Some YouTube Help Needed...

AuthenticFINN

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone! It's been a while... Life has been hectic.

Anyway, I'm starting YouTube. There is just one small problem (maybe?) that I'm concerned about.

I don't want to show my face. Yes, a lot of YouTubers do that, but here's the main problem.

I want to make song covers, and having a face is a staple of that particular video type.

I was thinking of still having a video with me, but blurring out my face while singing, or something along those lines. But I was wondering what your thoughts on it are? Or if you have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Reactions: videoeditgr

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You'll notice good youtubers learn their watchers drop off when then face dissapears from shot so if they are zooming in on something else of interest (scenery, or closeup of a product etc) they will have a cut out view of their face top left or right for better watchtime retention. Showing your face also helps the audience connect more and helps gain an emotional repsonce/ connection which get you many many more likes. shares. subs imo. I dont show my face in my desktop reviews as I choose not but at my dissadvantage i undersatnd and accept. Your idea of blurring your face is really bad i htink. You gott go one way or the other. sor spellin in a rush

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
There's a PC software called FaceRig that animates characters' faces based on your face. It tracks it through the webcam and it's well done I got to say, mabe you can give it a try and see if it suits you. Of course, you will also need to create a good avatar for your channel!

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Although showing your face helps I don't think is necessary or obligatory to do to grow on YouTube
I'm a gaming channel that doesn't show his face and I've been growing since I started the channel, 6300 subs in 6 months and 800K channel views. More proof is other channels covering the same game I do... they went from 10K subs to 100k without showing their face or even talking.

As UhoohExtra mentioned, blurring your face is a terrible idea... you need to go all the way and embrace it or just don't do it. I use characters/memes to show emotion on my videos.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
No blurring, you are not a criminal! either a ...protected witness!!!

You can zoom totally in to face details, mouth, eyes, smile or even hand gestures keeping the rythm, foot rythm also, you can collaborate with a person that knows the deaf people hand gestures and learn some of this language, you can do sing with your back in camera and from a mirror to reflect your image (ok, kind of blurred if out of focus) you can even create a hype on who your are by hiding your face somehow. You can put a mask, fake long hair,... ok, lots of ideas not all of them good but you can be creative and hide your face while showing it!

PS: repair your playlists list. All of them appear with deleted videos...:D

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally think that blurring your face isn’t a good idea, your viewers might find it a bit odd or scary. If you can’t show your face maybe try animating a character and then add the song to it.

Reactions: AuthenticFINN

AuthenticFINN

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you, everyone, for the help and advice!

I think I'm going to opt for no face at all. No me. It's probably for the best that way.

I hope the route I'm going down now holds me for a little while, and, hopefully, I can gain some confidence along the way.

Thanks again!

Reactions: videoeditgr

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you can do what many musicians did in the old days and wear something to hide your real self. something like a wig, a mask or be very creative with how you edit the video by showing only your body.

Reactions: Courtney Candice

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I was going to say you could wear a mask. ^_^ Or if you are holding an instrument, you could just focus the camera on that, instead of showing your face. :) I wouldn't blur out your face unless it accidentally was briefly in the frame somehow. I think faceless videos can add a lot of intrigue since a lot of people will wonder who the person is.