Specifically Thumbnails

Jamie Lee Bones

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey all!!

I've been working on my thumbnails for a few weeks now. It's gone from taking 5 minutes to make to now a relatively long process (which I'm sure will get quicker and easier with time) but I want to make sure it's worth the effort I'm putting in.

If you go to my uploads you'll see that I've got about 20 videos up so far. You'll also (hopefully) see my progression of Thumbnail designs. Right around my review of Kingsman is when I started changing up how I do thumbnails.

I'm still in the learning process so I know that some of my thumbnails are a little weak but I'm hopping the progression is that they're getting better. And also that the difference is significant enough that it equals out the amount of time I'm putting into them.

Thoughts?

Also any helpful suggestions concerning thumbnails would be greatly appreciated :)

Some additional background info;
  • I currently use a mixture of Google Apps (Pixlr editor and Pic Monkey)
  • I made the change after watching some tutorials and reading some threads on here
Some questions I'm looking to be answered;
  • Are my thumbnails eye catching?
  • Is it easy to tell what the video is about? (Even w/o the title)
  • How is my progress?
  • Any suggestions are welcome! :)

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Girrrrrrl! You really really improved your thumbnails! I didn’t know you could do all that with picmonkey! They are great. Definitely better than mine!

Reactions: Jamie Lee Bones

Victoria

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes! The ones that caught my eye the most were your DIY video, your "too many halloween costumes," your Buffy cover and your werewolf makeup tutorial. I think the text you use in those really pops out (especially the green neon and the bloody red for the werewolf one). I also really liked those because of the slightly tilted text, and the buffy one caught my eye because of how expressive your face is :p Also love that you have kind of a layered background in each thumbnail (I don't know if that makes sense, but like the music notes in your Musical.ly one).
Very easy! There's a good balance between the text and the items/images featured
  • How is my progress?
I think it's gonna keep getting better and better as you continue perfecting what you already have. I think the Thor thumbnail is a bit too crowded on the right side and I kind of glazed over it the first time. Same thing with your "swamp monster makeup," but because the font color was too dark/similar to the background color.

Your thumbnails are creative and I love how themed they are to each topic. Keep it up! You're already made a lot of progress fast. Hope this helps :)

Heizenblog

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I took a look at your channel and this is what i can tell you
They certainly are eye catching, the colors you use work really well, and the text is clear.
They are for me, the text tells me exactly what I need to know
  • How is my progress?
Progress is really good, I love your different expressions on each thumbnail.
  • Any suggestions are welcome! :)
I'm not sure I like the block capitals in your titles, to me it conveys shouting and aggression.

otherwise keep up the good work.

Jamie Lee Bones

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the text you use in those really pops out (especially the green neon and the bloody red for the werewolf one). I also really liked those because of the slightly tilted text, Also love that you have kind of a layered background in each thumbnail
This is so helpful! Part of me worried that the contrast in colors for those specific one's would hurt your eyes! But it's good to know those were the one's that popped out :) I'll also try some more tilting as well!

I think the Thor thumbnail is a bit too crowded on the right side and I kind of glazed over it the first time. Same thing with your "swamp monster makeup," but because the font color was too dark/similar to the background color.
This is also super helpful, thank you so much <3[DOUBLEPOST=1510497815,1510497712][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm not sure I like the block capitals in your titles, to me it conveys shouting and aggression.
That's good to know, I modeled my titles on some popular Youtubers I admire but I never thought of it coming off that way, I'll definitely play around with caps in the future. Thank you so much <3

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I liked a couple more than the others. first time using musically, & best friend tag. They all look professional but I think the old style ones also do. Newer ones are little better still. Some look a bit too much like gamers thumbnails i thought, where by they all have explosion of colour (date night) which can make non of them stand out. Reading this back i don't think my observations are that clear lol sorry.

Hmm best feature is that You are in al of them which makes your channel instantly recognisable

Anyway .. I know where to come when I need some unicorn glitter shoes :)