So you want to be a partner.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I was going to abandon this forum because of the loads and loads of bad advice around and it seems like the good advice gets drowned out but I decided not to.
All the information here is obtained after researching topics. Its on an "as is" basis for each individual to decide the right path to success. "live long and prosper"

This information applies to everyone really but it applies to people wanting to partner the "mostest"

Here is a tutorial of things to avoid and or do to get yourself partnered

1) Quality of content - With the rare exception visual quality does matter that means you need a HD content and you need to know how to make it fill the screen. If you vlog get yourself an HD webcam and learn to edit the sound.

2) Views matter however if your not getting them genuinely and using deceptive means to get hits because you feel your not getting the right traffic your hurting yourself and the people around you.

If you use any of those hit generating site or sub generating sites you are pumping up your subs and views using artificial means. Its wrong. Youtube refers to is officialy as "stat gaming". It also means that everyone not using such methods have to work twice as hard or cave in and use these traffic generations sites as well. Traffic generating sites or "traffic rotators" cause false youtube rankings and lead people to believe your content is more sought after then it actually is.

Using fireviews, growsocials or likeperview or any of those sites is not real traffic or subs. Dont do it because at the end of the day it means you really didnt legitimately earn your Partnership. Just because your getting away with it does not mean its acceptable. These sites are not botting sites a lot people seem to think they are okay but they aren't. They are view farming/like farming systems with the same people churning round and round on a rotator watching you videos over and over again day after day. Its considered "bad traffic".

This info was pulled up on the google help forums when I typed in fireviews and again when I typed in growsocials.
Services for views, human or bot both violate the TOS. Services for subscribers is a violation of the TOS as well. If you have aspirations to become a partner, I would not use these services.
The service sites send someone to watch your video once. They become inactive subscribers/viewers and are no good to your channel anyway. A waste of your money and time.
YouTube offers promoted videos through Adwords. Advertising is cheaper than these services in many cases. When you advertise, it is geared towards the
demographic of your content. You want viewers who will come back each week to watch your content over and over of their own free will.
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1390443
Third-Party "Subscription Services"
Recently, some partners and advertisers have inquired about so-called “subscription services” that claim to increase subscribers and views while complying with the YouTube Terms of Service.
For most of these companies, those claims are false; the purchase or gaming of subscribers, views or any other channel features is a violation of our Terms of Service. If detected, the behavior could result in the suspension of your account.
the rule of "Its okay as long as I dont get caught" comes into play here.

3) Copyright - I have seen this trend growing lately and the concept of fair use its being abused

Fair use allows for NON-COMMERCIAL usage of small clips in your media for educational, reporting or personal use without asking permission.
Most people seeking partnership are not reporting or using educational means they are in the entertainment area this means this cant apply. So they are attempting to use "personal use"

Personal use - personal use under the youtube terms of service means that the video must be marked as private. So once you mark your video as public is not personal use its public use .
commercial use - for some reason youtube considers placing ads on things commercial usage. However there are companies that sell licenses for use on places like youtube for $5.00 each so that you can monitize videos with such music. The type of content that is okay for usage on youtube is royalty free content and since your partnering your likely wanting to use stuff commercially so look for licenses that all you to use the content "commercial reuse".

This site sells $5.00 licenses to allow for music to be played on youtube and collect money from ads. In my opinion especially with the present climate of youtube always asking for proof its probably the easiest solution to using others royalty free music. Because they give you a reuse license. http://www.audiosocket.com/

A lot of good music and sounds is found under creative commons
http://creativecommons.org/
http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos

your probably wanting something you can use with ads so you need to look for licenses that allow for it:
The most open ones are:

CC attribution 3.0 and public domain CCO "No Rights Reserved"

I stick to those because they have the least amount of loopholes.

4) Take advantage of other parts of the internet to promote your videos and yourself. Build a website brand yourself, use search engines to list your stuff. Avoid simply promoting on youtube in the end that is the biggest cause of people not getting traffic.

If you do it all "the right way" its not hard to get a couple of hundred views per video quickly and over time those views accumulate.

I found this the other day it seems the "right way" to do things and gives more infos
How to Spread your Video Over the internet MiniGuide to Video Search Engines

In general to get quality traffic no matter what the venue it takes 3-6 months to build a base those visitors will be your active subs.

Get yourself webspace I highly recommend wordpress in some form because it has a cms system build in which is what you will use to promote yourself on youtube. Get a free domain name like .tk to forward over the page or better yet invest in one at a domain registar they are dirt cheap these days!

There are sites like Yahoo listed in that tutorial you can use their video space to your advantage. Create video sizzle ads with a lot of 'pop' upload them and direct the traffic you get to your main channel. Presently I am using youtube as my mainsizzle promo site to direct traffic to other sources. Like blip tv and dailymotion. The reverse can be done too create a dailymotion account and make videos to direct them to your youtube channel.

