Sound quality...What kind of Mic/Software do you use???

ZactheRipper

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Hello,
I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a quality microphone or software... I started off with a snowball and my brother got me Neewer NW-1500, which to my surprise sounded a ton better... I have sound dampening recording area but my mic still sounds echo'ed I have tweaked settings, used equalizers, recorded audio separately in audacity and so much more.... Maybe its just my voice. I have a ton of recordings but always end up scrapping or rerecording because of quality. Does anyone have any tips on what worked for them?

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I personally use an old MXL 2006 studio condensor mic with a pop filter and shock mount. My recording is done in Audacity and in Audacity I normalize the track and apply a noise gate. Then in Sony Movie Studio I apply a plosive filter, make any volume adjustments, and call it a day. This system has worked pretty well for me so far.

Reactions: ZactheRipper

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're using it for commentary then a Blue Yeti can work. I would suggest looking into the Audio Technica microphones though. They always have satisfied me.

There's a lot of factors that go into audio quality. But if you have a treated room, and still getting echos, maybe invest in "Bass Traps" to put in the corners of your room.

Also what level is your microphone set at? The higher the level, the more it'll pick up. Also distance from the mic?

ZactheRipper

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Normalize and apply noise gate. Check. Thank you for your feedback I am new to the audio world and Im learning on the fly. I figured I had just got some worthless hardware... turns out Its just a I d 10 t error lol Thanks again.[DOUBLEPOST=1482443341,1482443104][/DOUBLEPOST]Thank you smielz. I tried playing with the boosts and capture volumes Im sitting at 100 volume and +10 db. I have found that anything lower than +10 some of my games drown out my voice ( usually games that are quiet then get loud at points) and anything higher you can hear a pin drop. I have realized 90 percent of video editing for me has been audio problems and still cant seem to get it right.

Mello Fello's

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Learn to embrace the imperfections. Sometimes things you may seem as horrid others may see it as genuine. Obviously if you gave a truck horn blasting in the background every 13 seconds then yes.... Maybe scrap it.

But more ask yourself, is it really that bad???

Let penicillin be your inspiration; a mistake that saved millions of lives.

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Normalize and apply noise gate. Check. Thank you for your feedback I am new to the audio world and Im learning on the fly. I figured I had just got some worthless hardware... turns out Its just a I d 10 t error lol Thanks again.[DOUBLEPOST=1482443341,1482443104][/DOUBLEPOST]Thank you smielz. I tried playing with the boosts and capture volumes Im sitting at 100 volume and +10 db. I have found that anything lower than +10 some of my games drown out my voice ( usually games that are quiet then get loud at points) and anything higher you can hear a pin drop. I have realized 90 percent of video editing for me has been audio problems and still cant seem to get it right.
It's always better to record lower and then raise the gain in editing. So if there is some parts of the game that are over power the vocal, you can apply a limiter to the game audio. This will limit the peaks it has.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Moved to the recording / editing / production forum. :)

Check out some of the other threads in this section, particularly the pinned threads.