Starting Again From Scratch...

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So the YT channel that was linked to my site had been in development for a good number of years. It wasn't something we worked on hugely, but it had 1300+ subs and over 3 million video views. A few weeks ago, YT took the decision to terminate the channel for "multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content" - which was nonsense, because all we had in the channel was our own content (unboxings, event coverage) or movie clips and trailers that we had studio authorisation to use. We had a share of copyright flags, all of which we successfully quashed because we had authorisation for re-use. We were also a YT partner.

YouTube, par for the course, were utterly terrible in trying to resolve the issue, resorting to one boilerplate response and then no further communication. We think the issue might have been because the channel wasn't properly linked to our Google+ page, mainly because we started the channel before Google bought YT.

Fortunately, I have backups of most of the videos and there doesn't seem to be an issue uploading them to the channel that's attached to the Google+ page. So it looks like a case of starting again. We'll keep it to our own content this time, but I'd like to hear what you'd do if you had to start over with a brand new channel and take the long road to getting subscribers and views?

Sound off!

V3XL0R

Personifying Music Since 1994
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Animator
First off, welcome back. I remember you from like 2015 when I was on YTTalk frequently (recently came back to YTTalk). I'm sorry to hear about your old channel being taken down, but I'd consider it as a fresh start if I were you (it's hard to say that though because of all the subs and views you previously had). You know, maybe it might bring up new ideas and ways to express them.

As for the question, I've been thinking about that for a little while now because of the things that I hear that keep happening with copyright issues and trying to be politically correct for the advertisers. I experienced this with Soundcloud a while back, so I've put Soundcloud on the back burner for the time being. Idk if I'd start a new channel if my current one was taken down for any reason. If I do, I probably wouldn't take it as seriously. This is why I've looked into other video sites (currently giving vidme a try). Even then, a lot of my success is between the music I've made and the streaming I do on Twitch.

I just hate it how we can't express ourselves anymore. They put a cap on what we can say and do so we don't hurt someone's "fee-fee's". YouTube is very unstable imho. One thing I'd recommend to you is don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Look for other places to make videos and such or think about streaming on Twitch or something. When it's not about having to be politically correct, it's about being covered up because of an over-saturated market YouTube has become. Kudos to Google's success, however. I just create the content I want, hoping nothing happens to me because I still have a voice. I'm a very creative person and I'd rather they delete my channel than to be shut up from my creativity and free speech.

Anyways, I hope things turn out well for you in your new YouTube channel. :)

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally if my channel was to be canned I dont think I could start again. Of course I know more than I did at the first and to get the channel back up would take less time but my motivation would be shot.
Well done for wanting to start again and good luck getting back to where you was and getting bigger than ever.

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks guys, I think the worst thing about it is that we weren't actually doing anything wrong and Google/YT simply would not communicate on the specifics of the video.

Onwards and upwards, at least with the ready-made content I have I can keep a steady flow of regular content which may help some. I'm also hedging my bets and have registered accounts with Vidmeand Vimeo to ensure the content is always backed up in an alternative platform.

Loery Potpie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Animator
Wow that sucks man. If that would have happened to me, I would be p****d off. But anyway, if I were you I would stick to your own content. One thing that can motivate you really is that you know you got 1300 subs with your videos so you will most certainly get it again, if you are patient.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I just wanted to point out that if you believe your channel was unfairly terminated, you should go through the appropriate channels to appeal the termination, because YouTube's policy is that if you have a channel that is terminated, then you can never have any other alternate channel. What this means is that as long as you have a channel termination tied to your account, then any additional channel you try to create or manage afterward will eventually be terminated as well. So it's SUPER important to clear up your name if you ever hope to do YouTube again.

One thing to note: be smart about how you appeal. If you appeal for the wrong reasons or with the wrong explanations, then YouTube may reject the appeal. So, from looking at your post:

A few weeks ago, YT took the decision to terminate the channel for "multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content" - which was nonsense, because all we had in the channel was our own content (unboxings, event coverage) or movie clips and trailers that we had studio authorisation to use. We had a share of copyright flags, all of which we successfully quashed because we had authorisation for re-use. We were also a YT partner.
Please note that copyright has nothing to do with a community guidelines violation for spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content. So if you were hypothetically to appeal and talk about that sort of stuff, then they would think you had no idea what you were talking about.

YouTube, par for the course, were utterly terrible in trying to resolve the issue, resorting to one boilerplate response and then no further communication. We think the issue might have been because the channel wasn't properly linked to our Google+ page, mainly because we started the channel before Google bought YT.
AFAIK, not being linked to a Google+ page is not considered spam, deceptive practices, or misleading content, either.

It's frustrating, because this is by far the broadest violation -- and YouTube usually doesn't go into specifics into what they thought was spammy, misleading, or deceptive. However, I have seen many cases where this strike/account termination was reversed, so YouTube occasionally does acknowledge its mistakes occasionally.

Reactions: stayhealthytv

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just wanted to point out that if you believe your channel was unfairly terminated, you should go through the appropriate channels to appeal the termination, because YouTube's policy is that if you have a channel that is terminated, then you can never have any other alternate channel.
Appreciated, but I've already been through the appeals process and they were no help. The new channel is linked to an entirely different account. The alternate video platforms are the contingency against it happening again.

One thing to note: be smart about how you appeal. If you appeal for the wrong reasons or with the wrong explanations, then YouTube may reject the appeal.
I did a lot of reading on the subject before I appealed. It unfortunately didn't do any good.

Please note that copyright has nothing to do with a community guidelines violation for spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content. So if you were hypothetically to appeal and talk about that sort of stuff, then they would think you had no idea what you were talking about.
I'm well aware of the differences between copyright and the other stuff, I didn't bring any of the copyright into the appeal. The problem was, as you rightly state, that it's such a broad violation we had nothing to go on. No warnings previously, no inkling that something may have gone wrong. As far as I'm concerned, it's a lost cause and I refuse to spend any more time dealing with an organisation that is so unbelievably non-customer-centric. I'll leave the rest to fate, if they can the new channel, so be it. YouTube is an offshoot of our main site, not the core of our attention so if Google wants to shut us down again then we'll just move elsewhere like we've already done. :)

Thanks for the words of advice, much appreciated.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
WOW that sounds tough dude...I dont know what I would do if it happened to me. I would have to dig deep to motivation to start over again that´s for sure:( But best of luck to you with rebuilding or building up a new channel. Im sure you will make it:up2: