Starting a new channel - Copyright question

AMF

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and to starting a channel. I was wondering some things about making of the channel, but after trying to figure out somethings I still couldn’t find the answer to what I was looking for. For my channel idea I want to review products or discuss my opinion of those certain products. For the videos I need to use pictures of the product, but Im aware we can’t just use google images. Except, when I look at various channels, they all to some degree use google images. Example would be this video:
. This youtuber and his videos are great, but I don’t think he goes and buys all of the products he talks about and then takes pictures of them. How do youtubers get away with using images from the internet without breaking guidelines? Thanks!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved this to the copyright forum. :)

If it were me, I'd email the manufacturers of each product, explain the situation and then ask them for photos and their permission to use those photographs. I doubt they will refuse and the advantage is you then have written permission when they reply to the email. (Keep their email reply and print it out). :)

AMF

Reaction score
Thanks for moving the thread. Should have known to put it in this section . Also thanks for your advice and reply. It just seems so unlikely to me that every youtuber messages each manufacturer to get permission to use their pictures. I’m aware of sites such as pixabay and unsplash allowing use of pictures, but they’re often quite limiting.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
For my channel idea I want to review products or discuss my opinion of those certain products.
There is a 99.9999999% chance that this will be considered fair use.

Im aware we can’t just use google images.
Why not?

How do youtubers get away with using images from the internet without breaking guidelines? Thanks!
Because it's fair use.

The whole point of fair use is that you don't need a license to use the copyrighted content!

The google images filters "licensed for [noncommercial] reuse [with modification]" only apply if the thing you are doing with the work isn't fair use. If it's fair use, the rightsholders can take their licenses as shove them up their butts.

Here's a video - made by Youtube's own employees - discussing how they protect a channel's right to fair use:

Notice the last step. You file a DMCA counter-notification and they have to file a lawsuit. Once they file that lawsuit, you can plead fair use to the court. If your video truly is a review or analysis (aka giving your opinion on products), then the court should find that your fair use defense is valid and throw out the plaintiff's claim.

But 99.999999999999% of product manufacturers aren't going to go that far because they have large teams of lawyers who will advise against suing for copyright infringement when it is obviously fair use.