So Long Gamer YouTubers

omgurheadsgone

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most PC games aren't being blocked, right?
I know blizzard and valve have public pages stating they 100% support and allow video creators making and monetizing videos of their games on youtube. Mohjang as well.

HaileySimone

✈ IN THE AIR ✈
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Gamer
I know blizzard and valve have public pages stating they 100% support and allow video creators making and monetizing videos of their games on youtube. Mohjang as well.
Well, that's good, haha. Sucks for a lot of other gamers out there. Since I plan on getting an Xbox soon, I'll probably just stream on Twitch instead of uploading to YouTube to be safe.

omgurheadsgone

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, that's good, haha. Sucks for a lot of other gamers out there. Since I plan on getting an Xbox soon, I'll probably just stream on Twitch instead of uploading to YouTube to be safe.
The quality of live streaming directly from an xbox one is pretty bad I've heard. No respectable streamer would use it.

HaileySimone

✈ IN THE AIR ✈
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Gamer
The quality of live streaming directly from an xbox one is pretty bad I've heard. No respectable streamer would use it.
Oh, no way I'm getting that thing. I'm going to buy an Xbox 360 xD

Matthew Mikolow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Ranter, Reviewer
Companies claim they are losing income from it but I see it as free advertising for the company personally. I don't have a gamer channel but I have watched a few gamers on youtube it's actually got me into some of the games. Just my random 2cent

omgurheadsgone

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh, no way I'm getting that thing. I'm going to buy an Xbox 360 xD
Oh haha. Why not just stream PC games then? Basically all games on console are available on PC. And streaming on console requires a third party capture card like an El Gato or something. I guess certain games have a much bigger community on console though.[DOUBLEPOST=1386924287,1386923593][/DOUBLEPOST]
Companies claim they are losing income from it but I see it as free advertising for the company personally. I don't have a gamer channel but I have watched a few gamers on youtube it's actually got me into some of the games. Just my random 2cent
Honestly, the companies that really claim YouTube videos showcasing game-play from their games, is resulting in them losing income, are idiots. They either know that their game is complete s**t, and any videos made with game-play from it will just showcase how bad of a game it is, so they want to keep how bad their game is a secret until you buy it, or they don't recognize the massive audience gaming videos on YouTube receive, providing games with millions, if not billions of potential interested customers.

Games aren't freaking movies, or songs. By watching someone play a game, you do not get the full experience, not even close, rather, it just makes you want to play it. It's like being at a friends house, where they only have one controller, so everyone else has to watch one person play as they take turns. No one wants to just watch a game, everyone wants to play it. If the game is half decent, watching someone else play it will just motivate you to go out and buy it.

At least some of the really big game developers like EA, Blizzard, Mohjong, and Riot games, just to name a view, realize this, and even encourage gamers to post, and monetize their game-play videos on YouTube! The companies that develop and release big game titles spend millions of dollars, if not tens of millions of dollars on paid advertisements for their game!

Meanwhile, gamers on YouTube provide them with completely free advertising that likely, if all the views from videos created by gamers on a specific game are added up, reach more people then the millions that they spent on commercial advertising did!

The only reason again, that a company wouldn't want their game to be potentially viewed by millions, or billions of gamers for free, is because they know their game f*****g blows.

uberdanger

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
xD, I'm with a good network, who manages my channel. 0 content ID matches, even though I use a lot of copyrighted material.
Good network: they will sort your s**t
Bad network: you are ******
justmanagedthings

FiyahKitteh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Right, this topic.

I'll tell you the same thing I told my subscribers on the last 2 update videos I have made:
This all started because Fullscreen got sued by a MUSIC company.

YouTube hit the "panic button" and sharpened up their Content Claim ID (which is in no way harmful, BTW) system; except BECAUSE it was such a "panic reaction", they are basically using that thing
1) with "old" data and - even worse -
2) without the consent of most of the companies!

A lot of gaming companies have been making tweets left and right that "If you get hit, you should immediately dispute the claim". Go check Blizzard, for example.

This is NOT against us Gamers and it is - for the most part - about the MUSIC used in said games.
My friends have gotten some claims and everytime it was about MUSIC, which is absolutely let. Especially Nintendo is really hammering down on their rights, so if you get a claim by them, just acknowledge it.
Keep in mind that there is a great difference between a Content ID Claim (= You can't monetize your video anymore) and a copyright strike (= Have 3 and lose your channel).

In the cases of many other companies, you can usually dispute by using a specific set of words.
People like Fraser Agar from FarFromSubtle.TV aka Video Games AWESOME and TotalBiscuit have had a podcast just recently (they even had some gaming companies / developers in there) and pointed out the whys and how you can actually help this whole thing.
I made a run-down on my channel just yesterday, because people are panicking left and right (for no reason actually).

I personally also started to send out e-mails to gaming developers some weeks back, explicitly asking for permission to use, upload and monetize their gaming footage. It keeps you safer than just "assuming" Let's Plays or reviews are "Fair Use", because it can differ from company to company (see example of Nintendo).

I personally am somewhat sick of having people panick and - especially - saying stuff like "YouTube is killing the Gamer Community" OR people flat-out being p****d at the gaming companies, when it is clear that many of them are actually on OUR side.
Information can be a great "weapon".

PS: Most networks never intended to "protect" us. In fact, most of them state it in their contracts. I am still utterly baffled where people got this myth from. Probably because one of the networks has CERTAIN licenses; which in the end you can get for yourself too, simply by sending out an e-mail to a developer / publisher.

Game Dive

Reaction score
I'd just go to Twitch if I were you.
Apparently a lot of YouTubers are having their videos flagged for copyright now.
Nintendo, Konami, Gamersfirst, & ATLUS is all I can find so far.
I feel like YouTube is just gonna get worse from here honestly.
Opinions?
Tha's incredibly stupid. People (youtube gamers) bring so much attention towards these games! Seriously I know several people including myself who look up gamer reviews of games before buying them!! I can understand a bit why these companies might be so frustrated, but COME ON, look at how many people brought attention to these developer's games!!! Also from what i'm getting most of these developers are okay with people putting these videos up for example: Ubisoft.

This is VERY frustrating because there are so many people who make a living doing what they love, and now their lives are going to be ruined because their reason for getting on youtube is gone.

I don't even think there should be a argument at this point. The companies that are taking rights are flat out greedy.

(EDIT) I agree though most of these companies ARE on our side.

Reactions: Wenry