Tags and SEO help?

DewyOtter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi, thanks for taking time out of your day to read this.

So...tags and SEO. I like to THINK I understand how they work, and that i'm using and implementing strategies correctly. But when I look at my channel statistics, everything from average views to retention time, it strikes me that I may not actually have a clue.

I also like to think I have the pieces to a decent YouTube channel. A good brand, well edited content, and interaction with my community for days. I could be wrong, who knows? Other people tell me these things so I thank them for their kind words. They could be just being nice for the sake of it, but I don't want to call them liars. So at which point I feel the only thing that could seriously need improvement is the aforementioned tags and SEO.

So I guess my question is...how do you do your tagging and SEO? Or rather, how do you ensure that what you're doing in that regard is the correct method?

Cheers,

- Dewy

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You channel looks great in terms of branding and graphics quality. The videos seem good as well. It's not my area of specialty, but I would say the tags look fine. The description could use a meaty paragraph instead of a 1 liner.
To answer your qn directly - take the 3 top videos (by views) that your video is close to from other top channels, and copy/mix and match their t/t/d. That will ensure you are algorithmically linked into the same vertical. If you have space in the 500 tag characters, you can add some unique long tails. Write a nice meaty description that incorporates all the keywords and unique longtails from the 3 top videos mentioned above.
But...Seo won't do much per se, neither will all the other elements. You're in a hyper-saturated vertical. You need to make yourself stand-out from the hundreds of thousands of other channels competing for eyeballs for the same t/t/d.

Koroside

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You have over 100 subs, so why not get a custom URL?

DewyOtter

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You have over 100 subs, so why not get a custom URL?
i've got one, but setting I seem to have trouble setting it up on this site[DOUBLEPOST=1503979967,1503979707][/DOUBLEPOST]
You channel looks great in terms of branding and graphics quality. The videos seem good as well. It's not my area of specialty, but I would say the tags look fine. The description could use a meaty paragraph instead of a 1 liner.
To answer your qn directly - take the 3 top videos (by views) that your video is close to from other top channels, and copy/mix and match their t/t/d. That will ensure you are algorithmically linked into the same vertical. If you have space in the 500 tag characters, you can add some unique long tails. Write a nice meaty description that incorporates all the keywords and unique longtails from the 3 top videos mentioned above.
But...Seo won't do much per se, neither will all the other elements. You're in a hyper-saturated vertical. You need to make yourself stand-out from the hundreds of thousands of other channels competing for eyeballs for the same t/t/d.
I figured as much when I starting doing my type of content. I didn't want to believe it at first, but I guess luck plays a greater factor than I could really imagine. I've seen it grace people I know, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. Nonetheless, your advice is greatly appreciated, and i'll take those tips into account in future. Thank you.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I did try many methods and came to conclusion that in many cases you just need to get lucky with AI. Youtube is like roulette to me now where I am betting my time and money with tiny chance of good placemenets for my videos. Lost a lot lately

WoodenRailwayStudio

Youtube - for fun and profit!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi, thanks for taking time out of your day to read this.

So...tags and SEO. I like to THINK I understand how they work, and that i'm using and implementing strategies correctly. But when I look at my channel statistics, everything from average views to retention time, it strikes me that I may not actually have a clue.

I also like to think I have the pieces to a decent YouTube channel. A good brand, well edited content, and interaction with my community for days. I could be wrong, who knows? Other people tell me these things so I thank them for their kind words. They could be just being nice for the sake of it, but I don't want to call them liars. So at which point I feel the only thing that could seriously need improvement is the aforementioned tags and SEO.

So I guess my question is...how do you do your tagging and SEO? Or rather, how do you ensure that what you're doing in that regard is the correct method?

Cheers,

- Dewy
Be sure your title, tags, and video description tie into each other. If all of your videos have a common theme, be sure to use some of the same tags from video to video. If you notice that the suggested videos shown next to your playing video are yours, you are on the right track. Youtube's spider will quickly pick up on that and when viewers like your video, they will click on other videos you have produced. Youtube will also start to recommend your videos more often and honestly that is where many of your views will come from. Keep creating good videos and optimize each one. Over time, your videos will be suggested more and more and if you are lucky, your videos will be the next up on autoplay of a popular video. One of my son's channels was getting just a couple of thousand views a day and through optimization, Youtube was including his videos on some of the more established channels suggested video list and his views shot up to 8 to 10,000 views per day.

Reactions: Eiree'E