Something Which Bothers Me...

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I usually go up to the Official YouTube Help Forum a couple of times a day, just to see what is happening. I'm occasionally able to answer some of the many questions asked by Creators who frequent that forum.

Lately I've noticed a couple of rather disturbing trends in postings; both of these are related to the current monetization delay.

The first, is a tendency for creators from India specifically to simply copy and paste from another post in order to ask their question. The particular post in question reads thusly...(I am reading in another window and typing out what I see.)

Post title: "why my monetization not enabled?" Please note the lack of proper title capitalization here.

Post body is usually: "Hi Youtube
....................My Channel has Crossed the limit of monetization activation but still my channel monetization is not enabled since some days.
Please solve this issue as soon as possible.
My Channel Link URL:-"

After which the post-copier's actual URL is pasted in. There are two things that are bothering me greatly about this post form. One of course is the copy/paste format itself. The other is how it is being handled by the TC's on the forum. Please take careful note of the fact that though I may be critical, this is by no means meant to be any form of hate speech against the TC cadre of the Help Forum; I believe they are doing the best job they think they can, in a flood of posts which goes on minute by minute.

The mods and TCs seem to be simply duplicating the posts to the main Monetization Status Update thread, without checking the URLs provided in their hurry to get to the next post. If they did check, they could possibly stop at least half of these people from posting a second time for one simple reason.

Fully 2/3rds of these posts are being done by channel owners supplying ineligible URLs! And by ineligible, I mean channels with either less than 1000 subscribers, less than 4000 watch time hours in the last 365 days, or both of the above. In at least two cases, I've found that the complaining channel owner had 0 subs and 0 videos.

The second thing is the sense of "entitlement to monetization" which seems to be prevalent today. Why can't someone just pin a post which explains that reaching review threshold is not a concrete gaurantee of channel monetization; and that there are circumstances under which monetization can and will be denied (and name those circumstances)? That would go a long way towards stopping the ceaseless flood of "My Channel Still Isn't Monetized" complaints.

Though no one here can change what happens over there, I'd love to see some discussion of these points; especially as I know there are a couple of Help Forum TCs who frequent this forum as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: videoeditgr

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not sure what it's like modding threads over there, but modding YTtalk can get really rough at times... Summer is coming and the mods are probably swamped over there. :eek:

I'm glad we have rules sticked all over the place saying it's a big "No-no" to copy/paste threads and replies. In the past, I know I've spent many hours deleting the same thread that's been posted in every sub-forum lol... Things have died down a lot since those days, but I feel like I can relate to their pain. A lot of their mod's actions depend on what the forum rules are over there, and they might not have a rule about copy/paste threads being deleted or locked like we have.

It would be good if they sticked threads with basic info (or at least links to their Google Support site), but in my experience, a lot of people don't read stickied threads -- especially if English isn't their native language. Sticked threads help a lot of people, but there are always those members who join to ask a specific question, only to then immediately disappear into the Internet Abyss.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
eh not exactly an Abyss, I have this picture of a large city with huge differences and inequalitys like rio de janeiro kind of thing.

Anyway, answering to the original post, TC's are good people, willing to help but as you say

In at least two cases, I've found that the complaining channel owner had 0 subs and 0 videos
how many times will you think "what a waste of tiime" before quiting or offering less of your time to help unknown people that are bored even to fill details or even google and read the answer to their question or problem? Time is precious, I am simply parsimonious with my time and not shamed of that, there would be no way to ask or offer moderation anywhere. Also this might explain why people

seem to be simply duplicating the posts to the main Monetization Status Update thread,
Being honest all questions (except "how can I succeed in Youtube") are answered somewhere in forums or in huge YTHelp database or misc places on the web.
People just want money, fast easy money from Youtube and that is not anyones problem but theirs.
There is a large noumber of people that confuse Youtube monetization and kind of social services pension I believe...

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@videoeditgr Indeed, indeed. In fact, I eventually unsubscribe from that forum when things get "too dense and/or stupid" for me, and look in from outside for a few months each year.

If things ease off, I come back. I think now is a very good time to take a vacation from that forum. I'll look in at the beginning of July; as I think this is when the wailing of "Why Was My Monetization Denied?" will start, and with a vengeance.

