Someone asking for donations on their patreon, on my youtube channel!

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So someone commented on my video, with some of the info removed
'Hey, AmberAndGolden! I love your video! Keep it up. :) I want to start making YouTube videos soon, too. It would be so great if you could support me with a dollar to get things started because I need equipment for my videos. There's no need to feel bad if you can't, I still think you're great and I wish you the best for you and your channel.' ect, including links to his patreon and his name

At first I was like, Fair enough, advertising on someone elses channel... but asking for me to give you money to start a channel, which the rest of us just start of our own accord with the equipment we have on hand off our own backs, seems a little odd to me..
This person already has a number of backerswhich I can't view nor can I view the post he has made to patreon or how much money he is getting, but... who knows..

What do you guys think of this?

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah just spam. If the comment has nothing to do with the video you made even with nice words like "great video" "Awesome video I like it" then yeah, spam. Never seen them advertise their patreon though. Kinda freaky!

sledrunner31

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That is rather brazen but I guess thats normal for spammers. I get some weird messages seconds after I upload a video, usually some fake account with a picture of a girl saying some weird crap. Easy to ignore.

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
youtube usually detects this as spam. usually the channels that do this have 1k subs or something and no videos. don't do it. I just got it on my most recent video and although I know it is spam I was going to leave it to add more comments, as my audience isn't stupid. :p

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yeah just spam. If the comment has nothing to do with the video you made even with nice words like "great video" "Awesome video I like it" then yeah, spam. Never seen them advertise their patreon though. Kinda freaky!
This is the first time I've seen it, Thats why I felt the need to post this thread! It is freaky indeed, 99% of me just thinks it's a scam, 1% of me thinks its someone being hella lazy and stupid[DOUBLEPOST=1499297072,1499297030][/DOUBLEPOST]
youtube usually detects this as spam. usually the channels that do this have 1k subs or something and no videos. don't do it. I just got it on my most recent video and although I know it is spam I was going to leave it to add more comments, as my audience isn't stupid. :p
I've thought about doing that, but I haaatee seeing a cluttered comments section, since I get like...1, maybe 2 comments on my videos (sometimes none) a spam comment sticks out like a sore thumb!

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen it, Thats why I felt the need to post this thread! It is freaky indeed, 99% of me just thinks it's a scam, 1% of me thinks its someone being hella lazy and stupid[DOUBLEPOST=1499297072,1499297030][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've thought about doing that, but I haaatee seeing a cluttered comments section, since I get like...1, maybe 2 comments on my videos (sometimes none) a spam comment sticks out like a sore thumb!

I get you and made that mistake in my first video which was an interview. Both comments seemed like spam even though they are very subtle, 'awesome video'. However, now my videos average like 6 comments per video so I just throw it in because they get lost anyway.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I definitely feel like that comment you received is spam as well. True fans won't ask for anything from you and would only support you the entire way. I think we've all had similar comments along the lines of, "Hey (Insert Channel Name Here)! I loved your video. Anyways my name is Mark and I make similar videos. I subbed to you so be sure to come hit the subscribe button on my channel as well. You know I'd appreciate it and keep up the good work. =]" And we all hate those comments. So I wouldn't feel bad if I were you and you just deleted it right out of that spam folder.