Start Your Gaming Channel (Commentaries, Montages etc)

ApexSpartan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator
Hey guys,

I've recently joined this website and now I will try to share some of my experience with you and try to help all of you who are looking to start your gaming channel, but do not know how to record, edit your videos and so on.

So the first thing you want to do of course, is get a catchy name that suits your type of videos. If you do montages go for some name that suits and sounds bad a** or if you wish to do commentaries, go for a name that will suit your style of commentaries; Funny, tutorials, walkthroughs etc

REMEMBER: Take your time with your YT channel name because you want it to be catchy and you want it for YOU to like it. I once made a mistake and just disliked my channel name and decided to start a new one just because I didn't like the channel name I had. I lost 150 subscribers because of that....BAD MOVE!

Second thing to do is setup your channel and that means add description, make yourself a logo and anything else to make it attractive and suit your style. If you are not good in Photoshop, try out GIMP. It has less options, but yet has lots of options just like PS, but they are just simpler to use. I started out with GIMP and moved to Photoshop a year later. GIMP is a great way to start, just google it and download it...it's free!

Once you have done that, you are ready to play and record!

Here is a list of software to record your gameplay, but these ones are NOT free.

1. FRAPS
2. Mirillis Action
3. Bandicam
4. DxTory

-Remember, there are more, but these are some which are pretty popular.

I know one FREE recording AND livestreaming software and it's "Free Broadcast Software".
Just google it or visit www.obsproject.com

I tried it out and it works great for recording my footage and for livestreaming on Twitch.
Some of the paid software above offer you a free trial version so make sure you check them all out. :)
But remember that recording your gameplay takes CPU power and can lower your frames per second if you are recording directly to your gaming PC, but that's only if your PC doesn't meet the necessary requirements.

Now we have your recording software setup, your channel setup AND we even have a nice photo editing software for you and now let's move to your editing software.

Now this is something to take slowly. If you are new to video editing, you can go with Windows Movie Maker which is free, but has very limited options and is user-friendly. I skipped it just because I knew it doesn't have the tools I need and is very limited and if you wish to work on your videos and channel for long time, you probably want to move to something more advanced so here is a list.

1. Like I said, you can try out Windows Movie Maker which is FREE!

2. Sony Vegas Pro is probably my favorite and has all the tools I need. It's advanced and has a little learning curve, but if you try using it and look at some tutorials on Youtube, you will catch the drift quickly.

3. Adobe Premiere is like Sony Vegas, but I think it offers even more features, but is a little more complicated to use than Sony Vegas, especially if you never worked on ANY video editing software before. Adobe offers really cool editing features, but they take some time to get used to.

4. If you wish to have fancy effects or make awesome looking montages, you can try out Adobe After Effects which offers AWESOME features and effects, but also takes some time to get used to it and isn't really easy-to-use for people new to editing.

Now these are 4 video editing software that are probably the most popular, but they are pretty expensive. There is lots more free editing software which you can find for free so just Google for it.^^

Personally, I started out imminently with Sony Vegas Pro simply because it offers all the tools I need for my type of videos and that is commentaries. It is very simple to use once you get used to it and you will probably get used to it quickly, so just practice and watch some tutorials on Youtube. :)

If you wish to make commentaries, then all you just need on top of the rest of the stuff I listed is a microphone. If you wish to record your voice and put it in your gameplay video, just record it using either Windows Voice Recorder or Audacity. Audacity offers great voice quality, you can even play with it and remove any background noise if you mic is not the top quality and you can simply then convert it to any audio file you want to.
Now we have your channel, photo editing software, gameplay recording software AND video editing software all setup and listed so now it's your turn to take your pick, do some research on which will suit you the best and get started.

If you are complete new to video editing, it will be a little hard at the beginning I guess and it will take you some time to get used to your software, but once you are through that phase, then it will all just depend on your imagination. Imagination will be your only limit. :)

APHSpace

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Well done sir, you have helped me greatly!

joshiedatgamer9413

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey i can do flash game play just fine ( i use Bandicam and its awesome) but when i do my console game play i have the black bars on the side and i can't find a software/program that can crop it any ideas
oh i have Go Mic by Samson have you heard of it

Cay

Ytalks Reviewer
Reaction score
Very good thread you can tell you put alot of effort into it

xWTM

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I can tell you put a lot of time into this. I hope people just starting out take this post and use it effectively.