Still inswcure ane shy behind the camera?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Hey YTers,

Any tips for getting over "stage fright"?

I have NEVER felt comfortable in front of a camera until very recently (about a year ago) and I finally racked up the confidence to start my channel.. Nevertheless, I still feel uncomfortable talking to the camera sometimes. When i playback, I tend to rerecord a lot because I dislike the way I look or sound.. It drives me up the wall sometimes but I just don't know how to get over this insecurity! Tips, tricks, stories?

Thanks guys!

I can understand that.

At times I have redone my opening line multiple times in 1 video or restarted because I did not like my initial introduction or something at the start. The best thing I can say is just be yourself. Don't think about the fact that you are recording, just imagine that you are talking to a friend or showing your friend something. When I do that it makes it a lot easier for me to sit and record.

That being said, I looked at some of your videos and I enjoyed them! I think you are doing great! Don't be nervous!

Hey there!

hmm... my biggest tip would be keep reviewing your videos before you upload and consistency. I am almost positive that when most Youtubers start, the stage fright in the beginning and it is indeed a bit uncomfortable talking to a camera. I've been there myself. If you go alllll the way back to my first video I am so monotone lol.

All in all, I saw some of your videos and you seem to be doing fine haven't seen a lot of uneasiness in your videos o: but keep at it though and eventually it'll go away!

Hey YTers,

Any tips for getting over "stage fright"?

I have NEVER felt comfortable in front of a camera until very recently (about a year ago) and I finally racked up the confidence to start my channel.. Nevertheless, I still feel uncomfortable talking to the camera sometimes. When i playback, I tend to rerecord a lot because I dislike the way I look or sound.. It drives me up the wall sometimes but I just don't know how to get over this insecurity! Tips, tricks, stories?

Thanks guys!
Well i know for me it was really weird seeing myself recorded and having to edit.. i would cringe a lot for sure. I would say it takes time and experience to get over stage fright and being insecure. I dont think these types of things come naturally for most people, so just keep doing your best! Eventually you wont have to rerecord things and it will become a lot more natural! Just relax and be yourself and it will get better with time! :)

I don't usually show my face in my videos, but for voice commentary the biggest help was to record lots of long videos and after I moved to 15-20 min videos and did like 50+ of those everything feels almost too automatic when I'm talking. I was initially very uncomfortable with unscripted videos over 10 mins but after doing a lot of them they now feel a ton easier.

Anyways my biggest problem was finding things to say without a script(I used to read word for word!) but again practice and making a couple hundred videos seems to have vastly improved my abilities and confidence.

Yeah I mean I'd say just keep getting more and more camera time and you should start to become comfortable with who you are and how you sound.

Takes a bit of time to get confident in front of the camera. It's no different to being on tv. Well actually I'd argue it's harder. Go look at my first video and my latest ones and hopefully you'll see a big change. I haven't done anything different, I just became familiar with the camera. Took me a good few months to get comfortable. Even now though I still mess stuff up, I'll say something 3 or 4 times in one go until I get what I'm happy with then edit out the rest. If you saw my raw footage you'd think I was crazy!

'Once you've chopped your veg.....once you've chopped up the vegetable........once you have peeled and chopping the ve.......once the vegetables have been chopped.....when the veg is chopped'

I've taken 2 minutes just to say one thing before becaue I kept messing it up haha.

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine

I can understand that.

At times I have redone my opening line multiple times in 1 video or restarted because I did not like my initial introduction or something at the start. The best thing I can say is just be yourself. Don't think about the fact that you are recording, just imagine that you are talking to a friend or showing your friend something. When I do that it makes it a lot easier for me to sit and record.

That being said, I looked at some of your videos and I enjoyed them! I think you are doing great! Don't be nervous!
Thanks for watching, I'm really glad you enjoyed the videos! And thanks for the advice.. I'll try that next time - pretending I'm talking to a friend, I'm sure it will definitely help a lot and make me feel a bit more comfortable
Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1492865629,1492865159][/DOUBLEPOST]
Takes a bit of time to get confident in front of the camera. It's no different to being on tv. Well actually I'd argue it's harder. Go look at my first video and my latest ones and hopefully you'll see a big change. I haven't done anything different, I just became familiar with the camera. Took me a good few months to get comfortable. Even now though I still mess stuff up, I'll say something 3 or 4 times in one go until I get what I'm happy with then edit out the rest. If you saw my raw footage you'd think I was crazy!

'Once you've chopped your veg.....once you've chopped up the vegetable........once you have peeled and chopping the ve.......once the vegetables have been chopped.....when the veg is chopped'

I've taken 2 minutes just to say one thing before becaue I kept messing it up haha.

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine

Hahaha, sounds exactly like me, I repeat everything about 18 times before getting something I like..
I've just taken a look at some of your videos (and subscribed) and I can definitely see the difference between your older and newer videos.. thanks for the response, definitely helped a lot![DOUBLEPOST=1492865843][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't usually show my face in my videos, but for voice commentary the biggest help was to record lots of long videos and after I moved to 15-20 min videos and did like 50+ of those everything feels almost too automatic when I'm talking. I was initially very uncomfortable with unscripted videos over 10 mins but after doing a lot of them they now feel a ton easier.

Anyways my biggest problem was finding things to say without a script(I used to read word for word!) but again practice and making a couple hundred videos seems to have vastly improved my abilities and confidence.

Yeah I mean I'd say just keep getting more and more camera time and you should start to become comfortable with who you are and how you sound.
That's also a big issue for me; unless it's scripted I never know what to say and I end up really struggling to find words.. You're definitley right though, in the sense that even after a few videos I've stopped reading word for word and started throwing a little bit more "personality" in there.. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to record an unscripted video without tripping over my words![DOUBLEPOST=1492866049][/DOUBLEPOST]
I checked your newest video. You don't seem to have any shyness. You are talking crystal clear! :)
I'm really really glad it seems that way to you as a viewer! I have noticed that the nervousness is sort of.. shrinking, with every new video. But regardless it takes some getting used to hearing myself on camera, of course but it really helps to know that you can't see the shyness as much as I can feel it :) Much appreciated!

I have a script behind the camera but I've normally already recited most of it before I do my videos.When I first began I made so many mistakes, even at one point lit my own hair on fire! I think my youtube blooper video will be awesome when it eventually comes outs :p

Just practice,practice, practice . I try and visualise I am talking to my best mate which helps too.

Back