[SOLVED] Photoshop CS6 Bevel

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Solved: After 2hrs of trying to fiddle around I found the setting to get the effect I wanted was under the 'gloss contour' setting.

I'm trying to apply a hard chisel/bevel like effect surrounding text like you see here: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140108002046/voiceacting/images/a/ac/Gta4.png
primarily looking at the "IV" but the problem is Photoshop only allows me to apply the bevel at 1 specific angle at a time while I need it to surround the text. Anyone have any ideas or know how I can replicate this exact effect?

Last edited:

PressRecord

Daily Vlogs on a Daily Basis!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Double Click your text, Then select Bevel & Emboss, bump up the depth, turn down the size, change the technique to Chisel hard and you'll have a similar look =)

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Double Click your text, Then select Bevel & Emboss, bump up the depth, turn down the size, change the technique to Chisel hard and you'll have a similar look =)
That's what I've been doing, I have the depth set to 1000% even lol, I have the size set to about 10, outer bevel and chisel hard. But it's the angle that stumps me, I need the chiseled effect to appear around the whole text not just 1 side. Here's what I'm getting:
upload_2014-6-26_11-43-9.png

As you can see the chisel effect only appears on 1 side, it's the right effect I'm looking for fortunatley, but I just can't get it to appear around all edges of the text. I've also tried converting it to a smart object and reapplying a bevel & emboss at a different angle but I stupidly forgot it would apply it on top of the original bevel.

PressRecord

Daily Vlogs on a Daily Basis!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That's what I've been doing, I have the depth set to 1000% even lol, I have the size set to about 10, outer bevel and chisel hard. But it's the angle that stumps me, I need the chiseled effect to appear around the whole text not just 1 side. Here's what I'm getting:
View attachment 20353

As you can see the chisel effect only appears on 1 side, it's the right effect I'm looking for fortunatley, but I just can't get it to appear around all edges of the text. I've also tried converting it to a smart object and reapplying a bevel & emboss at a different angle but I stupidly forgot it would apply it on top of the original bevel.
Change your angle until you get something you are happy with. I believe for what you're going for it needs to be close to the center.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Change your angle until you get something you are happy with. I believe for what you're going for it needs to be close to the center.
Already tried that, was hoping having it right in the centre would give it the right effect but it just doesn't work. I've tried removing the global light as well but it doesn't help. I think I need a way to completely remove the light so that it evens out the edges but it seems Photoshop won't allow it. I might try illustrator but I doubt that will be any better.[DOUBLEPOST=1403751528,1403751458][/DOUBLEPOST]Well it seems Illustrator can't do it either. It has the front option but it won't let me change the colour of the bevel -.-[DOUBLEPOST=1403752334][/DOUBLEPOST]I figured it out just before I was about to give up and add an extra stroke that was just plain grey. I had to change the 'Gloss contour' to 1 of the cone shapes so it does it on both sides. xD 2hrs to find 1 little bloody setting lol