Subscribers going up and down and up and down and down again and then up......And then down again!

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I have been around 3880 subscribers for what seems like ages now. The counter is going up and down and down and up over and over again from about 3880 to 3889 or so. And this has beenn going on for about a month or so???

Why is that? Is it because I bought subscribers once and should I NOT have done that?:)

Reactions: videoeditgr

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I mean, if you bought subs, then yeah I'd assume that could be part of it. YouTube's constantly filtering out inactive subs (sometimes even legitimate subscribers get unsubbed, just cause of how weird their algorithm is.) And when they update their filter, it might pick up illegitimate subs it missed from before. And then in addition to YouTube's algorithm, there's regular viewer patterns.
And most viewers don't realize what their individual sub count number means to smaller creators, so they think we won't notice or care if they unsub. lol

Try not to worry about numbers too much. You'll just get burntout eventually. Just focus on doing what you're passionate about and working with the audience that always sticks around every video. :)

Reactions: videoeditgr

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It could be that YouTube are closing the fake acounts at the same speed you are earning new subscribers?
Have you checked your stats within the dashboard. I lose hundreds (Sometimes thousands a month) due to both normal unsub and account closures.
Thanksfully I usually get around 5x new subs for every 1 lost so still increases.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
maybe you should check if while you bought subs or views you had any "subsfrosale-dot-com" references in this period's channel's analytics. This might be a bad permanent record for Youtube I think.

:)

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It could be that YouTube are closing the fake acounts at the same speed you are earning new subscribers?
I hope that´s the case:) It could be. It is like 2 subs down and 3 subs up and then 3 down and 2 up:)
Thanks to all of you for your answers. Lesson learned I will never buy subs again:) (if that is the case and problem of course)

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I suspect YouTube might be doing a lot of housekeeping with the subscriber numbers. I've also noticed a few big gains and sudden falls lately...

Reactions: Dave2017

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say it's normal. I've noticed the same, youtube every now and then closes inactive accounts. Last week they took 20 subscribers in one day, like WTH... this Is kind of a record for my channel, never before have lost that many in one day. Fortunately I recovered them quickly so yeah,, youtube sub count is pretty much broken and showing different subs in different platforms. I don't have the same amount of subscribers in Old Creator Studio Vs Beta Studio Vs iOS App Vs YouTube webpage so don't pay attention to that, just focus on Content and try always to earn more subs! I prefer having subs that watch my content instead of inactive, I wish we could have the option to remove them or see when was the last time a sub visited the channel but RIP

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't have the same amount of subscribers in Old Creator Studio Vs Beta Studio Vs iOS App Vs YouTube webpage so don't pay attention to that, just focus on Content and try always to earn more subs!
Yeah, that's happening for me, too, lol. They had really similar numbers for a while, but I've seen them differ by quite a lot for the last month or two... Maybe YouTube is trying to consolidate to the new studio and running into trouble based on what sub numbers to look at?? I dunno... I wouldn't get too caught up in the subscriber numbers unless there's a really big negative reaction to a video. I think of subscriber numbers as a vanity statistic -- watchtime seems to be the statistic that matters the most on YouTube atm... :eek:

Reactions: GameVestment