The 10 Walls of Fame

Sibernethy

Questin' for a Jestin'
Reaction score
Website
www.sibernethy.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I recently examined my channel and was wondering what sort of video to upload after about 3-4 weeks of inactivity. I have 600 subscribers, a decent viewership, plenty of support in the comments and a bunch of likes per video. I seem to be doing well for myself. Why have I been so hesitant to post anything lately?

Well, I did some soul searching and found a clue as to why in spite of all the things I have going for my channel, I'm somehow feeling held back. What I found may surprise you. After a few minutes, I began fleshing it out in some sort of a checklist which I call The 10 Walls of Fame.

The 10 Walls of Fame are a series of barriers which either keep us from the fame we seek or protect us from it, depending on our outlook on fame and a bunch of other factors. We all have these 10 walls, but we each possess all 10 keys from the start.

These 10 walls are:

1: Your reason for beginning.

Your overall reason for pursuing something that could bring you fame is the first thing you should check to see if you really want it. The naive will quickly say yes without carefully examining what happens to people who are famous and deciding if they are willing to live with it for the rest of their lives.

2: Your temperament.

Your attitude had better be good if you're famous or even on the way to being famous because if not, you will become the object of much derision and scorn. A person who is famous but negative is probably going to attract all kinds of unwanted attention, commentary, and press on his/her defects. Even when you have the most saintly reputation, there's always someone gossiping about you to their friends.

3: Your first time.

The journey to fame is long and arduous, unless you're Sweet Brown. If you're finding it easy to get all the lucky breaks in life, everything's going rosy and everyone likes you, watch out because that's when you're most vulnerable. Life has a tendency to throw bricks at your window of opportunity, especially as you're climbing through it. Life is meant to be a challenge and anyone who hasn't faced real difficulty is destined to somewhere, somehow, sometime. The people who seem to have it easy later in life had it rough early on but made it through. The people who have it easy early in life had better prepare for one of those bricks because in the eyes of nature and this strange thing called life, they're due for a few knocks.

4: Your stamina.

Speaking of knocks, there will be times when the going is tough, and you don't feel like you're making much headway. That's actually a good thing, as it gives you time and the opportunity to strengthen your overall self. It develops persistence and patience if what you're after is really what you want. Tryhards and the impatient will have a difficult time getting through this wall called Stamina.

5: Your true measure of grit.

At times, you'll be faced with what appear to be no clear steps to take next and you're at a stalemate. Or you're faced with a critical decision that forces you to stop and think. Sometimes the best thing to do is fight on the face of discouragement and then again perhaps this is a sign that you're either heading in the wrong direction or life has greater plans for you that may require you to abandon your current endeavors.

6: Your capacity to handle adversity.

If you've made it this far, you're probably already growing some sort of community, fanbase or online presence. At this point, you are beginning to open yourself up to the opinions of other people. Not all of them will be good, some of them very scathing. The higher you rise, the more you can expect to be talked about. If you find yourself insecure about other peoples' opinions or if your feelings are often hurt by the gossip and rumors that people can and will make up about you, you're likely to lose your mind at some point when you really start to become known.

7: Your fans.

Consider your fans for a moment. The people who have supported you from the beginning. The OGs. The first 1000 subscribers to your Youtube channel perhaps if you're at 100k. If they're detecting a change in your personality or you're beginning to turn them away from you, it could be due to a number of things. The fame you enjoy now might be getting to your head, you might be succumbing to social pressure from various types of people. You might even risk losing your sense of identity to the push and pull of public opinions and what they want from you. Don't lose your authenticity as a person. Stay true to yourself and if you have any questions about what's happening to you, a good place to ask would be your most trusted supporters. People who have known you for a long time.

8: Your friends.

A good way to tell if you're heading in the right direction or not is the condition of your friendships. Some people get so wrapped up in being famous that they either neglect their friends, or worse, treat them like nobodies. Make sure that whatever position you rise to in life, it's not going to cause unnecessary damage to your friendships. Some people may get jealous of you but if they do then they're not really good friends. But if people you know and respect are warning you against something in numbers, you could be jeopardizing your friendships.

9: Your family.

Your family will be directly affected by what sort of public image you have. Especially if you're in a controversial field, such as politics. Protect your family from having to deal with random strangers on Facebook, Youtube, and in real life. People can get nasty out there and your family isn't likely to handle that as well as you should. Also, you want your family that should be proud of you for what you've accomplished to be proud instead of ashamed, frightened, or upset. Consider your family and whether or not the fame you're so close to achieving will be a burden to them or not.

10: Your conscience.

Finally, your conscience. It is the last thing stopping you from immortalizing yourself for better or for worse. As Glenn Beck once said during an interview: "If you find yourself wanting fame for its own sake, stop whatever you're doing and get out of it now." Fame is not something that goes away after you've got it, nor is it for the faint of heart. Are you absolutely certain that the chatter of the masses is something you're okay with because not all of it will be good? Is it worth putting your family, your friends, and your reputation on the line?

Whatever the answer to these questions are, make sure that whatever you're doing now is your true calling in life before you move past the 10th wall. The effects of doing so are most likely permanent and won't change no matter what else you do in life. Sorry is the man who made a fool of himself before the world.

Are these 10 walls blocking you from fame? Or are they protecting you from it?

Yoursharkfriend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I really like this, this is very mind-opening and deep. This is what a lot of people who jump into things, not necessarily YouTube, expecting fame and fortune right away. It's not that simple.

Reactions: Sibernethy

ZakDTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
well written and thought out. This is truly a list that new YouTubers should read and then reflect upon. I am very new and I think I will be removing family tags from my fb before I grow anymore just to be safe

Reactions: Sibernethy