That Viral feeling?

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have yet to experience a video going viral. I'm happy to wake up and have gotten 100 views overnight. Anyone have a story to share about a video or their channel exploding and what it was like? I'd love to hear about it.

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I put a video of my dogs playing in the snow on my personal channel which was only used to share the occasional video with family and friends. About 10 months later I started getting emails because of comments on the video and emails from people wanting to license it. It got about 50,000 views in a couple of days. That was nearly three years ago and now it has about 120,000 views.

I've been actively trying to recreate that kind of success for over a year and I haven't come close. It really is a nothing video. Here it is:

Reactions: xingcat and AM2PM

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That is interesting. Did you get a big bump in subscribers? Did you make much money from that video? Thanks for responding. Good luck recreating that feeling!

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That is interesting. Did you get a big bump in subscribers? Did you make much money from that video? Thanks for responding
I got about 30 subs. I thought the whole thing was weird because I wasn't into YouTube and I knew nothing about subscribers and had no interest in making regular content. I didn't have Adsense and I only enabled montetization a year after it went viral when I licensed the video. I've made a couple hundred dollars from the video being licensed.

Reactions: AM2PM

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So someone contacted you to license the video for use on other platforms?

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
So someone contacted you to license the video for use on other platforms?
Yes. I don't know much about it and even if I did I have to keep it confidential. I have licensed a few of the videos from the animal shelter's channel with a couple different companies. I really do need to do more of that because that's where the shelter can make money - not from views on YouTube at least so far because nothing has taken off yet.

Reactions: AM2PM

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Not the biggest numbers, but someone posted a video of mine somewhere, which was the tweeted out by someone and went around a few times, and then was written as an article for a website which I didn't know about. I woke up and had a bunch of tweets over 1000 views and 50 new subs and was fun. Other videos did better but this was unexpected

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Nice! That is still awesome when someone finds your work without any effort from you. Good luck with getting that feeling more often!

Reactions: Gaijillionaire

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Nice! That is still awesome when someone finds your work without any effort from you. Good luck with getting that feeling more often!
One thing to think about is there's lots of sites out there looking for (free) content, particularly the kind they can't make themselves and would use that to grow their platform and yourself so if a video is compelling enough that starts to happen. Your channel premise could lead to that on certain sites, depending on how you want to go. So it's a good tactic

AM2PM

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
One thing to think about is there's lots of sites out there looking for (free) content, particularly the kind they can't make themselves and would use that to grow their platform and yourself so if a video is compelling enough that starts to happen. Your channel premise could lead to that on certain sites, depending on how you want to go. So it's a good tactic
Do you mean my channel premise specifically? Twin Versus Twin. Or generally? I just want to know if I need to thank you for the kind complement. Thanks!