The awful auto-copyright system

danielmus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Let me take a moment to express how rustled my jimmies are..

SO! To begin, I love the game Lucius, my viewers recently voted for it to be my newest series, which i was very happy about! I made it to episode 3, then the annoyance began.

Firstly, i must show you this, this is on the main page of Lucius' website, IN BOLD.

As you can see the developers completely allow Monetization and Let's Plays, so episode 4 comes out, easy-peasy, no problems, until a few days later I get an email, an email i haven't had for many months.

"[Copyright claim] Cannot monetize video: "Lucius [4] Rat Poison!""

This worried me, I always get nervous when it comes to copyright, i'm terrified of losing my channel. And youtubes automatic system just piles down on those fears. Basically the copyrighted part of the video was a cutscene at the end, which i always leave in when editing because y'know, cutscenes are an important part of a games story!

I decided to email the developers and ask if this was a legit claim, they replied (Very quickly i must say!) And they stated:

"Hello Daniel.
We really do not have any claims going on about those copyrights.
You indeed have full permission to monetize on it and I do not see anyone else having any claims to it."

So as you can see: Youtube done goofed. Again.

I decided to dispute the claim, and thankfully they released the claim! Which i am very happy about, usually I'd just remove the video, but in this case it's part of a series.

Today (About half an hour ago) I finally uploaded episode five! It is scheduled to upload at lunchtime tomorrow, but I gaze in horror at my screen as i click 'Save Changes'...

"You do not have permission to modify this claim." Now, this is what annoys me, Youtube's automatic copyright claim system of the underworld doesn't have good memory, how could it forget the lovely chat I had with it the other day? How could it forget about me? D:

It's going to be very frustrating to have to dispute a claim every time I upload an episode, especially because i'm perfectly entitled to upload what I am. Youtube needs to get this system sorted out, i'm sure plenty of you are having the same situation with other videos, or maybe it's just me, anywho I think I've finished my rant, apologies for that!

Sorry if I wasted your guys' time! I just get annoyed at youtube sometimes ._.

For those who don't want to bother reading the whole thing:
TL;DR: YouTubes' copyright system is bad, and it should feel bad!

P.S. This post was solely my opinion, sorry if anyone takes any offense by this xD

EDIT: Second copyright got removed :D Still have yet to record the next episode but hopefully it doesn't happen on that too :/

Last edited:

~ZERO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
meh! I had my youtube account banned for this!

ShaunM

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
At the end of the day they are doing the best they can with what they have to protect viewers, produces and companies who hold the rights. At least your able to email them and have it sorted out quickly. The massive number of people uploading footage to games that they have no writes to are just making upYouTube tighten the rope to protect itself.

Zerodecoole

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
caesar.wtf
Channel Type
Other
I had a track from Audiomicro and it was claimed by a different music website so I contacted both YouTube and AdRev about Audiomicro (who gave the strike) and it got removed.

danielmus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
At the end of the day they are doing the best they can with what they have to protect viewers, produces and companies who hold the rights. At least your able to email them and have it sorted out quickly. The massive number of people uploading footage to games that they have no writes to are just making upYouTube tighten the rope to protect itself.
A very fair point, but they need to try and improve it too, like start a database that says what can be used and what can't, that way false claims would be less common? Iunno, I just find their systems can be tedious sometimes :/

ShaunM

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yea, unfortunate I can't see it happening as different countries have different rules. I have heard about some videos having monetisation removed on videos in some countries while it has been enabled and working fine in others.