evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi All,

As the title suggests i'm having a few issues getting rid of background noise whilst i'm recording, I seem to get a lot of background hum, mouse clicks etc

If you check out one of my recent recordings you should be able to hear the background noise I am talking about

I'm recording through OBS Studio, have a noise suppression filter set & am using a blue yeti microphone. I'm happy that my voice is clear and everything but feel the background noise is kinda lowering the quality of my videos.

Any suggestions

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I'd recommend you record using Audacity instead of OBS and then use Audacity's Noise reduction filter to get rid of the white noise. Or if you absolutely must record with OBS, import the audio into Audacity and use the noise reduction filter to clean it up. :)

Cookey

Reaction score
I've never used OBS Studio so can't really say anything about that but I get a lot of background noise in my recordings (use a blue snowball) and I use audacity to remove it.

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ah right audacity looks like the way to go then, just having a look at it now. So I can use audacity to record the sound whilst i record the video through obs?

Cookey

Reaction score
Ah right audacity looks like the way to go then, just having a look at it now. So I can use audacity to record the sound whilst i record the video through obs?
Yep you can record it directly through audacity. What i do when i record using obs (not studio idk the difference) is I open the footage in my video editor (in my case sony vegas) and i open the audio part in audacity. so i recorded it in obs but i can open it in audacity but you can also record directly in audacity

hope that makes sense sorry kinda all over the place

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think i understand what you mean, but im guessing i need to somehow sync audacity with OBS so the sound recording in audacity matches the video recording in obs? (assuming im correct in thinking audacity can only record sound right?)

Cookey

Reaction score
I think i understand what you mean, but im guessing i need to somehow sync audacity with OBS so the sound recording in audacity matches the video recording in obs? (assuming im correct in thinking audacity can only record sound right?)
Yes if you do them separately you would have to sync them. What I used to do was record on audacity but i would also leave obs recording so it was easy to sync them in the video editor (putting one audio on top of the other until there is no repetition of words or whatever)

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh of course because audacity will produce its own audio file so i can move that in the editor, i was being stupid haha I understand what you mean now :-D

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I feel the same haha.
If I play PC games, my keyboard especially makes a lot of noise, since it's mechanical.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi Evolov, what software do you use to edit with? You could add a filter /Effect to the audio afterwards (not if you are making live recording though) as well or instead of. Final Cut Pro X has 'Noise Removal' which works well for me to hide background noises such as traffic from outside the house. You can edit the amount of noise removal. I guess most/all other editors would have a feature that does noise removal also. I don't think you will get rid of mouse clicks.