Sold a Youtube Channel - Legal Issues ?

xHypa

Reaction score
Hey,
So someone recently came to me asking if they could buy my channel, since I didn't post any videos and didn't have time, I sold it. Now before selling the channel, I told the buyer the channel had a strike and he acknowledge that. Now after a month the channel lost partnership and is asking for 50% of his money back.

He is also threatening to contact a lawyer, I am wondering if the lawyer can do anything and also can this go to court because the terms of service has been violated.

The channel was earning nothing at all but was gaining views and subscribers, and still is without the partnership.

PLEASE HELP, Thanks :)

Aaron Kazah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Actually did you write up a contract? If yes was it stated in the contract. I believe he cannot sue you for anything. Because there was no agreement established. This guy is just syking you out, a lawyer wouldn't take it seriously. Take this for example. Person A bought a company off person B. Person A runs business for some time however Person A loses something important because of his own cause. Person A cannot sue Person B unless Person B didn't tell him there is a problem wiith it. But in your case you said you had one strike so I guess It's fine.

Best thing to say in this situation is just be calm. Tell him he can if he wants but he'd just be wasting money because you're already in the clear. And by buying the channel he may have violated youtube terms of service so automatically he cannot be compensated, in the end if youtube is contacted for this then his will be banned from youtube.

xHypa

Reaction score
Actually did you write up a contract? If yes was it stated in the contract. I believe he cannot sue you for anything. Because there was no agreement established. This guy is just syking you out, a lawyer wouldn't take it seriously. Take this for example. Person A bought a company off person B. Person A runs business for some time however Person A loses something important because of his own cause. Person A cannot sue Person B unless Person B didn't tell him there is a problem wiith it. But in your case you said you had one strike so I guess It's fine.

Best thing to say in this situation is just be calm. Tell him he can if he wants but he'd just be wasting money because you're already in the clear. And by buying the channel he may have violated youtube terms of service so automatically he cannot be compensated, in the end if youtube is contacted for this then his will be banned from youtube.
Thanks Aaron.

I was wondering if you have skype ? If so Please inbox me, I would like to talk to you privately.

We did write up a contract and it doesn't not state that the Seller has to Compensate the Buyer.

TYTDerek

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
This looks like a bit of a scam, and I don't think that the guy would actually get a lawyer to do anything against you. I think he's just looking for a quick buck out of you. However, keep in mind that the sale of accounts is against YouTube's terms of service, and you need to be careful when doing things like that, as you could put another channel of yours in jeopardy.

Aaron Kazah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This looks like a bit of a scam, and I don't think that the guy would actually get a lawyer to do anything against you. I think he's just looking for a quick buck out of you. However, keep in mind that the sale of accounts is against YouTube's terms of service, and you need to be careful when doing things like that, as you could put another channel of yours in jeopardy.
Exactly dude! I think it's just a scam. The guy bought the channel and by doing that he actually has no right to sue someone because he already violated the tos

xHypa

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah I know selling a channel is against ToS, but he came to me asking to buy it. I didn't advertise anything either. He has bought other channels too.

Around 500k+ subs with all the channels he has bought