Subscribers don’t matter!!!

Reaction score
Yeah! It's pity. But the only thing, which count, is having a brand-safe channel. In Germany you find a lot of channels which have 1B subscribers and less than that dude who have 1K subscribers. Which is absolutely dumb. In a huge company a normal employee doesn't earn more than the manager, does he?

MysticalPhoenix

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Well when you start YouTube your subscriber count does matter because you need 1,000 subs to start getting paid. But when your above it I guess it really doesn’t matter but the view count

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Well when you start YouTube your subscriber count does matter because you need 1,000 subs to start getting paid. But when your above it I guess it really doesn’t matter but the view count
You still need a crapton of views to earn a meaningful income from the ad revenue. I'm approaching 3.5k subscribers, but only getting around 1k views and $2-3 per day, so I can't even reach the minimum payment threshold ($100) in 1 month. The payout schedule is weird too, you get paid after 20th in a month, so I basically waited almost 3 months for my first payment to hit the bank account. I can understand how channels in high CPM niches that get 10k+ views a day can rely on ad revenue. However, for tiny channels that don't get a lot of views, if you want to make some extra cash, you have to monetize with something else (Patreon, affiliate links, course sales etc.).

Subscribers only matter if you are super big and can use the "I have X million subscribers" to get brand deals and sponsors. Even then, more and more Internet-savvy brands and businesses understand it's all about good ol' eyeballs (views).

Reactions: MysticalPhoenix

Ater

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I believe it differs a lot on the channel, the niche and your personality.

Myself have a channel where my main content are tutorials. This mean that most of my viewers are people who have a problem or wants to learn something. They search for it, they find my channel, they learn what they wanted to learn and then they leave without much reason to come back since their problem has been solved. This means I get very few subs compared to views, last year I averaged just over 40k views/months but I only on average got 84 new subs/month.

But on the other end I have seen some really tight community building channels where every sub have a big effect on the channal since they come back watching almost every new video. And when they launch something like a Patereon even as a small channel they get $1000-2000 a month from the community they built.

Reactions: GearGasms

JayZippo

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree... I have about 3500 subs and it means NOTHING. I still barely breach 50-60 views a video.

TheBadDude

Reaction score
I think subs do matter.
In my last channel, my views did grow parrallel with subs.
My best friend has same trend. XD

TheClayWay

Reaction score
You still need a crapton of views to earn a meaningful income from the ad revenue. I'm approaching 3.5k subscribers, but only getting around 1k views and $2-3 per day, so I can't even reach the minimum payment threshold ($100) in 1 month. The payout schedule is weird too, you get paid after 20th in a month, so I basically waited almost 3 months for my first payment to hit the bank account. I can understand how channels in high CPM niches that get 10k+ views a day can rely on ad revenue. However, for tiny channels that don't get a lot of views, if you want to make some extra cash, you have to monetize with something else (Patreon, affiliate links, course sales etc.).

Subscribers only matter if you are super big and can use the "I have X million subscribers" to get brand deals and sponsors. Even then, more and more Internet-savvy brands and businesses understand it's all about good ol' eyeballs (views).
You do not need 1 million subscribers to get large brand deals, my deal with my sponsor and I only have 18,000 subscribers is $67,000 a year. Unfortunately my sponsor has never paid me any of that money but he has gave me a free place to work and a great deal of resources to make sure that I’m successful and his name gets out there. I’m certain if I can show him some kind of income stream I will certainly get my deal signed. But Even if It don’t it has opened up large revenue streams for my channel that would not exist without him.

I will say that if he ever signs the deal it will be great for me but even if he doesn’t it’s still very good for me.

So keep in mind that it only takes about two years to build a channel if your channel is going to be successful it will generally start to be successful within about two years it just takes a lot of work I spend 60 hours a week on my YouTube channel and if you watch any of my videos you will certainly know that they are not the greatest.

but for people that are looking for what I’m doing I do some pretty brilliant things on my channel with automobiles.

Keep working I promise you it will come to fruition someday God bless and have a great day

Reactions: Min/Max Munchking

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I’ve been running my channel full-time for about two years and for the first year and a half I thought subscribers really mattered, to how much money I made later finding out that it had nothing to do with it.

it’s about views and view duration.

When I started my YouTube channel to share the gift that I’ve been given by God. Showing people how to work on their automobiles from home and showing them some of the nice tricks that I’ve learned in my 30 years of working on automobiles.

I only started full-time after I was cheated out of $80,000 (my life savings). With nothing to do but work on a bunch of cars I started shooting YouTube video and I’d like to think over the years I’ve gotten better at it if you ever need any advice please ask. I will be happy to tell you what little bit I know but I do get over 500,000 views (very consistently) a month with a small subscriber count of only 19,000.

I don’t personally think that 19,000 is all that many people as followers. but I have started gearing my channel towards advertising and just helping people by answering everything that people say to me even if I don’t want to I’m always polite even when they’re not very polite to me.
Okay. I want to say this here so that maybe you and others can understand this. If more people understood what I am about to tell you, there would be a lot less misunderstanding about the subject of subscriber count. The first thing to understand is that not all subscriber counts are the same. You can't compare your channel with 19K subs with a channel like Cocomelon with 40 Million. You have to compare your channel with other channels that produce content in the same genre as yours. Some genres like cocomelon, trynottolaugh, and others, are what I call" gobbledygook" channels. They are like the candy store or donut shop of Youtube. They produce hollow, shallow content that is for meaningless entertainment purposes only. Guess what? People LOVE that kind of content. That kind of content appeals to a broad spectrum of people, so they have a pool of hundreds of millions (If not billions) of people to draw subs from.

Now, say you have an interest-based channel about renewing 1957 Chevys, or knitting, or canoe building. How many people are interested in those things? Not many. So, how many people available in that pool to draw subs from? There are some, but there are not millions. This is why you cannot compare an interest-based channel with a gobbledygook entertainment-based channel when it comes to subscriber counts. 1000 subs on a narrow interest-based channel dedicated to renewing 1957, or how to nit, or how to make a canoe, might be equivalent to 1 million (or 10 million) subs on a gobblygook channel. Why? Because out of the very small pool of people that are interested in the narrow topic of your channel, you got 1000 of them to sub to your channel. People that subscribe to gobbledygook channels are not serious people. They will hit that subscribe button without any thought. People that subscribe to interest-based channels are very serious about the thing they are interested in and won't just hit that subscribe button because they found your channel. You have to really impress them t get them to hit that subscribe button. If you also take into account that your channel is competing in the same market as these huge gobbledygook channels that are getting all the attention (YT suggestions), that means that those 1K subs are even more impressive.

I don't know your genre, but 19K is nothing to be ashamed of. It is true that subs do not equal more money, but subs DO equal MORE SUBS. Humans are very crowd influenced. The more people they see doing something, the more they feel comfortable doing the same things. Even though subs do not equal money, they equal respect, and respect equals more money. The problem is that most people do not understand the subs vs genre issue. So the see a channel in a much less popular interest-based genre and they expect it to have the millions of subs like the huge gobbledygook channels. This is very unfair. The same is true for sponsors. They think that if you don't have a million subs, you are not worth talking to, regardless of what genre you are in.

This is definitely a problem with channels in narrow interest-based genres that don't have a large pool of people to draw subs from.

Last edited:

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I do agree that 'subscriber count' seems to become less important. It is getting harder to get people to subscribe. Most of our views come from non-subs anyway.IMG_20200214_142027_290.jpg