Tags

iGraemeS

Reaction score
Hey !

I know this question may annoy some of you but I cant find the answer to this.

1. are tags more important in the description , or the tags section

2. when tagging is it best to tag a phrase or separate words ie

how,to,make,money OR 'how to make money'

I am just curious as I feel I am tagging my videos wrong , sorry if this has already been asnwered!

JostenVlogs

I Vlog Everday On Youtube
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
The main thing to do is experiment plain and simple

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would stick to what theyre intended for, keep the tags in the tags box and not in the description. What I recommend doing though is writing those tags into the description where you can here is an example. Obviously make sure it sounds written for a person and not YouTubes search engine :D

Title: How to Wash a Car

Desc: In this video I show you how to wash a car in the fastest way possible. You will learn about the awesome car cleaning tips I have learned over the years to keep your car shiny and clean.

Tags: "how to wash a car" "washing a car" "fastest way to wash a car" "car cleaning tips" "shiny car" Mitsubishi filter music

Theres an example of what I think is best, them last few tags though are shoved in for example purposes :) Make sure to use double quotes and not single quotes on multiple words, I have never tested single quotes but I know for certain double quotes work for grouping two or more words so theyre not linking separately as tags.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: BusterSenshi

BusterSenshi

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
1) Tags should only be in the tag section.

2) When adding tags do both phrase and separate words but remove words you will not rank on. So
"How to make Money Fast" Make, Money, Fast​

Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
1) Tags should only be in the tag section.

2) When adding tags do both phrase and separate words but remove words you will not rank on. So
"How to make Money Fast" Make, Money, Fast​
I have never tried that myself, it would feel like I was repeating them too much if I was tagging it with quite a few :D

BusterSenshi

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have never tried that myself, it would feel like I was repeating them too much if I was tagging it with quite a few :D
I totally understand that, however you need to have your bases covered for when someone searches a title of a video you have told them, or when they want an exact phrase.

So odds are you will be ranking higher with "How to make Money Fast"
Then you will with: Make​
Then you will with: Money​
Then you will with: Fast​

Edit:

See how YouTube searches look:

"How to make Money Fast"
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+to+make+money+fast&oq=How+to+make+money+fast&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.2264.6535.0.6922.24.19.1.4.5.0.132.1738.15j4.19.0...0.0...1ac.1.7dQY4WToysg

Make
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Make&oq=Make&gs_l=youtube.3..35i39j0l9.874.1233.0.1788.4.4.0.0.0.0.209.473.2j1j1.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.jqMN1XLzjNY

Money
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Money&oq=Money&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.1111.1642.0.2247.5.5.0.0.0.0.216.651.0j4j1.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.qvEK1_Bz5qU

Fast
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Fast&oq=Fast&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.1311.1814.0.2441.4.4.0.0.0.0.117.397.2j2.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.6T3lQgAU5YE

Even though the first search has all the three keywords "Make, Money, Fast", you do not see ANY of the videos in the searches for "Make, Money, Fast"

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I totally understand that, however you need to have your bases covered for when someone searches a title of a video you have told them, or when they want an exact phrase.

So your odds are you will be ranking higher with "How to make Money Fast"
Then you will with: Make​
Then you will with: Money​
Then you will with: Fast​
Oh right I get it a bit more now, just keeping the decent ones separate and excluding stuff like how, to, and, this etc

BusterSenshi

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh right I get it a bit more now, just keeping the decent ones separate and excluding stuff like how, to, and, this etc
I edited my post to better explain it:

So the odds of even having the other words " how, to, and, this etc" are slim to nothing :p

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think thats what I dont understand, if they wont rank for them with those terms being so competitive with loads more results, isnt it best to leave them out unless theyre necessary? Maybe it is just this example :D

Ross

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think I'm going to have a look through my older videos and check if I've got any 'unranking' tags in there. Thanks