Tags - a few VERY specific or a ton of relevant

601Travels

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see videos with hardly any tags that have TONS of views and I always read that you should fill up your tags with relevant keywords in hopes of ranking better.

What do you do?

Do you do a few keywords or do you fill them all up?

I use a ton, as many as I can.. But I'm wondering if that is hurting instead of helping.. Im really trying to get more views and obviously subs as I slowly aim for 1k..

Let me know what you think!

Freyal

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I am not a keyword master by any means, but I was always under the impression you put as many as possible. I assume the videos with few keywords are probably from already popular content creators.

Just my guess!

Lord Osh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ranking has to alot to do with "Relevancy" which is what YouTube uses to categorize your videos. Basically it's a ratio of watch time per view. If people are watching 23 seconds out of a 10 minute video on your channel that's greatly hurts your video ranking.

The best way to tag videos I find, for example I'll use gaming. I type in the name of the game on YouTube for example "Red Dead Redemption 2" and what us suggested from YouTube like "Red Dead Redemption 2 Gameplay" "Red Dead Redemption 2 Review" is what I add in my tags along with my YouTube channel name. The name of my videos and sometimes I even add the name of a popular YouTuber in my section.

If you take a look at my channel you'll see that a few of my videos have quit a few differences in views. I believe tags and most importantly "Relevancy" play a big big part in the video being suggested.

What I find is, when the audience watches your video all the way through it tends to do a whole lot better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Ranking has to alot to do with "Relevancy" which is what YouTube uses to categorize your videos. Basically it's a ratio of watch time per view. If people are watching 23 seconds out of a 10 minute video on your channel that's greatly hurts your video ranking.

The best way to tag videos I find, for example I'll use gaming. I type in the name of the game on YouTube for example "Red Dead Redemption 2" and what us suggested from YouTube like "Red Dead Redemption 2 Gameplay" "Red Dead Redemption 2 Review" is what I add in my tags along with my YouTube channel name. The name of my videos and sometimes I even add the name of a popular YouTuber in my section.

If you take a look at my channel you'll see that a few of my videos have quit a few differences in views. I believe tags and most importantly "Relevancy" play a big big part in the video being suggested.

What I find is, when the audience watches your video all the way through it tends to do a whole lot better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
This one guy on here, Videoeditgr mention something that may answer your question

To sum up it was that uploading things on YT is like the lottery sometimes he probably hit a few lucky viewers and got a boom out of it.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This one guy on here, Videoeditgr
this guy do not tag at all his videos!

hehehe! :p

no promotion here, just for reference, query "Canon EF 70-200 IS II test footage" and a low (32) views video appear on first page results Why I mention it? it has zero tags...
(found out while talking gear in a friend's house and computer. He he was not even subscribed to me)

Perhaps tight targeted title and secondly description override tagging?
Perhaps 3 max hashtagging feature appeared after this flood of regular tags?
I really don't know, just assuming...
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 601Travels and Fost

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
lol you know whats funny is only other account it was a university email account that I used to log on youtube. I would upload ATV videos for fun never tag them. they were for myself no1 else.

just didnt care nor didnt even know there was money to be made on YT. was just for fun and its funny because I never added a description nor tags

maybe the title just said mudding on canam I generated about 10k views on that. i never even commented back lol. But im thinking this was way back in like 2008 or 2009. i think it was much easier to get discovered. thats why those people with huge sub base, it was when YT was still growing and going through its phase back in the days. Kind of like smosh and pewdiepie. they made videos when YT was first released bringing them where they are now

Reactions: 601Travels

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think the title and description hold the most weight as far as seo, I believe YouTube does reference the tags in the algorithm but I don't think the tags are key in anyway in getting a video to rank there are just other things in the algorithm that are a lot bigger part of the puzzle. I say use as many relevant related tags as possible. but don't stray too far away from what the actual content of the video is about.

Reactions: 601Travels