So, I made my first video... how do I get it out there?

Which social media platform works for you?

• Facebook

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Instagram

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Twitter

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Reddit

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

iGamerYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello fellow Youtubers, I made my first video!
It's an introduction video to my channel, but I wanted to know, what is the most effective way to promote a video?
(Ex. which social media, how to promote, tops/advise on what to do and what not to do.)
I downloaded TubeBuddy and VidIQ so the tags are there, got a good description, thumbnail, and an end card.
I know that just by tagging videos properly isn't enough nowadays, and its up to us to actively promote our channel.
So, fellow youtubers, any advise for this newbie?
Thank you!​

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Add good tags, make a good description, a good title, and sharing non-obnoxiously over social media.
Sharing around videos in a non obnoxious way is quite tricky, but it can be done.
Rather than saying "Watch my video and subscribe" say something like "Hey, I made this video which is related to this topic"

Reactions: iGamerYT

iGamerYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Add good tags, make a good description, a good title, and sharing non-obnoxiously over social media.
Sharing around videos in a non obnoxious way is quite tricky, but it can be done.
Rather than saying "Watch my video and subscribe" say something like "Hey, I made this video which is related to this topic"
Good idea! Ill make sure not to sound like that. XD

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
The best site for promoting that has worked THE best is honestly this forum. Facebook is also a good place for views (at least for me) but not subscribers.

Also I watched your introduction and not gonna lie I almost clicked off during the cringe section. So maybe don’t put that in all of your videos. But I decided to stick around and I’m glad I did! The rest of that video was great and the music was spot on too. Can’t wait to see what else you end up doing! I also subscribed so I won’t miss it.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me it is Reddit by far... But it really depend on what kind of videos you do. Videos that are a bit provoking tend to do better on Reddit but as mentioned many times before, if you use Reddit for promoting your videos you should can expect a lot of s**t comments:)

Reactions: iGamerYT

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Setting up a social media account is for sure a good idea for people to keep updated (I personally use Twitter for that, but to each their own)
Reddit can be tricky, for rule of thumb I avoid very big subreddits and instead focus on the ones that are related to the theme of the video. When I did my Metal Slug video I promoted it in the Metal Slug subreddit, I went to r/retrobattlestations for my retro battlestation video, and so on. It's really about experimenting when it comes to Reddit.

iGamerYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The best site for promoting that has worked THE best is honestly this forum. Facebook is also a good place for views (at least for me) but not subscribers.

Also I watched your introduction and not gonna lie I almost clicked off during the cringe section. So maybe don’t put that in all of your videos. But I decided to stick around and I’m glad I did! The rest of that video was great and the music was spot on too. Can’t wait to see what else you end up doing! I also subscribed so I won’t miss it.
Haha I just wanted shock factor cringe, but maybe itll work again me so I might redo my intro video. [But I secretly love it]
Thats a one time thing no worries!
And thanks for watching the whole video and subscribing!
Ill try and use facebook, and ill be postinf around here too. :]

iGamerYT

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Setting up a social media account is for sure a good idea for people to keep updated (I personally use Twitter for that, but to each their own)
Reddit can be tricky, for rule of thumb I avoid very big subreddits and instead focus on the ones that are related to the theme of the video. When I did my Metal Slug video I promoted it in the Metal Slug subreddit, I went to r/retrobattlestations for my retro battlestation video, and so on. It's really about experimenting when it comes to Reddit.
Ive heard reddit is by far the hardest to advertise on, so Ill try to avoid reddit. I might do facebook. ;>

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Ive heard reddit is by far the hardest to advertise on, so Ill try to avoid reddit. I might do facebook. ;>
I wouldn't say hardest, but trickiest for sure. I don't really have experience with Facebook, so please share your discoveries on the forum!

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hello fellow Youtubers, I made my first video!
It's an introduction video to my channel, but I wanted to know, what is the most effective way to promote a video?
(Ex. which social media, how to promote, tops/advise on what to do and what not to do.)
I downloaded TubeBuddy and VidIQ so the tags are there, got a good description, thumbnail, and an end card.
I know that just by tagging videos properly isn't enough nowadays, and its up to us to actively promote our channel.
So, fellow youtubers, any advise for this newbie?
Thank you!​
Facebook has been my best platform. I use an odd method, I push my videos to big pages and rely on them to repost to their facebook page. I have also sold shirts this way. The key to that strategy is it has to be good content that they think their followers will like. One video that had almost no views for the first month suddenly got this spike from one strategic share. One page shared and another saw it and shared, so it cascaded into like 100k views over a few days. You can see the blue bars are zero until a sudden moment and suddenly out of nowhere it spiked.
spike.jpg