5) keywording and titles - use them correctly it does help. Use ones that are accurate to the video.

Search Engine Optimization Guide
Youtube Keyword Tool

6) Social Media - There are a lot of sites that you can use to help gather some targetted views However before you start its probably best you work on your blog. After that get yourself a facebook account and twitter account and a myspace account for starters as these are the largest. You might want to add a google page and a stumbleupon page as well.

http://www.facebook.com
http://www.twitter.com
http://www.myspace.com

Although its a bit of work if you create a video sometimes its best to put it on your blog and twitter that although I am guilty of just twittering the video haha I find if you write some nice information with your video add a few screenshots and make it into a real presentation people are going to stop and look!

Example - You then post this using networked blogs and you will probably find you earned a few new subscribers. :) (you probably wont do this for all your videos unless you have a lot to say hehe)

Here is cool tool that many are using to get the word out
http://www.networkedblogs.com/

It also helps you track things like your likes.

Some social media rules. Try not to spam your users on either facebook or twitter eventually they will run away or block you. I tend to generally limit my facebook posts to 2 or 3 per week. Find other friends who have friends on facebook that way when they like stuff it goes to their friends. Some people use facebook groups and some people use facebook pages in all honesty if your wanting to support your subscriber base a group is good for people to ask questions or to invite them to a concert or viewing its also good for networked blogs. A page is good for your new video releases or any merchandise.

Another fun thing you might want to do is stream some of your more "cool stuff" and have an event. You can set an event date and invite them via the group then people can either join or decline and you know in advance . You can stream on livestream or other sites and offer them to review the footage on your main channel. I used to do this once upon a time the ability to interact in the chat room at the same time really helped a lot.

7) software - use legal copies. The fact is it does matter. There are tons of free things on the internet that are high quality

here is a list of links to totally free stuff that will infact help you to create video like the pros. The only thing missing is the camera unfortunately that costs money :)

pro video editing software

pro photo editing software

pro 3d software

audio editing software

In the end its up to you. Do you want your partnership the legit way or do you want to cheat to get there. Are you going to apply the rule "Its okay as long as I dont get caught"? its all up to you but at the end of the day what you do and how you get there does matter even if no one finds out it still matters. The more you rip off the system the more you hurt it. We live in a world that teaches the concept of 'self governance' its not okay even if you dont get caught.

lastly here is an artical on ethical marketting. How do you want the world to see you?

Anyhow if just one person learns the right way I guess these posts are worth it in the end :)

p.s. I will be updating this as I go along due to the fact well I want it to be a cohesive guide. Some of the links may not be totally up-to-date but the information and concepts are good.

vizibilityzero

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
using fireviews, growsocials or likeperview or any of those sites is not real traffic or subs. Dont to it at the end of the day it means you really didnt legitimately earn your partnership. Just because your getting away with it does not mean its acceptable.
Amen

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
lol its made me cranky lately. I decided to take the cranky and use it constructivly.

Unfortunately everytime people learn a new trick to rip off youtube... youtube clamps down and everyone suffers in the end. They are slow to do it because of its size but they do do it lol. I am tired of suffering from what I call "the trickle down effect in reverse" which is basically the rules being over enforced because of something some dudes thought up to "not get caught" .
--- merged: Jun 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM ---
Awesome....i think this should be sticked! :D
lol me too maybe michael will do it if he sees it. I might add to it later on because there is info like links etc to resources to help that I dont have time to add.

Reactions: Code

Stef

STEF SZN
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I was going to abandon this forum because of the loads and loads of bad advice around
Honestly urbanlamb if I had a dollar for every time you threatened to abandon the forum...:)

Anyway, there's some good advice there. I would say making the best content you can would be the most important - because I've seen plenty of people who maybe didn't have most subscribers in the world but still were partnered because they make great content. Like our very own JustKevYTP, VoiceofVanessa, and Symphonious. There are always going to be some people out there that feel the need to buy views, I personally wouldn't do it, and in the end if you're not making good videos it's just a waste of time.

Branding yourself and taking advantage of social media is very important as well. It's not smart to 'just' rely on YouTube to get you an audience, but there have been incidences of that happening.

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Honestly urbanlamb if I had a dollar for every time you threatened to abandon the forum...:)

well unfortunately you know i am not popular because i expect people to earn their shinies. So not only am I trying to do the right thing even if i dont partner I get dissed for it and quite honestly its a miserable experience. The reality is right now I gave up. The only posts that I make on this forum will be in the promo section and hopefully I can educate a few people. I have given up on this forum in many ways. I have also stopped using youtube for the most part. I am tossing my garbage on youtube and moved everything off. I am in fact pretty damned tired of watching people cheat the system and then go "look at me look at me". Its a real slap in the face. If you notice I haven't done a yttalk tag video there is a reason for that. There are some nice people here but unfortunately being nice doesnt make it okay to do not nice things. I grind posts now to earn cash for banners. I gave up on the social aspect awhile ago now. I find it very hard to socialize with people who are doing those things above. So I have abandoned the forums in many ways. I took my free stuff down I no longer say hello to anyone and I just promote my crap using any yttalk cash I can get. I came here for social reasons I am no longer here for that. I gave up you see.

