Started with 24K subscribers but took a long hiatus..advice?

kay19mac

Reaction score
My channel is rockinchick1219,and I started YouTube about 6 years ago. My first video went viral, it was a stop motion lyric video. Those were a huge trend back in the day. After I saw how big it got (1.5 million views) I decided to stick with it and keep uploading more of the same type, along with some vlogs. I had a pretty awesome fan base, but I kinda stopped uploading for a couple years and have finally gotten back into it. A lot of people that were previously subscribed to me did so for the fact that they liked the stopmotion. Obviously I've grown up quite a bit since then so my videos are going to be very different, and people are saying they liked my old videos better. I plan on taking my channel in a different direction, but I was thinking about doing a sort of throwback type of video, like making one last stop motion just for kicks, as I'm trying not to lose what I had and it's hard to build back up. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me in this situation?
Thanks!

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Sprinkle of glitter famously changed the whole direction of her channel because she didn't want to be all nice and sickly sweet anymore. She now swears and talks about sex lol. So you can absolutely change direction because it's your channel. If it's not your day job you havent got much to lose. Plus it's always better to start with a Base of subscribers than none. Even if half unsubscribe that still leaves you with 12k left that are happy with your content. I'd love 12k! Lol

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with Adam - Just start uploading new content in the way you want to. Rebrand etc.
You might find some will leave but also some may love your new content.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
My channel is rockinchick1219,and I started YouTube about 6 years ago. My first video went viral, it was a stop motion lyric video. Those were a huge trend back in the day. After I saw how big it got (1.5 million views) I decided to stick with it and keep uploading more of the same type, along with some vlogs. I had a pretty awesome fan base, but I kinda stopped uploading for a couple years and have finally gotten back into it. A lot of people that were previously subscribed to me did so for the fact that they liked the stopmotion. Obviously I've grown up quite a bit since then so my videos are going to be very different, and people are saying they liked my old videos better. I plan on taking my channel in a different direction, but I was thinking about doing a sort of throwback type of video, like making one last stop motion just for kicks, as I'm trying not to lose what I had and it's hard to build back up. I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me in this situation?
Thanks!

Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

There have been a few threads about this recently (in the strategy section) so I suggest you browse the first 2-3 pages and check out the advice there. Good luck.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

OnlyGameplay

The Real OG
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Most of your audience subscribed to you because they're interested in stop motion, so if you start uploading different content, it's inevitable that you're going to lose some subscribers. That being said, go for it and take your channel in the new direction you have in mind. It's much, much, muuuch easier to rebrand an existing channel with 24K subs than it is to grow a brand new channel from 0 subs. (btw your channel link in your footer is broken. If you go to "Personal Details" and change "YouTube Channel URL Type" to "/User/" it should fix it) Best of luck! =)

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You could do a video and title it something like "I'm Back". Have the video start in stop-motion and transition into what you want your channel to be like, so like stop-motion into a vlog. Start out explaining through the stop-motion that you are back making videos but want to change direction, etc. and transition into the new type of video.

It'll start off as something familiar to your audience and help transition them into your new type of content.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Your core audience is there for you. That's who you should focus on. Be honest with them about the transition and they will support you.

Then, make haste slowly. Make your changes, but know it will take time for the people who support you to adjust and to attract the new audience you are trying to reach.

Be patient and you'll be fine.

Johnny Dee

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks!
[DOUBLEPOST=1489258443,1489258409][/DOUBLEPOST]Youtube says you don,t exist?

OburnE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
[DOUBLEPOST=1489258443,1489258409][/DOUBLEPOST]Youtube says you don,t exist?
Have you tried searching her name on youtube rockinchick1219

You are way bigger Youtuber than I am so no advice from me but if I were you I would throw one or two stop motion music videos to engage with my audience and post other videos like vlogs maybe because you are not making any money from the music videos since they are copyrighted.