Some of the mods don't even have the courage to do what YT itself is refusing to do. The YouTube Monetization Team is stooping to calling blatant copyright infringement "Duplication"; at least until you get to the "Learn more" link which clearly states "In most cases, it's not ok to upload media which belongs to someone else". A much clearer (but longer in text) way of explanation would be...

"If you record from broadcast TV and edit that recording to create a YouTube upload, you violate copyright. If you shoot a sports event or concert with your mobile phone without the permission of the team owners or record label, you violate copyright. YouTube's Terms Of Service doesn't allow videos which are not your own to be downloaded; so if you download popular YouTube videos against our Terms Of Service and upload them to your channel, you violate copyright. Copyright violation isn't allowed by YouTube; and will cause you to be denied monetization, or cause your channel to be terminated."

I honestly don't know why they can't just spell it out clearly and be done with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: videoeditgr

Wakanda

Reaction score
For many creators like me whose English is not their first language, soaking in Youtube terms and conditions is not that easy. And I personally have high fluency in both written and spoken English probably much better than many from English speaking nations.

Then there is the bit about instructions. Maybe it is human nature to avoid the ‘boring’ stuff like terms and conditions and jump in. Don’t be too quick to judge.

Very finally,youtube has not done enough to announce the new monetization rules. Did they send emails,or they just made a blog post? This is something that seems embarrassing to them in some way.

The other bit about the forum is that the responses are poorly arranged and thus easy to miss

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Then there is the bit about instructions. Maybe it is human nature to avoid the ‘boring’ stuff like terms and conditions and jump in. Don’t be too quick to judge.
If that is 'human nature', then it is to the detriment of the human in question.
Very finally,youtube has not done enough to announce the new monetization rules. Did they send emails,or they just made a blog post? This is something that seems embarrassing to them in some way.
BS. YouTube did indeed send out emails announcing the change in rules. The only creators who didn't either get these or see these are: 1. People who deliberately opted out of service announcements from YouTube 2. People who did indeed opt in for service announcement emails; but didn't whitelist them so that they went to their "junk" or "spam" folder.

They also posted the announcement to both the YouTube Creators Channel and the YouTube Help Channel. So there were four separate ways to access this information.
The other bit about the forum is that the responses are poorly arranged and thus easy to miss
This is what the pinned post section addresses many times; however posters want to believe in many cases, that reposting the same question will generate a different response. The TCs and mods are beginning to tire of this; and the end result will be people being banned for spamming the forum.
For many creators like me whose English is not their first language, soaking in Youtube terms and conditions is not that easy. And I personally have high fluency in both written and spoken English probably much better than many from English speaking nations.
This is why YouTube has spawned local versions of its site in the native languages of the locales. Those who are users of these local YouTube sites receive YouTube's announcements and updates of their account status in their native language; also the Terms Of Service and Community Guidelines would be in the native tongue. I know this because I've seen screen shots of such on the Official Help Forum.

And finally, failing to read and understand rules is never an exemption from the consequences of failing to obey same. Ask any policeman if you don't believe me.

Any more excuses you wish to present?

Last edited:
Reactions: The BBQ Chef

Wakanda

Reaction score
If that is 'human nature', then it is to the detriment of the human in question.

BS. YouTube did indeed send out emails announcing the change in rules. The only creators who didn't either get these or see these are: 1. People who deliberately opted out of service announcements from YouTube 2. People who did indeed opt in for service announcement emails; but didn't whitelist them so that they went to their "junk" or "spam" folder.

They also posted the announcement to both the YouTube Creators Channel and the YouTube Help Channel. So there were four separate ways to access this information.

This is what the pinned post section addresses many times; however posters want to believe in many cases, that reposting the same question will generate a different response. The TCs and mods are beginning to tire of this; and the end result will be people being banned for spamming the forum.

This is why YouTube has spawned local versions of its site in the native languages of the locales. Those who are users of these local YouTube sites receive YouTube's announcements and updates of their account status in their native language; also the Terms Of Service and Community Guidelines would be in the native tongue. I know this because I've seen screen shots of such on the Official Help Forum.

