Splitscreen video, what do you think ?

Xapok

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hello people of the internets :)

It is a technique I meant to try for a long time, the tricky bit was to sync the 4 videos.
Any suggestions or ideas to make the next one better ?
Here it is :

Have a great weekend,

Xavier

LytaneVS

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Xavier! So I had a look at your new split screen video and here are a few of my thoughts!
First off nice cover of the song, it was cool to see a ukulele version of this song.
Now as for syncing the videos that can be tricky. When you play are you listening to the original song or do you play freely and add each layer by listening to the last one? If you are adding each layer then it should be easier to sync especially if you do something like a clap or sound at the start of the song.
For the video itself the split feels a little cluttered but will serve. The main thing I can say is that it isn't dynamic at all. If you watch a lot of split screen music clips they add, change and remove splits to keep it interesting. Like the first 23 seconds of the song is intro with just the instruments. Have them focused on the screen and big then when you go to sing cut to the format you have now "adding" yourself into the song. Then when you get to the chorus change it up again by switching the position of the videos or even removing one or two. It will make the clip more exciting even with the chill vibe you are going for.

Xapok

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hey Xavier! So I had a look at your new split screen video and here are a few of my thoughts!
First off nice cover of the song, it was cool to see a ukulele version of this song.
Now as for syncing the videos that can be tricky. When you play are you listening to the original song or do you play freely and add each layer by listening to the last one? If you are adding each layer then it should be easier to sync especially if you do something like a clap or sound at the start of the song.
For the video itself the split feels a little cluttered but will serve. The main thing I can say is that it isn't dynamic at all. If you watch a lot of split screen music clips they add, change and remove splits to keep it interesting. Like the first 23 seconds of the song is intro with just the instruments. Have them focused on the screen and big then when you go to sing cut to the format you have now "adding" yourself into the song. Then when you get to the chorus change it up again by switching the position of the videos or even removing one or two. It will make the clip more exciting even with the chill vibe you are going for.
Hey Lytane VS

thank you very much for your input :)
I'll definitely follow your advice on the next split screen I do.
I'd like it more dynamic too, in the edit AND the playing.. having a couple of jugs of coffee before starting ;-)

Thanks again !

Envoyé de mon FRD-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Split screen can serve many ways, here is an inspiration for next projects,
nofilmschool.com/2017/04/new-music-video-makes-perfect-use-split-screen
the question is, why do you want to use it? :p
A song is a story in lyrics, it might be difficult to tell a story in spit screens all the way.
Adding dynamics may also mean lots of shootings.
e.g. a different or unregular angle of view, some close ups,
a wide enough frame to see your feet ticking with the rythm, whatever...
I do not know if you are looking on a screen or something while playing / singing
but maybe it would be nice to have some eye contact with the camera?
Also noticed that singers turn their glance to different places
maybe depending on the lyrics or something else.
I mean you look constantly to the same spot.
Black mike and black clothing is something else, but this is subjective.
A last comment just to tease you, the smaller black bass hands?
reminded me of the "mini me" :D :p

:)

Xapok

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hello videoeditgr ,

Thanks for the article, very creative and interesting, I think I'll try that by replacing my head with the head of my cat while I'm playing ukulele, that could work :) Anything with cats tend to work on the internet ! So great idea there, thank you.

Now, why split screen you ask, mmh... Well, because I wanted to see if I could do it really !
Maybe also because no one wanted to play shape of you with me :crying: ... sigh ...

I'm experimenting with video editing techniques.
Now I don't know how you say this in english but let's say the "what you are saying" and "how you are saying it", and in these video, I focus on the 'how'.
In my more recent video, by the way, I'm putting the lyrics in first position, trying yet another technique, and I'll post it in the review section so you can see what I mean.

I'm looking straight ahead, trying to focus on singing right really :) The black outfit and background to make the rest stand out more, big fan of contrast.
As for the bass, it's playing a basic line, not very interesting, so yes I shrunk it big time ;) Minimizing at the max placing myself in the frontpocket of my shirt !

Your suggestions of adding pace and multiple shooting is a great one too. And that's when I realise I'm at this point in my journey of video making where I've reached the amateur first milestone, and if I want to go any further, I really need to organise my shooting, scripting, storyboarding, let alone measuring the amount of time I can decently put into making a video. That's maybe the toughest question of them all !

Reactions: videoeditgr