KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's about $20 to $100 for 100,000 views as a rough ballpark. So your $3 is in the range of $2 to $10 for 10,000 views.
it depends a lot on the vertical. Makeup, tech reviews and kids toys pay some of the highest CPMs.
Top 10 compilations and the like the lowest CPMs.
The recent adpocalypse as they call it has had an effect.
There are also cyclical effects, we're just out of the US summer peak, so revenues are down.
Also depends if your videos are ad friendly.
Ad of course the MCN takes a nice juicy cut, unless you're at 500k subs+ with decent traffic and can negotiate a 10/90 split, you're probably on a 40/60 split or something unprofitable like that.

Elpixion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
It's about $20 to $100 for 100,000 views as a rough ballpark. So your $3 is in the range of $2 to $10 for 10,000 views.
it depends a lot on the vertical. Makeup, tech reviews and kids toys pay some of the highest CPMs.
There are also cyclical effects, we're just out of the US summer peak, so revenues are down.
Ad of course the MCN takes a nice juicy cut, unless you're at 500k subs+ with decent traffic and can negotiate a 10/90 split, you're probably on a 40/60 split or something unprofitable like that.
if there was a scale (like 1 being tech reviews, makeup, toys etc.and 10 being top 10 compilations) where would vlogs sit? and what about short films?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
if there was a scale (like 1 being tech reviews, makeup, toys etc.and 10 being top 10 compilations) where would vlogs sit? and what about short films?
You gotta think of it in terms of advertising of products. Tech reviews would be one of the top earners because they review pricey items. Say you review RED cameras which are $20k-$100 a pop. If RED wants to advertise, and you are the leading channel, they will pay a premium to be on your channel.
So for Vlog, depends are there any products or destinations or events that are the focus? If you Vlog about theme parks like 6 Flags and Disney, I'm sure you could earn good $ from those sorts of advertisers. If you Vlog about your daily grind (or whatever), you have to ask, are advertisers interested in paying $0.10, $0.50, $1, or $5 CPM for your videos? I don't know...
Short films - are they genre or literary style? I would imagine genre to have more advertiser appeal as it reaches a wider audience. Then again a highly artistic/literary type film may reach a very engaged and targeted audience that may be worth serious $ to advertisers. Best is to experiment.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay, what happened? My earnings shot up over night 30%, with no change in my stats.[DOUBLEPOST=1503890425,1503854391][/DOUBLEPOST]
This makes sense except for one thing. My earnings have been stagnant since January l, even though my channel has double in traffic. But in the last three days my earning have rocketed up by 35%. Something has happened in the last week, but I don't know what. Do you have any idea?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay, what happened? My earnings shot up over night 30%, with no change in my stats.[DOUBLEPOST=1503890425,1503854391][/DOUBLEPOST]

This makes sense except for one thing. My earnings have been stagnant since January l, even though my channel has double in traffic. But in the last three days my earning have rocketed up by 35%. Something has happened in the last week, but I don't know what. Do you have any idea?
Look at your analytics - what do they show? Are you getting higher CPM? Are one type of ad showing more over another suddenly?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Look at your analytics - what do they show? Are you getting higher CPM? Are one type of ad showing more over another suddenly?
I am on the road using my phone and cannot see those stats. I have been on the road for a month now on vacation and have not done anything to my channel. All of the sudden my earnings start climbing by about 10% daily. I use the Youtube Studio app while on the road to monitor things, but it does not show the stats your are asking for.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay, so my revenue earnings has increased over 60% now. I am home now and looked at my CPM. Boy that really explains a lot. The story of the ADpocalypse really shows up if you look at the whole year by weekly totals of Ad Impressions. Here is the graph from my account.

The red line represent auction style Display Ads. The blue line represents skippable Video Ads. As you can see from the graph below, everything has remains pretty much stagnant from the begining of the year, but around April, 15th, there was a huge drop in the auction style Display Ads earnings. It stayed down until July, 15th and then started to rise and has continued to rise ever since. The about August, 15th you can see that the skippable Video Ads line start to rise a little. According to the graph, around the middle of April I was only getting about 1000 Video Display ads on my videos. Now I am getting close to 5000 of them. That would certainly explain a large rise in earnings. The question is, what happened to cause this?

Well, this might be the answer. I got this in an email from Youtube yesterday.

"

Creator Blog

Expanding the ability to appeal more videos
Monday, August 7, 2017
YouTube has always been a place for creators around the world to tell their stories, make connections and earn money. We care about users, creators and advertisers and have, for over a decade, strived to balance and align their interests. In the last few months we spent time addressing concerns from advertisers around where their ads are placed. With new controls and guidelines implemented, many creators have seen their earnings return to normal as advertisers resumed their campaigns. As a part of these recent changes, however, some videos were classified as not suitable for all advertisers, limiting the number of ads served on those videos. There was also no ability to directly appeal in Video Manager. Over the next few weeks, we plan to roll out new icons that will give you a more detailed understanding of how each and every video on your channel (or channels) is monetizing as well as the ability to appeal if you think a video is misclassified. We want our systems to get better and better—and every appeal helps:

Indicates videos that can earn money from the broadest set of advertisers and from YouTube Red. No change from today.

Indicates videos are still eligible to earn money in YouTube Red, but will have limited or no ads because the video has been classified as either not suitable for all advertisers, or has been fully demonetized because we believe it doesn’t meet our advertising guidelines.

Indicates videos that will receive no revenue from ads or YouTube Red. This might be because of a copyright strike, Content ID claim, or Community Guidelines strike.

You can always use our monetization troubleshooter to see what actions you can take on your video. The status of your appeal will now be in blue text below the monetization icon. If your appeal is successful, more ads may be served on your videos."

So what this means is that Youtube is finally satisfying advertiser worries about ad placement and they are starting to come back. I have looked at all 90 of my videos and all of them are marked with a
. This means that all of my videos are fully compatible with all advertisers. I think things will get a lot better now that we have at least some idea of knowing what advertisers want and do not want, and will be able to make adjustments to make our videos more advertiser friendly. I am glad to see this coming to an end.

Reactions: Game_Walkthroughs

Derrick Toys

Happy Kids Happy Life!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Our channel has been effected too since June and I can't figure out how to fix it. One video doing very well is no longer. Our channel has become hidden and it's a shame because I know our videos are great for families and kids. :/

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
After 7 months of complete stagnation since January, my earnings have skyrocketed over the past three weeks. In three weeks time my earnings have literally doubled with very little change in my views and viewed minutes. The change has been in ads displayed. Last month I was getting about 1000 ads a day. Now I am getting about 5000 ads a day. Two other factors that have gone up is Average Watched Time (25% increase) and Subscriptions (50% increase).

It seems to me that, not only are more ads being shown on my videos, but that also my videos are reaching a better audience that likes my content and will watch it longer and will subscribe. I wonder if all this Youtube tweaking that has gone on has improved the overall systems ability offer better suggested content to viewers?

Am I the only one seeing this abrupt change in the last few weeks?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think I have been affected the same way as well, these couple of months I have seen a increase in revenue. before I only got about 0.5 dollars per month, now I get about 0.75 to a dollar per month!
So there´s a difference in revenue! but then again, I have noticed that some of my videos are being demonetised!