Jason Ingersoll

ingerock productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I was going to abandon this forum because of the loads and loads of bad advice around and it seems like the good advice gets drowned out but I decided not to.

This information applied to everyone but the reality is that those not interested in partnering and just want to share cool stuff likely are not going to be trying to do these things.

Here is a tutorial of things to avoid and or do to get yourself partnered

1) quality of content - With the rare exception visual quality does matter that means you need a HD content and you need to know how to make it fill the screen. If you vlog get yourself an HD webcam and learn to edit the sound.

2) Views matter however if your not getting them genuinely and using deceptive means to get hits because you feel your not getting the right traffic your hurting yourself and the people around you.

If you use any of those hit generating site or sub generating sites you are pumping up your subs and views using artificial means. Its wrong

using fireviews, growsocials or likeperview or any of those sites is not real traffic or subs. Dont to it at the end of the day it means you really didnt legitimately earn your partnership. Just because your getting away with it does not mean its acceptable.

the rule of "Its okay as long as I dont get caught" comes into play here.

3) copyright - I have seen this trend growing
lately and the concept of fair use its being abused

fair use allows for NON-COMMERCIAL usage of small clips in your media for educational, reporting or personal use without asking permission

most people seeking partnership are not reporting or using educational means so we wont go there lol
personal use - personal use under the youtube terms of service means that the video must be marked as private. So once you mark your video as public is not personal use its public use .
commercial use - for some reason youtube considers placing ads on things commercial usage. However there are companies that sell licenses for use on places like youtube for $5.00 each so that you can monitize videos with such music. The other type of content that is okay for usage on youtube is royalty free content and since your partnering your likely wanting to use stuff commercially so look for licenses that all you to use the content "commercial reuse".

4) take advantage of other parts of the internet to promote your videos and yourself. Build a website brand yourself, use search engines to list your stuff. Avoid simply promoting on youtube in the end that is the biggest cause of people not getting traffic.

If you do it all "the right way" its not hard to get a couple of hundred views per video quickly and over time those views accumulate.

5) keywording and titles - use them correctly it does help. Use ones that are accurate to the video.

6) software - use legal copies. The fact is it does matter. There are tons of free things on the internet that are high quality

here is a list of links to totally free stuff that will infact help you to create video like the pros. The only thing missing is the camera unfortunately that costs money :)

pro video editing software

pro photo editing software

pro 3d software

In the end its up to you. Do you want your partnership the legit way or do you want to cheat to get there. Are you going to apply the rule "Its okay as long as I dont get caught"? its all up to you but at the end of the day what you do and how you get there does matter even if no one finds out it still matters. The more you rip off the system the more you hurt it. We live in a world that teaches the concept of 'self governance' its not okay even if you dont get caught.

Anyhow if just one person learns the right way I guess these posts are worth it in the end :)

Can u go into more detail on number 4? What sites do you use to brand yourself and do u put your videos on search engines?

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I do machinima so I go to sites that target that so that part is kind of invidual to the case.
My website has low traffic because its for personal use
but
You can make a site and put the videos on the site and put links to the site in your youtube description.
My videos end up on engines via my site that is good enough for me lol but you can get them on in other ways.
I found this the other day it seems the "right way" to do things and gives more infos
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2007/01/25/video_search_engines_and_online.htm

and by branding its name/graphics and matching keywords. So if people want to look for your stuff they can type in your brand and find them. I am not sure if all these video engines are still up and running I saw one that is not but just scrolling through again now. Anyhow that is how to get your videos onto engines directly.

Reactions: itsameray

Jason Ingersoll

ingerock productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do machinima so I go to sites that target that so that part is kind of invidual to the case.
My website has low traffic because its for personal use
but
You can make a site and put the videos on the site and put links to the site in your youtube description.
My videos end up on youtube via my site that is good enough for me lol but you can get them on in other ways.
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2007/01/25/video_search_engines_and_online.htm

and by branding its name/graphics and matching keywords. So if people want to look for your stuff they can type in your brand and find them. I am not sure if all these video engines are still up and running I saw one that is not but just scrolling through again now. Anyhow that is how to get your videos onto engines directly.
cool thanks for the tips

Reactions: urbanlamb

urbanlamb

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
cool thanks for the tips
each place has a different way to get your videos onto the engines
some by website (i just use that and slap my stuff on youtube it works for me well enough on limited time and for a hobby)
however some are direct submission and some you create an rss feed and submit that way.
so once you get set up you will be okay. I think wordpress has rss feed built in directly so if you get a wordpress account and post your videos there you can take the feed and submit that. :)