|SOLVED| ELGATO Game Capture HD Audio Help

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I just wanted to know if anyone has had issues with audio being recorded too loud and causing distortion when it's played? I had it set to 0-12db that causes problems, then I set the audio back to it's default of -6db and it's still too loud, problem is, if I were to turn it down any lower it might not record any audio xD What settings do other people use?

I have tried googling it but everyone seems to be having issues with syncing and streaming as opposed to just recording.

Lilikoi Juice

I do all my own graphics!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
When you say audio, is it the game or mic? I don't remember which is default at -6 DB.
Also, what do you mean by you set it to 0-12 DB? You can't choose a range to set the audio volume to on the Elgato.

*I'm going to bed in 8 minutes.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
When you say audio, is it the game or mic? I don't remember which is default at -6 DB.
Also, what do you mean by you set it to 0-12 DB? You can't choose a range to set the audio volume to on the Elgato.

*I'm going to bed in 8 minutes.
Ah I was a bit slow and it was game audio. Also you can choose the range of audio on the Elgato you click the tools option and go to the "Audio" tab, otherwise it can be done under the "Game Audio" panel.

Lilikoi Juice

I do all my own graphics!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator
Ah I was a bit slow and it was game audio. Also you can choose the range of audio on the Elgato you click the tools option and go to the "Audio" tab, otherwise it can be done under the "Game Audio" panel.
If you are talking about the settings for the Elgato itself (separate window pop-up), that's not range, that's the volume itself (Analog Audio Gain). Just keep that at -6 DB--which is the default. Just try not to mess around with that, it's easier to adjust the game/mic volume through the drop-down on the Elgato main screen.

Now, what are you trying to do? Are you recording a live commentary with game audio or just game audio?

Ah, ok, I see you got it working, then. That's good.

Last edited:

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Are you adjusting the threshold and attenuation?
No, I didn't see an option for that, it just says "Analog Audio Gain" and it ranges between -12 to 12dB.

EDIT: *facepalm* I just realised the "Game Audio" panel is seperate to the Audio tab settings -.- omfg, how I worked in IT for 2yrs with my brain I'll never know.[DOUBLEPOST=1381845416,1381842626][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you are talking about the settings for the Elgato itself (separate window pop-up), that's not range, that's the volume itself (Analog Audio Gain). Just keep that at -6 DB--which is the default. Just try not to mess around with that, it's easier to adjust the game/mic volume through the drop-down on the Elgato main screen.

Now, what are you trying to do? Are you recording a live commentary with game audio or just game audio?

Ah, ok, I see you got it working, then. That's good.
xD yeah. Well I won't know for sure until I start work on GTA Online review but I'm pretty sure setting the actual game audio from 12dB down to 0dB and leaving the analog gain at -6dB should help. I think having the game audio at 12dB was causing the distortion and crackle when loud noises went off.

SilentRich

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
When it comes to the audio on my Elgato HD I rarely touch it, I think the defaults suit me just fine. Thank god for the default button.