Square one: Getting a camera

ForeverAlonePrick

I don't know what's going on.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
All I have to record myself for my vlogs is a webcam with poor audio quality and a lag, and my phone with poor visual quality and a limit of one minute recording. I'm really looking into getting a new camera, but I have no idea where to start.

For the basics, I don't want any lag in my videos, like most of you here don't. I also need to be able to put the video files on my computer for editing, if I choose to do so on that particular video. I know with some digital devices, they just send your videos places, like facebook, and that's no good. I need to get them on my computer before they go online.

Ideally, I'd not want to spend more than $40-60 on a new camera. If I have to, I guess that's okay, but I'd love something that's reasonably priced. It doesn't have to be HD or anything, just good enough to make my videos easy enough to watch. That's the largest complaint I get about my videos, the watchability. Any advice on cameras would be appreciated. Thanks!

zebracloak

I make Movies like I make Friends.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger
I wouldn't expect to find a quality camera for less than $60. I have never seen one. Search Amazon.com.

JTAphotographs

Ask me anything. ANYTHING! o_O
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
Try this Video Camera:​
vivitar-690hd.jpg
This is the Vivitar 690 HD :) It's an HD Video Camera for around that price range. I'd seen something about this a while ago, however, I don't know too much information on it, so you may want to go into a little more detail :)
Hope this helps ;)

Reactions: Michael

ForeverAlonePrick

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is the Vivitar 690 HD :) It's an HD Video Camera for around that price range. I'd seen something about this a while ago, however, I don't know too much information on it, so you may want to go into a little more detail :)
Hope this helps ;)
Sounds cool! I guess a more appropriate way of phrasing my question should have been asking what camera people use, how well it has worked for them, and how much money it cost them. I'll definitely look into it though. Thanks a ton for pointing it out!

JTAphotographs

Ask me anything. ANYTHING! o_O
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
Sounds cool! I guess a more appropriate way of phrasing my question should have been asking what camera people use, how well it has worked for them, and how much money it cost them. I'll definitely look into it though. Thanks a ton for pointing it out!
No problem :) I use the video camera from an iPhone 4 to film and when I buy my new DSLR (Nikon D5100) I will use that for the majority of filming ;)

Reactions: ForeverAlonePrick

ForeverAlonePrick

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
No problem :) I use the video camera from an iPhone 4 to film and when I buy my new DSLR (Nikon D5100) I will use that for the majority of filming ;)
Awesome! On an unrelated note, I've thought about getting a smart phone recently, for a number of reasons. They're so expensive, but I could use a built-in camera, that'd be awesome! :D

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank goodness you're thinking about getting a new camera :)! You have a few things to consider...

Since you're mostly doing talking vlogs, the sound quality will be just as important as the video. The audio in a lot of your videos is really harsh and you want to veer away from that. I agree that you won't find anything too special in the $40-$60 price range but you don't have to get anything too expensive either. I use a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W570 to record all of my videos, and with decent lighting you can get pretty good results (I'm planning on upgrading soon though). I know Canon makes reasonably priced cameras that have HD video capabilities as well.

A flip cam isn't as good as the other camera's I mentioned but it's a little cheaper and it's still a pretty good video recording device. An iPhone (although more expensive) does decent video too.

ForeverAlonePrick

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank goodness you're thinking about getting a new camera :)! You have a few things to consider...

Since you're mostly doing talking vlogs, the sound quality will be just as important as the video. The audio in a lot of your videos is really harsh and you want to veer away from that. I agree that you won't find anything too special in the $40-$60 price range but you don't have to get anything too expensive either. I use a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W570 to record all of my videos, and with decent lighting you can get pretty good results (I'm planning on upgrading soon though). I know Canon makes reasonably priced cameras that have HD video capabilities as well.

A flip cam isn't as good as the other camera's I mentioned but it's a little cheaper and it's still a pretty good video recording device. An iPhone (although more expensive) does decent video too.
Sounds awesome! I'm really looking forward to upgrading, and seeing how big of a commitment buying a camera actually is, this is a big deal. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Stef