And finally, failing to read and understand rules is never an exemption from the consequences of failing to obey same. Ask any policeman if you don't believe me.

Any more excuses you wish to present?
Yeah right

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I stopped posting replies on the Help Forum 3 days ago. The day after, the level of desperation where channel monetization was concerned became even more apparent.

I have no idea how this one started; but now channel owners who have channels founded between 2012 and 2016, are coming to the official forum with claims that since their channel was founded in this time range slot (with the most common claims being for channels founded in 2014) and the new rules were stated in Jan of 2018, these new rules don't apply to their channels.

These channel owners then demand (couched in an only semi-polite way) that their channels be immediately re-monetized. Again these are mainly channel owners for whom English is a second language.

At this point, I'm throwing up my hands and walking away from the whole question until July.
Yeah right
Go and search YouTube for the Help and Creator Channel videos I mentioned instead of immediately assuming I am making things up. Here, I will give you the email I received on one of my lesser channels as well, and if you are so sure I am making this up, you can go to the Help Forum yourself to see the screen shots, or look up a YouTube local site on Google to see the language localization for yourself.

"

TranceMistressLynne,
Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognize we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.
LEARN MORE
What's Changing
Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, TranceMistressLynne, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.
LEARN MORE
The YouTube Team"

This email was sent on Jan 17th the day before the new rules went into effect. The "Learn More", was a link to an actual YouTube Help Page outlining the new YPP Eligibility rules. There was in fact also a video embed from the Creators Channel with the video I spoke of; but as I haven't activated VIP I had to take it out. There was another email sent Feb 21st, confirming the decision, as I didn't reach review threshold in time with that channel.

Last edited:

Wakanda

Reaction score
I stopped posting replies on the Help Forum 3 days ago. The day after, the level of desperation where channel monetization was concerned became even more apparent.

I have no idea how this one started; but now channel owners who have channels founded between 2012 and 2016, are coming to the official forum with claims that since their channel was founded in this time range slot (with the most common claims being for channels founded in 2014) and the new rules were stated in Jan of 2018, these new rules don't apply to their channels.

These channel owners then demand (couched in an only semi-polite way) that their channels be immediately re-monetized. Again these are mainly channel owners for whom English is a second language.

At this point, I'm throwing up my hands and walking away from the whole question until July.

Go and search YouTube for the Help and Creator Channel videos I mentioned instead of immediately assuming I am making things up. Here, I will give you the email I received on one of my lesser channels as well, and if you are so sure I am making this up, you can go to the Help Forum yourself to see the screen shots, or look up a YouTube local site on Google to see the language localization for yourself.

"

TranceMistressLynne,
Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognize we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.
LEARN MORE
What's Changing
Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, TranceMistressLynne, is no longer eligible for monetization because it doesn’t meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetization tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on February 20, 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetization will be re-enabled.
LEARN MORE
The YouTube Team"

This email was sent on Jan 17th the day before the new rules went into effect. The "Learn More", was a link to an actual YouTube Help Page outlining the new YPP Eligibility rules. There was in fact also a video embed from the Creators Channel with the video I spoke of; but as I haven't activated VIP I had to take it out. There was another email sent Feb 21st, confirming the decision, as I didn't reach review threshold in time with that channel.

Petty ‘observation’

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Petty ‘observation’
Not petty at all; a simple observation of how low people will sink and how much they will attempt to stretch the truth when what they want is denied them.

You attempted to counter my original 'observation' which began this thread with false accusations against YouTube Admin and empty and meritless 'apologies' for the ESL community on YouTube. You claim personal ESL fluency; but I sincerely doubt you will recognize the syntax of the word 'apology' in this case. I suggest you consult the works of Plato to find this semi-obscure definition and usage.

When I countered every accusation and apology you attempted with both logic and facts, all you could offer not once, but twice, was a snarky, weak and ineffectual two word riposte.

If you truly wish to learn the fine art of debate, you will need a much better grounding in logic, a willingness to seek out and verify facts, and above all, a cool head.

I am done here. Any further attempts at word-jousting will be summarily ignored; however, any valid replies will be evaluated and properly answered.

Last edited:
Reactions: The BBQ Chef