub for the music and nothing else.
Of course the main focus of my channel is music, so yeah, I don't plan on slowing my music output down to make VLOGs. These videos would serve as a way to make announcements and to get my viewers to know me better, and I don't plan on making them too frequently or on a strict schedule.

After spending more than a year making music while getting followed by 3k people, it feels kinda weird to be just "a human jukebox" to them, you know what I mean? That's the main reason the VLOG idea came to my mind.

As for the secondary channel, I honestly didn't even think about it, but I don't know. I guess that added another doubt to be solved in my book!