The benefit of likes?

Dixieee_

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
One thing just popped into my mind; Does getting likes do anything? Or is it just a number to see how many who likes the video? Like, you don’t have any benefits of it?

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Idk to be honest, because people say the same ish about dislikes lol

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, i would say likes are giving value to your video. For example when im searching for tutorial on fixing error on sony vegas and i open 6 tabs of videos, im only staying on thoose which has great likes number and small dislikes number.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think it does do something. It tells youtube algorithm that people are interacting with your video .. up or down votes both just as good many think. It also gives you feedback albeit kinda limited as to weather people like what you made.. kinda.. They might click up or down because they like the topics, or my case product reviewed.. not necessarily because they thought the video was good.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
yes it does. algorithm works by a few factors such as engagement, and viewer retention.

the more likes, comments the more you rank higher and pop up on other youtubers page due to engagement. however, viewer retention is the main thing. if you can retain 60% of your audience retention, algorithm will tell YT this is a good video, lets rank it higher.

im not a big youtuber or anything, but done a bunch of search when I was a gaming channel. Now i dont care too much about it, just doing it for fun. However, on my other YT channel, one of my other videos have over 100k+ views and its ranked extremely high because almost everyone watches the entire video

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Even though likes aren't as important indicator as Watch Time and CTR. They are still helpful to understand what your audience likes to watch or the type of video you should make. You will notice the more views usually equal more likes in a video. Number of likes you should get depends from channel to channel but for example with mine, I usually get 10% likes of the amount of views. Dislikes are also helpful to understand if your audience didn't like that type of content. For example, if one of my videos gets 10 dislikes it means it's a bad video since my dislikes are always between 2-6. People liking/disliking are usually regular viewers. A constant amount of likes can also help you understand how big is your fanbase imo

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Liked videos are also added I
To a playlist automatically and it means someone can go back and watch later and maybe allows more videos to come in their view

FawX

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As @wchap001 mentioned, they do count towards YouTubes algorithm in determining what content is receiving active interaction and pushing that forward in the "spotlight" queue. So make sure you get your subscribers to hit Like on your videos, yes it sounds corny when your actually saying it but believe it will help you out more than you think.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah, I feel it kinda helps make the channel and video look good, just like subs and views. Like if you're looking for something, you'd most likely watch the video with the most views, likes and whose channel has a lot of subs.