Text or No Text in Thumbnails?

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What do you prefer and what do you think is best? I've heard people say that it depends and OF COURSE, but I am thinking about CinemaSins and how they have text in every one of their videos basically. Do you think they would do better if they dropped all that text?

Reactions: Frisky Brisket

JuriKaGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My preference is using text. When browsing YT, I even read the text on the thumbnail before even looking at the title. It just catches my eye quicker I suppose.
It's gotta be done good though. Not over the top, not "screaming" too much, just neat and informative.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Personally, whenever I make thumbnails, I try to avoid using text just because I can't manage to pull it off right. I don't have the best graphics software, so whenever I put text it doesn't really look natural with the background. But I like seeing thumbnails with text more, because it kinda gives more context behind what you're gonna see. 'It depends' is really the most accurate answer. xD

Jed

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me I think that that less is usually more when it comes to text in thumbnails because to me that looks tidier and more appealing. So if you can efficiently convey the message of the video in a thumbnail without any words for me that's the dream, after all a picture is worth a thousand words. But I also think that to have a thumbnail without words when you need words in the thumbnail to convey what your video is about to prospective viewers is stupid. Some thumbnails need words, some don't. It really comes down to the video and the creator which is why you can't really make one rule that will encompass all thumbnails

Frisky Brisket

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've done a both text and no text thumbnails. I started to not like including text because I just had a basic font package installed with my operating system. The text just appeared sad, and it made me feel sadness to look at it.....

.....but check this out I've been adding new, fun, and exciting fonts that I've been messin' around with in my photo editing software (GIMP) to make my thumbnails lit! I'm 'bout to get excited to start sliding some text up in my thumbnails again. We'll see how it turns out!

Later my dudes! :).

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm kind of obsessed with YouTube, so recently I did a study/in-depth analysis of the top 15 fastest growing channels for the past month. I found that every single on of those top-growing channels used no text. I think there is some kind of pattern here. For the past month, I've been adding no text to my thumbnails, and I personally think they look a lot better. However, none of those "no text" videos have done exceptionally well. All of my most-viewed videos have text thumbnails. But overall, I'd say have no text. My recommendation is to outline yourself/the subject in white, then tint the background a different color, maybe add some glow effects, and then maybe an emoji or arrow here and there.

GBeeTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I put text in it most of the time just because most people look at the thumbnail first

Danica Christin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's true that a lot of people look at the text in the thumbnail first. I usually do it, but not always.