Switching from 30 to 60fps

Krympin

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited that I'm able to upgrade to 60fps aswell as bumping up my bitrate slightly. I'm glad to leave 30fps behind. What do you guys use ?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Since I got my GoPro Hero 4 silver in March 2016 I'm recording with 60fps. It's very cool for slow motions and it's really cool how fluent everything looks, even fast pannings or other faster movements look flawless. Absolutely worth it in my view.

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I shoot both 24fps and 60-72fps. The higher frame rates I only use for slow-no. But I always export at 24fps to get that cinematic look. :biggrin:

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It mainly depends on how well your camera pans. Action cams particularly can get choppy at lower frame rates, but 30 fps is quite OK for most other video.

I shoot at 60 fps with the action cam and 30 fps with the Nikon L820 bridge camera.

Once the video has been processed you can't see any difference on YT.

So the whole 30 v 60 fps is a bit of a beat up IMHO - if your camera shoots quality footage.

Cheers Rob

M82

Reaction score
Idk.. I guess it really depends on what you are filming and the look you are going after. Usually people who do that cinematic/drama type videos will shoot in 24fps. 60fps.. you get that real-life feel.

I still use 30fps for my daughters gaming videos. She just sits in a chair. Her gaming footage is also recorded at 30fps. The only reason I would start recording at 60fps is for the gaming clips.

TwoWords

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Being in the UK, I use 25fps. 50fps if I wanna go for that super-slick motion, or slomo. But I don't really like the look of 50fps/60fps.
Working in After Effects for animations I do get the choice to create something at any frame rate, but I prefer to stick to 25fps.

If I'm on DSLR, I'll usually shoot at 25 unless I think I could slomo it. Then I'll go to 50.
Problem for us is that all phones and GoPros are shooting at 30fps. So if I've got a combination in the same vid, I'll pick a frame rate that matches the most commonly appearing clip.

Then there's Variable Frame Rate from phones... (shudders) ...

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
...Problem for us is that all phones and GoPros are shooting at 30fps. ...

Then there's Variable Frame Rate from phones... (shudders) ...
I use the app FilmicPro on both iPhone and Android. It allows full control of the camera frame rates, so you can select 24, 25, 30, 50 or 60 frames per second. Plus it disables the variable bit rate and uses a static bit rate, eliminating most of the negatives of shooting with a phone.

I use a DSLR for my main "face" camera and use an iPhone running FilmicPro for my overhead cooking shots. Without FilmicPro, my audio and frames from the phone would never match the DSLR, and it is indeed a nightmare! Especially for longer videos.

Hope that helps someone. FilmicPro does cost around $10, but it's well worth it if you use a phone in your production. I'm not affiliated in any way, just passing along the info.