Teenager gets 20 million followers from lip-synching songs!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

So I've just read about this 16 year-old girl called "Baby Ariel" who has made a career for herself by lip-synching 15 second songs on the video site https://musical.ly !!

She doesn't really dance and her voice can't be heard, and much of the videos are just her moving her lips, making facial expressions, gesticulating with her hands, and moving the camera around. ^^

She also has 2 million subs and over 100 million views on her YouTube channel on which she makes "tutorials" and vlog type videos.

She also has 7 million followers on Instagram

She also has a website: https://www.babyariel.com/

A talent agency has now signed her and she has also created an emoji app that is generating $$ for her. At 16 years old, she is said to be already worth $700k .....

On her website, she explains how she got started:
"A couple of months ago, just when school was ending and summer was starting, our house had a big flood and we had to move out. I was bored and living out of a suitcase in a little room in my grandparents house. I went on my phone and found a fun app called Musical.ly. It was great - I made lip-syncing videos for fun and shared them with my friends. Not sure why, but other people liked my videos and shared them with their friends. And before I knew it, I had a few thousand, then a few hundred thousand, then a few million supporters on Musical.ly. "

What do you think of someone becoming famous practically overnight from lip-synching other people's songs ?! Does this story inspire you or not?!

Had you heard of https://musical.ly before this story? I hadn't heard of it before.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
There were a ton of musical.ly "stars" at VidCon this year. It seems a thing that....well, kids really like? I'm guessing that it'll have its heyday, just like Vine did, and the stars of it will get used to the money and attention, and I'd wager a guess that it'll fall apart once there's a realization that there isn't a sustainable plan to build and maintain a revenue stream for it.

I have no idea what the talent agent will do for someone whose talent is pretty much limited to lip syncing. I mean, there are shows about it and there are also venues where you can see people do it (drag bars, mostly), but...what's the application outside of YouTube? Maybe she'll branch out to something more, but I'm guessing it's going to be a very bright, very short star that hits the horizon for this kid.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I heard Jacob Sartorius was big on that as well, and he has went so far, that he has recorded an album! I don´t know why though!
Her looks maybe have something to do with this? I have no idea! I don´t even know if i want that fame that quickly!

Reactions: Crown

ilikepstrophies

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In the case of Baby Ariel musical.ly was just the catalyst to jump her career. When you're attractive, very outgoing, tons of likable personality you'll make it in this career, it's called entertainment after all. Much like the Viners that made it big there first and transitioned their followers to youtube and everywhere online. They got in early made it big and are likable personalities.

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
There were a ton of musical.ly "stars" at VidCon this year. It seems a thing that....well, kids really like? I'm guessing that it'll have its heyday, just like Vine did, and the stars of it will get used to the money and attention, and I'd wager a guess that it'll fall apart once there's a realization that there isn't a sustainable plan to build and maintain a revenue stream for it.

I have no idea what the talent agent will do for someone whose talent is pretty much limited to lip syncing. I mean, there are shows about it and there are also venues where you can see people do it (drag bars, mostly), but...what's the application outside of YouTube? Maybe she'll branch out to something more, but I'm guessing it's going to be a very bright, very short star that hits the horizon for this kid.
totally like all the viners who are pretty much normal people now. sure a couple of them like king bach and that french guy have hit it in some tv shows, but it is nothing sustainable. It's hard not to feel jealous because I see tons of these channels that either get lucky, are good at marketing, or make a good brand, but lack any proprietary value. It's not even when I compare to my channel, but because I see so much talent and content on youtube that is way more worthy to be known than a lip-syncing girl. I've seen tons of youtubers on this forum that deserve it more.

Crixifa

Crixifa
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It inspires me but at the same time I'm like 'why couldn't I think of that?'
:(

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
It inspires me but at the same time I'm like 'why couldn't I think of that?'
:(
nothing to be inspired by. It isn't proprietary and is just a fad. It's mainly sheer luck. It happens.

Crixifa

Crixifa
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
nothing to be inspired by. It isn't proprietary and is just a fad. It's mainly sheer luck. It happens.
I'm pretty sure in the future we will have more apps that are going to go viral so we have to keep a lookout lol.

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure in the future we will have more apps that are going to go viral so we have to keep a lookout lol.
yes but you need to find something that is sustainable. or else your audience will stick around just as long as the app.