Someone reuploaded a video I deleted from my channel

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I uploaded a video last week that I then deleted a few days later because I wasn't happy with it yet.

Today I find out that someone downloaded my video and reuploaded it to their channel, passing it off as theirs.

The video is just graphics and sound effects; I am not in it and neither is my voice. The version that was stolen has over 30 hours work in it (easily, probably more).

I reported it and said it infringes my copyright, but I doubt anything can be done because I have no online proof that it's mine.

A word of warning to just private these kind of videos in future I guess.

Reactions: markkaz

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That sucks. I guess all I can say is "You've made it". I have had it happen to me before with photos etc.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good lesson learned. Don't delete videos; just make them private so that you still have the date/record for copyright claimes.

Reactions: Crown

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm just getting started and someone tried to copyright me.... but I won the appeal. I was begin copyrighted by abc but it was just a video of me talking.

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I suppose youtube can track videos that have been online and then deleted. Probably they have some kind of backup of those videos. So ask them to check that you have been posted that video but later deleted it. I am sure they can find it. The only question is, will they bother to do it. If they don`t help you, you can always message that channel and bluff that you can make his channel be suspended because he stole your video and if he got scared he will delete it :)

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks people for your replies and concern.

I suppose youtube can track videos that have been online and then deleted. Probably they have some kind of backup of those videos. So ask them to check that you have been posted that video but later deleted it. I am sure they can find it. The only question is, will they bother to do it. If they don`t help you, you can always message that channel and bluff that you can make his channel be suspended because he stole your video and if he got scared he will delete it :)
I certainly hope so. Unfortunately when I reported it, there was no room for any notes. You literally can only fill in titles, links and personal/channel details. But I sneaked in a note in what was meant to be a title field, not sure if this was a clever move or not.

Good lesson learned. Don't delete videos; just make them private so that you still have the date/record for copyright claimes.
Yep. I like the neatness of a deleted video (don't have to look at it in my video manager), but my ocd tendencies may have to be put aside.

Reactions: markkaz

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I uploaded a video last week that I then deleted a few days later because I wasn't happy with it yet.

Today I find out that someone downloaded my video and reuploaded it to their channel, passing it off as theirs.

The video is just graphics and sound effects; I am not in it and neither is my voice. The version that was stolen has over 30 hours work in it (easily, probably more).

I reported it and said it infringes my copyright, but I doubt anything can be done because I have no online proof that it's mine.

A word of warning to just private these kind of videos in future I guess.

Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

Do you still have the video id of the original upload? Even though, the video is no longer on your channel, it could help YT process your claim. Good luck.

P14

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think videos are deleted forever, for protection against hackers that manage to break into your channel. Nevertheless this is unfortunate, you can try flagging the channel assuming all of it's content is stolen from somewhere.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
If it was me I'd make another video with the exact same title calling out the channel for stealing my video. Since it's the same exact title, etc, there is a good chance that it will show up in Suggested Videos alongside the video.

Andrewcu

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

Do you still have the video id of the original upload? Even though, the video is no longer on your channel, it could help YT process your claim. Good luck.
Yep. I've got it. I've decided to email them all the details.

If it was me I'd make another video with the exact same title calling out the channel for stealing my video. Since it's the same exact title, etc, there is a good chance that it will show up in Suggested Videos alongside the video.
Good idea, but it's a kid's animation channel (not the one linked to my profile), I don't think many of my viewers/their viewers will care.

-- Update --

This is the response I got:

We require a more detailed description of your copyrighted work. The content will remain live on YouTube until you have provided us with this information.

We encourage you to provide whatever specifics you feel will be most useful. Information such as the title of the work, the type of work, its author’s name, the date of creation of the work, a copyright registration number (if the work is registered), and/or the specific timestamps at which your work appears in the video in question will greatly assist us in processing your request.

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

- The YouTube Team

The email provided no way to do this! I found a YouTube support form which I'll try.