Some company claimed my video and even though nothing in it belonged to them

Leishua

Reaction score
So i found out one of my videos has just been claimed by Viacom they claimed i used movie clips of the ring in it but the only clip i used was from south park. Initially the claimed south park which i found is fair and now they took the whole meme video down using a claim via The Ring. Can i dispute this? This is a false claim but there doesn't seem to be any option to select saying they have wrongly claimed my video.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If you can prove that you have the full legal rights to use all of the footage in your video, you can file a counterclaim.

If you don't, you can't- even if they're not the rightful owners either.

Reactions: Farley Productions

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
If you can prove that you have the full legal rights to use all of the footage in your video, you can file a counterclaim.

If you don't, you can't- even if they're not the rightful owners either.
Couldn't agree more with what they said.
Although I would like to add one thing here. "Meme videos" and "Review(s)" fall into different categories. So if your video in question is not within "Fair Use" (which even then is quite the gray line) then I wouldn't try disputing the claim unless you are 100% sure that you are okay in using said footage. Whether or not they have the rights to the clip at question.

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
maybe those emails don't belong to a company, they belong to some individual. some guys try to cheat on copyright claim with the aim of making money from you :)

Reactions: Farley Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I live streamed a video which had a choir sing a bit of a "Salve Regina", it was claimed as some greek song. Salve Regina is in the public domain, having been created in or before the middle ages. I did register a dispute because it's so obvious that it's not the same song. This is a link to the greek song: https://www.deezer.com/en/track/471871092

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I live streamed a video which had a choir sing a bit of a "Salve Regina", it was claimed as some greek song. Salve Regina is in the public domain, having been created in or before the middle ages.
The song may have been created in or before the Middle Ages, but the recording of the one you used certainly was not. Did you perform it yourself or do you have all of the proper permissions to use it?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The song may have been created in or before the Middle Ages, but the recording of the one you used certainly was not. Did you perform it yourself or do you have all of the proper permissions to use it?
It's not from a recording. It was a LIVE choir singing (voices only) "Salve Regina". Nobody needs permissions to "Salve Regina" which is in the public domain and it was not flagged as "Salve Regina" but some modern pop song which it is not.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
It's not from a recording. It was a LIVE choir singing (voices only) "Salve Regina". Nobody needs permissions to "Salve Regina" which is in the public domain and it was not flagged as "Salve Regina" but some modern pop song which it is not.

There are (at least) 2 copyrights on every piece of performed work. The original composition which, in this case, is a few centuries old and is long in the public domain and one on the performance... the choir who sang.

In order to post and use the song in your video, you would need to be able to prove you had the necessary permissions from the choir to do so.

If you do not, it doesn't matter that the song is being claimed as something it isn't.