Stopping for 5 months?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
So I don't really have a choice here, I need to revise for upcoming exams and YouTube is way to distracting because of the need to upload and the drama that goes about.

I need to stop/not focus on my channel for the next five months. That means not uploading, and not replying to messages. I don't want lots of people to unsubscribe because I'm inactive, and I'm going to lose money because I won't be generating any revenue from new videos. The last thing I want is to lose momentum, and for it to be very hard for my videos to gain views when I come back/someone else replaces me.

Anyone heard any stories of channels that went inactive for a short time, only to come back and find it was hard to upload again? Or anything I have missed out that may be a disadvantage if I'm not uploading as frequently?

I'm considering putting out an announcement video telling my subscribers how long I will be away for. Is this a good approach? What's the best way to do this? And is there a better way than stopping completely?

Any feedback especially from channels that have been in a similar situation will be appreciated [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dbrothers Gaming

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just so you know neither of your channel links work. You will have to put thedoubledopler in the link in order for it to work correctly. I would suggest that you try to keep uploading even if you cannot upload nearly as much as you do now. Put together a bunch of videos now and then slowly post them. Also make a video when you have a chance. I think that telling your subscribers that you will be taking a break and explaining the reason will really help keep them interested. They will understand, and if you can still upload a video every other week (even if it isn't something you just recorded) that will help to keep them checking in on your channel.

GBeeTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Just so you know neither of your channel links work. You will have to put thedoubledopler in the link in order for it to work correctly. I would suggest that you try to keep uploading even if you cannot upload nearly as much as you do now. Put together a bunch of videos now and then slowly post them. Also make a video when you have a chance. I think that telling your subscribers that you will be taking a break and explaining the reason will really help keep them interested. They will understand, and if you can still upload a video every other week (even if it isn't something you just recorded) that will help to keep them checking in on your channel.
This is great advice, try make as many vids as you can and spread them out. I would not advise going absolutely blank for 5 months

TeddySmith

Reaction score
It wouldn't be a Youtube death sentence, but it would undo alot of hardwork! There is one guy in my category (real-estate) that uploads every month and he used to be a bi-weekly uploader. His channel still continues to grow. Just put up a video every month OP.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Wanting to not lose momentum and taking an extended break just aren't two things that go together.

My best advice is to work hard on your channel right now, and schedule uploads for the future. Futureproofing your channel is probably the most effective thing you can do right now, so I'd suggest that!

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's kind of a hit-or-miss thing. I've seen inactive YTers gaining subs at a steady rate despite being on hiatus.

But just to be safe, schedule videos in advance (1 month per video) so you don't have to prepare them when you need to.

ToyBoxMagic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We stopped uploading to our channel for a couple of months to focus on our other business and it just about killed our channel. We've had to work so hard just to get it back to where it was before. Of course, we are a toy channel and there is a lot of competition out there. I would take the suggestion from above. Film quite a bit of content now that you can release over time just to keep your channel going. We try to do some compilations when we are pressed for time. Hope that helps!