Someone has same youtube channel name I do but I own the domain name...

Tropical

Reaction score
About 10 yrs ago I created a youtube channel but it I got hacked... I lost it. I just went to recreate the channel but noticed someone else is already using the channel name since 2 years ago. I just recently registered the domain name. So sorry I know this has been asked before... but does it make a difference that I own the actual domain name?

The youtuber I'm referring to has less than 12 subscribers and they haven't been active for an entire year... but I don't feel comfortable recreating a new youtube channel using the name I was because now someone else is using it.... except I own the domain name.

Does this matter?

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:

iGuys

Reaction score
Personally I don't think it matters that they have that name especially since they are inactive with only 12 subscribers. It would be different if it was a bigger YouTuber that was still active. You shouldn't have anything to worry about and should continue using that name

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
People use the same names all the time. It's why you can a verified check mark next to your name when you get big enough. Besides, you were the first one to have it, so I think morally it would be fine.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
domain names don't give you any legal rights

Tropical

Reaction score
"domain names don't give you any legal rights"

Sorry but this is false in certain aspects. For example I know trademarks can't be used AFTER THE FACT to take away your existing domain. A common law trademark is valid for the FIRST person to use a mark in commerce - in the class they are using it.... this person is legally protected from it if they own and are actually using the domain name for their business.

Last edited: