Some Questions About Monetization

ArtOrAut

I've Got It
Reaction score
So, this little adventure began when I decided to take a closer look at the details relating to video monetization; in essense, I wanted to find out just what the view/coin ratio was, in part because it seemed that the latter was climbing disproportionately to the former, and I wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong- missed some crucial step. So sue me, I'm really poor and even a few extra bucks would be nice. =P

A friend of mine had supposedly heard the arbitrary rate of something like two dollars and fifty cents per thousand views, and the numbers just weren't adding up. At first I thought it was due to the discovery that only some view methods supported ads, and therefore monetization, but when I started delving deeper into the Analytics page, more specifically Ad Performance, a whole BUNCHA new questions popped up.

First, most of my videos don't have any registered data for ad performance- the usual error message pops up for them. Usually this just happens when a new video has yet to work its way through the system, but this error registers for some of my oldest videos too; there seems to be no pattern I can see to explain it. One of the videos that does work has only, like, ten views, another was released several days after a few of the non-fuctioning ones, and all are of different topics. My Monetization option for these non-functional videos is still enabled, and Youtube hasn't sent me any warnings or notices of copyright violation... not sure how they could, since I just use my voice, a black background and white captions. =P In addition, even the videos with no revenue linked still play ads!

I suppose the first two questions therefore are 1) If my videos have broken some rule, and therefore won't be monetized, will Youtube inform me? And 2) Could it just be that somehow the records has random holes in it, and eventually these will somehow kick in?

Most importantly, can someone explain what cosmic monkey determined the Cost Per Mile rate? xD And no, I don't mean I'm asking for insider tips about how to make De Big Bucks; I'm still going to talk about whatever I please. It's just that this rate seems massive in variation, because one of my videos is only set to make around forty-seven cents per thousand ad views... and the other end of the scale has a video making twenty DOLLARS per same number. And that one has less views!!

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just 'You shouldn't talk about this stuff.' x.x

ViciousCritic

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
There is no fixed CPM. A lot of factors affect it, including category & keywords, demand, probably ratings subs, the viewer's demographics, recent searches etc. I can't speak to YouTube earnings, but I also have my web series on Blip.tv. My average RPM there is 2.36, but it really varies a lot in the daily breakdown, where it may show anywhere from 1.66 to 5.46 for a given day.

YouTube will notify you if you post something that cannot be monetized either because of copyright issues or the content is not appropriate for advertisers. I have gotten one such (erroneous) message, which I disputed. Responses take forever, if ever.

John Lock

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is no fixed CPM. A lot of factors affect it, including category & keywords, demand, probably ratings subs, the viewer's demographics, recent searches etc. I can't speak to YouTube earnings, but I also have my web series on Blip.tv. My average RPM there is 2.36, but it really varies a lot in the daily breakdown, where it may show anywhere from 1.66 to 5.46 for a given day.

YouTube will notify you if you post something that cannot be monetized either because of copyright issues or the content is not appropriate for advertisers. I have gotten one such (erroneous) message, which I disputed. Responses take forever, if ever.
The only detail missing is the Value is also based on where you are in the world and the times zones for the videos.

ArtOrAut

I've Got It
Reaction score
All right, thank you both. n.n I'll just wait and see, then. x3

Sanuku

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
No offense but there is something wrong with our current society when someone opens up an YouTube Channel and start to scrutinize the Payment System of YouTube while the Channel isn`t even two Weeks old. Did this hole YouTube Movement really turned into an I`m just doing it because of the Money?

As already said above there are a lot of things that have to work out in the End so that you get that result your Friend has heard of. Good Luck since it`s a hard Way till then.

ArtOrAut

I've Got It
Reaction score
With all due respect, if I was looking to make a quick buck, I'd probably have chosen something a little more likely to be profitable than trying to get a single series of videos noticed amidst ten million other people, all clamouring to similarly have their own videos noticed amidst the sea of media. Standing on a street corner with a cardboard sign, for example, or washing windshields. I know fully well that for anyone who does even reasonably well with their videos, there are thousands of others lost to obscurity, and frankly, those odds suck if I were just doing this to get a big house on the prairie.

So dreams of YouTube riches and women didn't send me shiny-eyed and wandering down here, especially given I could have found PLENTY of topics to boost my income... like ranting about some YouTube celebrity I know nothing about, and letting all his irate fans bump my view count. The only person I've ranted about so far has been one small little Comments troll who, essentially, was annoying me. Accuse me, then, of being a vindictive fiend.

Would I like to make money doing this? Yes, I'll admit that up front; anyone who bothers turning on the monetization option to begin with would certainly like to, and from what I understand, large parts of being partnered in the first place have to do with, say, permission to make an income on gaming Let's Plays, increasing membership and views, etc, and there's this is an entire forum section devoted to that.

But given I have, as you've so graciously mentioned, only been here for two weeks, I'm pretty much floating in a big pile of stuff I've never had to deal with, many involving graphs and charts, most of which confuses me beyond measure, everything updating sluggishly or not at all so I'm getting two or three different sets of numbers for the same video, and I simply don't like quietly twiddling my thumbs in the corner and hoping everything's going to just fix itself. If there's some sort of mistake I am making, either in my content or my account setup, I would rather know about it right away, before things go any further. That's why I asked these questions, and frankly I'm not sure how the words 'No Offense' was supposed to diffuse everything that came after that.

ViciousCritic

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
There is nothing wrong with dreams of success or riches on YouTube or anywhere else. Just ignore his comment and keep doing your thing.
P.S. I think you have a nice voice that would be well suited to do stuff like Katy Towell's.

ArtOrAut

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks. ^_^; Sorry to get a little ranty. x.X

And that's awesome. Now I just need to learn to animate. ...or at least draw. .__. I'll admit my use of voice and captions is due more to the fact that I have the artistic skill and temperament of tree moss.

Sanuku

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With all due respect, if I was looking to make a quick buck, I'd probably have chosen something a little more likely to be profitable than trying to get a single series of videos noticed amidst ten million other people, all clamouring to similarly have their own videos noticed amidst the sea of media.
I never said that you were looking to make a quick buck. It wouldn`t make any sense to questioning your financial reasons to start up an YouTube Channel at all since it`s none of my business.

Ready again what I did wrote:
No offense but there is something wrong with our current society when someone opens up an YouTube Channel and start to scrutinize the Payment System of YouTube while the Channel isn`t even two Weeks old.
Shouldn`t you first focus on your Content before you even start to scrutinize the Earning/Payment System? Again - Don`t take it the wrong Way but same as an top athlete you should focus on your base which is your Content instead of the Monetizing itself.

Overall besides the Ad Performance Report Help Files you definitely should take a closer look at those of Adsense itself too since they explain a lot and will for sure help you to optimize your earnings over the time but in practice you currently won`t be able to see any Changes at all if you don`t have enough Content and enough Views on a regular Base.

ArtOrAut

I've Got It
Reaction score
Fair enough. ^_^ Thanks very much for the link; it's very helpful to wrapping my head around all this stuff.