Some videos being suggested only by one or two other videos

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok, so.. I have ALWAYS heard it just takes one video to get suggested in order for your channel to take off.. well for me.. that is so wrong! I have had a few videos sorta take off, but only being suggested by one maybe two other videos.. so to me it seems you have to have like 100 other videos suggesting your one video for you to even grow somewhat bigger.. is anyone else experiencing this? I have a huge jump in views then a week later.. it's way down again.. I mean the videos are still being suggested..but.. ugh..just feeling really frustrated!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Mommy B

Reactions: Smurfson

ProfessionalRik

Gaming Culture's Icon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have honestly tried offering advice to children based channels and haven't always succeeded. I can safely say, though, that it definitely does seem to be a difficult niche to conquer.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have honestly tried offering advice to children based channels and haven't always succeeded. I can safely say, though, that it definitely does seem to be a difficult niche to conquer.
Yes, it;s a super fun one, but gee.. it's super hard..

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok, so.. I have ALWAYS heard it just takes one video to get suggested in order for your channel to take off.. well for me.. that is so wrong! I have had a few videos sorta take off, but only being suggested by one maybe two other videos.. so to me it seems you have to have like 100 other videos suggesting your one video for you to even grow somewhat bigger.. is anyone else experiencing this? I have a huge jump in views then a week later.. it's way down again.. I mean the videos are still being suggested..but.. ugh..just feeling really frustrated!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Mommy B
No not really, in my experience it tries out a few and if you do good it will give you more views. On most of my videos, it's usually one other video (from another channel) that drives the views coming in and only if that is not providing enough traffic to the liking of the algorythm it gives you a second or new one. The key thing is to deliver on the slots you do get, if you don't you derank and that aint good.
There's also a limiting factor, no matter if I reach first slot on someone elses video, youtube throttles still, capping the views you get at certain limits. Do well and they will upgrade you to the next tier, bringing some more views or from better channels.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No not really, in my experience it tries out a few and if you do good it will give you more views. On most of my videos, it's usually one other video (from another channel) that drives the views coming in and only if that is not providing enough traffic to the liking of the algorythm it gives you a second or new one. The key thing is to deliver on the slots you do get, if you don't you derank and that aint good.
There's also a limiting factor, no matter if I reach first slot on someone elses video, youtube throttles still, capping the views you get at certain limits. Do well and they will upgrade you to the next tier, bringing some more views or from better channels.
Sorry must be my mom/no sleep brain haha..

Deliver on the slots? You mean make sure my video is good? The ones being suggested? I know this time around has been insane from what we are used to.. we are still getting killer views (well to us as a very small channel) So, I think, I did well last time, because this time has been greater...

Did you all start like this? A few suggested videos then more?

Thanks!!

Reactions: Graha Muhammad

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry must be my mom/no sleep brain haha..

Deliver on the slots? You mean make sure my video is good? The ones being suggested? I know this time around has been insane from what we are used to.. we are still getting killer views (well to us as a very small channel) So, I think, I did well last time, because this time has been greater...

Did you all start like this? A few suggested videos then more?

Thanks!!
Yup, deliver on the slots meaning delivering on you getting suggested slots on other videos. If you get better and better that's a good thing! You can check how other channels gained the traffic on social blade. If you check the dates on the spikes you can also check their channel at that time what delivered it for them and how they got it going.

For me it was one video that kicked it off, a gateway video as they call it. It still brings in quite a nice amount of views 4 months later! First thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and now already gathered 2,5 million views.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I find that it's really a game of chance.
A video I made on Comic Con reached over 10,000 views not only because it was uploaded at a time when people would actively be searching for it, but it was also suggested by other videos that had fared just as well and usually much better. So, in that instance, I got lucky.

I think checking out the SEO of the other videos that are dominating your particular niche could give you a clearer insight into what might be working for them, but there's no guarantees! YouTube, ultimately, remains a great mystery.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yup, deliver on the slots meaning delivering on you getting suggested slots on other videos. If you get better and better that's a good thing! You can check how other channels gained the traffic on social blade. If you check the dates on the spikes you can also check their channel at that time what delivered it for them and how they got it going.

For me it was one video that kicked it off, a gateway video as they call it. It still brings in quite a nice amount of views 4 months later! First thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and now already gathered 2,5 million views.
Oh awesome! I will have to do that and check some out!

Wow that's super cool! I am hoping the one I posted 5 days ago is my gateway video haha.. over 50 thousand views to date and we are making more like it in hope that we can build more views as a whole... I'm assuming that is what other channels do.. see one take off then make more like it.

Thanks so much!

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is generally one video that get things rolling. But it depends where it gets suggested - the channel tier and the position on the right sidebar. then it depends on performance.
If we take RTR's example, their giant egg disney cars video got suggested on a top tier 1M+ channel. That drove insane traffic, insane subs, and RTR's video "delivered" at mentioned above. The algo had confidence to suggest their other videos.
Sort of the same for our hello kittty giant egg - it got suggested on ToysAndMe (1M+ channel) in first position for their 'bashing giant hello kitty" video, and that drove high traffic and subs. With proper cards/end screens/playlists setup, those viewers are driven to more of your channel.
That's the viral/gateway video way of growing. It's hard to do, and a lot of luck is involved.
The other way is to do staged growth. Not aim for viral hits, but aim for steady improving growth across a number of related videos in a playlist targeting a popular concept. I think you do that on your other channel already.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is generally one video that get things rolling. But it depends where it gets suggested - the channel tier and the position on the right sidebar. then it depends on performance.
If we take RTR's example, their giant egg disney cars video got suggested on a top tier 1M+ channel. That drove insane traffic, insane subs, and RTR's video "delivered" at mentioned above. The algo had confidence to suggest their other videos.
Sort of the same for our hello kittty giant egg - it got suggested on ToysAndMe (1M+ channel) in first position for their 'bashing giant hello kitty" video, and that drove high traffic and subs. With proper cards/end screens/playlists setup, those viewers are driven to more of your channel.
That's the viral/gateway video way of growing. It's hard to do, and a lot of luck is involved.
The other way is to do staged growth. Not aim for viral hits, but aim for steady improving growth across a number of related videos in a playlist targeting a popular concept. I think you do that on your other channel already.
Blah, luck haha Well at least things make more since now. Thanks so much for explaining it all! The video that is driving in the traffic now is being suggested by a 500K+channel plus a few other 100K channels that are starting to suggest it as well..my video is currently in the 1st slot and my video has the best retention that I have seen out of all of my videos. We do have quite a few playlists and I see a lot of the traffic hitting those large playlists because of cards/end screens. Hopefully this will be my breakthrough/gateway video and luck has struck me as well :)

Thanks as always for your wise words![DOUBLEPOST=1494549477,1494549349][/DOUBLEPOST]
I find that it's really a game of chance.
A video I made on Comic Con reached over 10,000 views not only because it was uploaded at a time when people would actively be searching for it, but it was also suggested by other videos that had fared just as well and usually much better. So, in that instance, I got lucky.

I think checking out the SEO of the other videos that are dominating your particular niche could give you a clearer insight into what might be working for them, but there's no guarantees! YouTube, ultimately, remains a great mystery.
Yes it is! Yes, I need to research the SEO some more.. I know.. darn YouTube Algro!